Search Unity

Bug Training freezing every 10.000 steps for 60-80 seconds

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by Thorce, Jun 17, 2023.

1. Thorce

Thorce

Hey guys!

As mentioned in the title unity freezes periodically during training. It happens pretty much every 10k steps and then it freezes for 60-80 seconds. This effectively doubles my training time and is extremely annoying.

I really appreciate any help on this!

Here is the training output where I marked the points when the freeze happens. After that you can see my hyper parameters

upload_2023-6-18_0-13-4.png

upload_2023-6-18_0-14-26.png

Unity: 2022.2.19
    MLAgents: 2.0.1
    MLAgents Py Package: 0.29.0 / 0.30.0

2. Thorce

Thorce

Figured out that this is most likely due to the buffer_size being reached.
    Is there any way to optimize it so that my training time does not get doubled ?

3. Luke-Houlihan

Luke-Houlihan

That's your buffer hitting full size and the model weights being updated. When the buffer_size is hit you'll run through a gradient descent for every batch_size in the buffer. If you watch the environment the simulation likely freezes at this point too. This is expected but you can probably speed it up using a fast GPU instead of the CPU for model updates. If your agent can handle the learning implications you can also lower the buffer_size to update more often but that just smooths out the spike, the cost of updating the model is always there.

4. mcdenyer

mcdenyer

@Luke-Houlihan it's been my understanding that CPU > GPU for PPO, am I wrong?

5. Thorce

Thorce

I solved my problem by using my gpu for training as @Luke-Houlihan suggested. Although using a gpu does not necessarily speed up the simulation, it does speed up updating the model by quite a bit.
    Using my gpu and training in a build with --no-graphics yielded a 8x training time reduction!

6. mcdenyer

mcdenyer

interesting @Thorce I will have to try that out.

7. mcdenyer

mcdenyer

@Thorce I was only able to cut 30 minutes off a 9hour run by using the GPU and I have a much larger network than you so I'd think I would see even a bigger difference than you.

Mind telling me which GPU you have and which version of pytorch and which cuda version you are using? Also how many agents are you training per enviornment and how many environments are you running?

8. Thorce

Thorce

I have an RTX 3080 and i am runnning pytorch 1.8.0+cu111, 1 environment and 16 agents.

9. An-u-rag

An-u-rag

@Thorce I just started experimenting with mlagents and the documentation is poor to say the least. How do we exactly "use" the gpu? Are you just referring to the --torch-device=cuda flag? I tried this but I barely see any different. Also I am using visual observations, so this means that I can not run in --no-graphics mode correct?

10. Thorce

Thorce

To use your GPU for training you have to install the cuda version of pytorch. As to running in no graphics mode with visual observation, I think that does not work, but I do ave very limited experience with visual observations