Search Unity

[Trailer] Reign of Steel - Massive Multiplayer Deathmatch in the browser

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by kayoone, Aug 22, 2011.

1. kayoone

kayoone

Hi Unity Community,

some of you might know Reign of Steel already, there was a thread about it here as well. We started to completely rework the game based on Unity 3 and the uLink Networking library early this year and today stopped the old version of the game and put our Pre-Launch website up. The new game will be released in September 2011:
    http://beta.reignofsteel.net/

Make sure to check out the new trailer! We are close to supporting 30 players at the same time in one game, have much more beautiful worlds and also completly revamped the community site of the game for statistics, rankings, friends list etc.

The game is browser based, free to play and offers virtual items. At launch we will feature 7 vehicles, 8 weapons and 4 maps with beautiful forrest, city and desert landscape.

Much more to come, Feedback appreciated of course!

Our company is called yoone and we are currently 5 guys from germany.

2. Dave@IonGFX

Dave@IonGFX

The tank physics and effects look pretty good. The environments could use some more levels/depth and complexity, especially the city. Looks good so far.

3. W4RH4WK117

W4RH4WK117

Looks very good, lots of work done. But I think the map maybe needs more buildings or something.

4. kayoone

kayoone

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah, maps arent in the final state yet, also keep in mind we are targeting the browser and relatively low end systems, so we cannot go bezerk on details because of filesize and drawcalls. Still working on the maps though!

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

Looking better and better :)

As for filesize: once you start to earn money you might want to consider contacting UT and license the cache addon license. I know we talked about that in 2010 already but starting to limit the potential of the project just to not be required to give that little share to UT seems to start hurting it more and more and that would be very sad cause its definitely lots of fun and could get a large loyal userbase if the redownload problem and "low quality to reduce size" problem could be brought under control

6. kayoone

kayoone

thanks for your feedback marc.
    Actually we finally signed the caching agreement last week and have it implemented already ;) But still we dont want to put new users through too much downloading but there are ways to push this further in the future by loading stuff while people play a tutorial or something.

7. Dave@IonGFX

Dave@IonGFX

I understand your position on overhead, but I was referring to adding more levels/depth with complexity in terms of arrangement of the map. For example the city is very flat and spread out from what I've seen. To make it more interesting without adding more overhead, consider using rolling hills, plateaus and terraced landscapes. More terrain features that break up the sight line will help give it a feeling of greater depth. I understand you want some wide open spaces for long-range direct fire effects, but I suggest adding some visual depth to make it more realistic and possibly more challenging.