Search Unity

Transfer Games

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MoistDumpling14, Dec 4, 2018.

1. MoistDumpling14

MoistDumpling14

Hey everybody, I was wondering what the best way to transfer games from device to device is. For example, I made a project on and old computer and just got a new one. I put the project from the old one on my onedrive but all it saved was the assets. I made my game but it didn't even import the assets to the correct spots in the scene it just saved them. How would I normally transfer game objects from one computer to the other?

2. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

Did you copy and paste the entire project folder ?

3. MoistDumpling14

MoistDumpling14

Yes I did

4. MoistDumpling14

MoistDumpling14

All it
    All it shows is the assets in the assets folder and I have to drag and drop every single item into the game. I want it to remember where to put those things and put them together. It just shows the black grey space with a bunch of assets in the project folder.

5. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

Unless I'm missing something it should be fine. I often move projects between computers in this way. Have you tried copying the project again ?

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Ummm, did you bother opening one of your game's scenes?

7. MoistDumpling14

MoistDumpling14

It didn't save my scene and I think that is the problem. That's very odd though I feel like it should have just saved it in my assets. It's fine thank you for the help though. I think I will just put my assets back into the game. It wasn't really developed too far quite yet anyway, I was just worried about the future.

8. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

Yes that'll be the problem. You would have been prompted to save your scene if changes were made, but pleased it's sorted.

9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

It saves it to your assets when you tell it to. It is not automatic, since it is common to make changes to a scene for experimentation where you wouldn't necessarily want everything you do automatically saved. If you go to exit Unity or switch to a different scene, without saving the current scene, you will be prompted to save the scene because you have unsaved changes.

10. MoistDumpling14

MoistDumpling14

Ok, but just to clarify, my scene is still in my projects folder if I transfer games... correct?

11. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you save your scene to your Assets, then yes when you copy the project to another computer (or back up the project folder for your single computer) the scene is still in the same place you saved it. After transferring to another computer you may still need to open the scene upon first opening the project.

12. MoistDumpling14

MoistDumpling14

Okay thanks.