Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Transform error, when trying to change parent

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by azeitler, Mar 24, 2009.

1. azeitler

azeitler

I updated to 2.5 an suddenly one of my Editor scripts does not work any more.
    There is some weirdness and yet unseen error messages when my script tries to change a gameobjects parent. The transform is all messed up, there are errors in set_position, set_parent and overall accessing the transform (Nullreference).

What could cause this?

this is caused in a ExecuteInEditMode Script that raycasts to place the object on the ground below.

2. azeitler

azeitler

I am still getting this series of errors when trying to set the parent of a gameObject's transform component:

and after that the GameObject becomes invalid and a NullReferenceException is thrown.

Please give some advice - urgently!

3. azeitler

azeitler

Am I the only one experiencing this problem?!

4. Toxic Blob

Toxic Blob

I just had the "Unable to create broadphase entity.” error. Not sure what is causing it…. Time.timeScale is currently set to 0 and I had been away from the game for 5 minutes. Hmm...

5. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

I am occasionally getting the same error when changing the parent of an object (from editor script). I do not understand why there is any sort of actor initialisation taking place because the object already exists.

Full errors:
    • Unable to create broadphase entity.
    • Actor Initialisation failed: returned NULL.
    • Could not create actor. Maybe you are using too many colliders or rigidbodies in your scene?
    I can safely say that there are not many colliders or rigidbodies in my scene. When editing unwanted objects are destroyed using `Object.DestroyImmediate` as recommended in the documentation.

When this error does rear its ugly head, it recurs until I restart Unity.

6. yahodahan

yahodahan

Same exact issue as numberkruncher...except I'm doing some dirty dirty things a la mesh instantiating in the editor, so I expect a few errors here and there- just that this one makes zero sense as far as I can see.

Anyone have any luck finding the root cause of this? I've been using my editor script for a week-ish now, always yells at me about the meshes, but only recently did the "broadphase..." error start popping up.

7. thebarryman

thebarryman

I'm starting to get frustrated at a lot of performance issues resulting from my Editor scripts for generating procedural levels. This is the latest bizarre one that's popped up, and I haven't really found much help on the others either.

8. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

I did not find a solution for this issue, though since recent versions of Unity (3.5.7 and 4.0) I have not experienced this error at all.