Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question Train ML Agent on different levels

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by Taskmanager, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Taskmanager

Taskmanager

Hi,
    I'm currently developing an Agent for my racing game.

When I started training on my very complex first level, the agent made 2/3 of the track in 24 hours learning.

So I thought that I should train the agent on simple tracks first (a straight track, a simple round track,...)

But how do I train a previous trained model on a different game level?

Is "- - resume" the right approach or is there another command for learning on different environments?

For example is this right after the training on a previous different level?
    mlagents-learn - -run-id="PreviousRunId" --resume

Or is this the wrong approach and I should train different tracks simultaneously with multiple agents?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  2. awjuliani

awjuliani

Unity Technologies

Hello. You can run resume to continue training a model on a new environment, but I would recommend having many different agents learning on different tracks simultaneously. This will prevent any possible catastrophic forgetting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catastrophic_interference) which may take place if you try to train the model sequentially.

3. Taskmanager

Taskmanager

Thank you, I will give it a try. I've also seen that the karting micrograme uses multiple levels in parallel.