Search Unity

Traing to make a word conjugation game

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Pedro-Garcia-Huidobro, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Pedro-Garcia-Huidobro

Pedro-Garcia-Huidobro

Hi everybody:

TLDR: I have no idea how to make a word conjugation game

Long story:

I work in an education startup and to make our classes better I was asked to look into a “word conjugation game” Something that’s easy to do on paper but we would like to have a proper game version.

The structure is easy, something like

Given the pronoun(it) and verb(play), what is the conjugation? (plays).

I’m traying to do all in a 2D UI environment, did this tutorial https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/scripting/introduction-and-goals?playlist=17117, and in general tried to make it as simple as possible, but my mostly hobbyist experience is proving to be not enough I’m falling at the coding syntax :/

Any advice, tutorial, assets, that you can recommend?

Attached Files:

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

If I were in your situation — and understand that I've been a professional Unity developer for most of a decade — I wouldn't use Unity for this. I'd probably just use Anki or some other off-the-shelf SRS software.

If for some reason I really had to make a custom app for it, I'd probably use Xojo.

If you still insist on using Unity, then there's no shortcut; go to the Learn link at the top of this page, and start working your way through the tutorials, focusing on UI. And yeah, beyond Unity itself, there's a decent amount of programming involved, especially if you're going to implement spaced repetition (which you certainly should, or else you're wasting your students' time). So, see recommendations above. :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  3. Pedro-Garcia-Huidobro

Pedro-Garcia-Huidobro

That helps a lot!!

Thanks

I’ll try Anki and Xojo.

Probably will work on Unity as a challenge for myself later

JoeStrout likes this.
  4. Pedro-Garcia-Huidobro

Pedro-Garcia-Huidobro

Follow-up questions

I saw this article https://unity3d.com/make-a-game-in-unity-without-programming

(I have more experience with block coding than regular coding XD)

And was wondering what would be more appropriate for my project.

uScript, PlayMaker, Adventure Creator?

I don’t complete understand how they are different.