Search Unity

Trail Particle that does not Reset itself!

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by StrawberryOctopus, Apr 9, 2019.

1. StrawberryOctopus

StrawberryOctopus

Hello there, I been trying to find out using the Unity Particle system how to make a Trail Particle that is still affected by its gravity settings, but does not reset itself after a period of time. I am trying to keep it a single trail particle, but as mentioned above, it keeps resetting itself to its neutral position (it would stretch up, before instantly resetting back to its initial starting position).

And Example of what I am trying to achieve with the Particle system is featured in this video (Albeit in this video, this effect is achieved using a line render code). Is they anyway to accomplish this effect using Unity Particle system?

I have tried looking on the forums and documentation for the answers to this, but no such luck. I think I may possibly be looking in all the wrong places?

2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

I would start with something like:

Default particle system
    Trails module set to ribbon mode
    Noise module enabled
    Simulation space set to world

That should already be starting to resemble the video.

3. StrawberryOctopus

StrawberryOctopus

When I set it to to those settings, nothing appears to happen?... No particles appear to be emitting. Maybe it would be helpful if I uploaded a screen shot of my current settings?

Attached Files:

4. StrawberryOctopus

StrawberryOctopus

Oh wait, I see what I was doing wrong; the Render Mode I set as disabled, thinking I didnt need the Particles; Turns out, they are important to it!

Thank you a lot richard, that helped a ton!