Search Unity

Feedback Transferring Project through Hard Drive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caseyel, Aug 1, 2019.

1. caseyel

caseyel

Hello,
    I am a college student and I'm semi-new to Unity. For one of my classes, I decided to work out of my hard drive since my laptop is so slow and the last time I used an animation program, it crashed my computer. I thought this would be the best option so that I could work out of it on some of the on-campus computers.
    I was finally able to get a new computer, but for some reason when I try to open the project through my hard drive, it doesn't recognize it. I installed the exact same version of Unity I have installed on the old one. Both are windows. Please, any help you could offer would be appreciated; I'm just trying to get this project finished without anymore crashes. Thank you!

2. - General Discussion is not a support forum, please choose forums to post and ask for support more wisely
    - what did you actually do? removed the HDD and just put it in another computer?
    - do other things work on your HDD? (It's extremely dangerous to move a HDD without proper protection, there is a high chance to have data loss due to vibrations and small knocks)
    - what version of Unity do you talk about?
    ---- because if late versions, you need Unity Hub and add the project to the Hub
    - what exactly ' it doesn't recognize it' means?

angrypenguin likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Can you provide more information? Were any of the crashes blue screens? Because a program crashing shouldn't crash the entire computer. If the entire computer was crashing that's most likely a sign that the hardware was failing.

And based off of this I'm willing to bet that it was the hard drive that was failing. If I'm not able to access a drive I generally try to check the S.M.A.R.T. status (HDDs have internal sensors that will record its status and condition) of the drive. There are two different ways explained at the link below.

https://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    angrypenguin likes this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What do you specifically mean by "doesn't recognize it"? Include screen shots if you have difficulty explaining.

When a project is copied to another computer, or otherwise in a location where a project was not created on that computer, then Unity won't have it pre-populated in its list of recent projects. You just have to manually navigate to it.

angrypenguin likes this.
  5. caseyel

caseyel

Sorry guys, I'm brand new to this. I'm just desperate to get this done. To be more specific it is my external hard drive not internal. The version I have is Unity 2018.3.13f1. For "not recognizing it", the Unity project window says there are no projects and when I go through the Files window to try to open it there, nothing occurs when I click on the project.
    If this is not the appropriate forum, would you mind directing me to the proper one?
    Joe-Censored, how would I go about manually navigating it?
    Thanks for all your help.

6. USB 2.0?
    I seriously advise against it. It is super-slow. And there is a chance that it isn't the case that Unity does not recognize it, but it is super-slow while it opens.

This is expected.

Try to check the editor log file, what does it say about your attempt to open up the project. The log file location depends on what kind of OS you're using:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual//LogFiles.html

Editor and General support
    Also while we're at it: please do not use the feedback tag for support questions. It is for feedbacks, when you tell Unity if you have some feedback or idea how to improve the system itself. It just clutters the feed they're reading.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2019
  7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

As said above, not appearing in the list is normal until you've opened it once.

When you say "click on the project", what do you mean? Again, screenshots would help, because then we can see specifics rather than relying on ambiguous descriptions.

Regarding the correct place to post this stuff, the Editor & General Support section would be best. Don't make a duplicate thread, though. If you're worried about it, report your post and ask for it to be moved.