Search Unity

Trading Card Game Maker

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Melang, Mar 30, 2014.

?

What would you like to see in this kit:

1. lots of pre-coded spell and creature effects (ex. copy creature, double strike)

224 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. cool 3d effects, possibly a 3d background (ex. Hearthstone, MtG:DP)

147 vote(s)
    35.8%
  3. optimization for mobiles

182 vote(s)
    44.3%
  4. multiplayer

260 vote(s)
    63.3%
  5. card art that you are free to use in your games

106 vote(s)
    25.8%
  6. sound effects and voices

92 vote(s)
    22.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. moure

moure

Hey there Melang, could you provide an eta for the next update that supports the new ui?

2. Melang

Melang

Hi, this update (which is huge and also has other new features, not only the port to 4.6) is almost done, I estimate it will be ready in 2 days.

Exeneva and moure like this.
  3. moure

moure

Thanks a lot for the reply Melang :)
    Cant wait to try it!

4. nogard230

nogard230

5. 4EDEA

4EDEA

Hi, Melang.

This updadate is free for those who already purchased the asset?

Sorry for my english.

6. Melang

Melang

Hi 4EDEA, yes, updates are always free to those who have purchased TCG Maker.

7. Gunhi

Gunhi

sounds like you gonna release update TODAY? :D

8. Melang

Melang

There's going to be a little delay, cause there are still a few bugs to fix. I'm working really hard on this update, it's coming really soon now.

pleewpleew, Nerdzul, moure and 2 others like this.
  9. 4EDEA

4EDEA

Hi, Melang.

What will cover the new features in this update?

10. pleewpleew

pleewpleew

This looks great. Will save me lots of time.

I have a few ideas for future updates:
    -ability to set the faction/color/theme for the card that you are creating, for games that have factions(if not already possible)//and support for faction hero's(maybe with abilities)
    -more of a 3d environment would be nice, perhaps optional?(I am going to build for pc only)
    -optional expandable/customisable movement system/grid style system(look at duel of champions and another top selling game- mage wars. I am planning something with a similar layout or movement system as mage wars. you can also look at summoner wars.) this is an important option as many people like these kinds of games. Some people will argue this is not a tcg design, but I would argue that not everybody wants to build a clone of mtg, and have their own ideas.
    - another fun one, but might be challenging. an optional system for people who are building games that have lots of information on their cards. I am thinking specifically about double faced, -backed cards like in hextcg. Taking this further you could make it possible to edit stats and things during the game on that card, such as levelling them(again similar to hex) I am going to need such a system going forward.
    -Yugioh style flip magic, trap & creature summon.

When I mean optional here I simply mean that these are elements that you should be able to choose whether or not you want to use them for your game, based on what you are trying to accomplish. something like that.

Keep up the good work

regards

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    Exeneva likes this.
  11. Exeneva

Exeneva

As far as I know, separation by faction is already in the works.

I think as far as the kit is concerned, 2D is fine. The functionality can easily be adapted to 3D imo, and what's important is that the kit provides a strong code framework to build a card game upon. Magic online and much of Hearthstone is 2D. Most developers will be using their own custom artwork/models anyway.

I'm not so sure about Duel of Champions, as that has 'zones' and the old Zone System used in a previous version of the kit (before porting to the new UGUI) could accomplish the same thing.

As for grid movement, I can assure you that is already possible with the kit, but as to how much it will be supported beyond grid movement I cannot say. Grid-based games are custom for each game's design, so for a kit the basic movement functionality should be fine.

Both of these are actually the same thing. The exception is that face-down Yugioh cards have no functionality except 'flip up' while HEX TCG backs have information on them. Magic: The Gathering had a morph system similar to the Yugioh cards and a transform system in which the back of the card was an evolved version. Here's my favorite example from MtG:

The current version of the kit already has the concept of MtG's stack built-in, so adding flip as an effect shouldn't be too hard. Just be sure to continue to use the stack system instead of the way Yugioh does it, which is ridiculously convoluted. For example, in Magic, everything goes on the stack and resolves in top-down order, but in Yugioh, some cards are 'faster' than others so you have things like this happen:

-Player A plays Book of Moon on his own monster:

-Player B tries to destroy the monster with a card that only targets face-up monsters.

In Magic, Player B's effect would happen first since it hits the stack last (goes on top), and then Book of Moon would fizzle because the monster is dead and can't be flipped face-down. But in Yugioh, Book of Moon is one of the 'faster' cards and will resolve before player B's card. Sound confusing? That's because it is. Stick to Magic's stack system - it's way better.

nogard230, pleewpleew and dreamlarp like this.
  12. pleewpleew

pleewpleew

Exeneva. Thanks for the info. This kit is cool.
    And yea...Yugioh stack system was a bit weird. I also like the hero hitpoint system of mtg more(you could just use a dice to keep track). I did like those face down traps and things though. In mtg players can play those kind of cards from their hand, but it did add to the bluff if you really had to.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  13. Exeneva

Exeneva

Just curious - has anyone heard from Melang recently?

14. moure

moure

I also sent him a pm a couple of days ago but i got no answer. Hope everything is ok

15. JessieK

JessieK

I spoke to him about 2 days ago everything seemed fine just a bit busy I think.

Exeneva likes this.
  16. ironwill96

ironwill96

Talked to him last night on Skype and it sounds like the next update is 1-3 weeks away and will have lots of awesome stuff in it. It has been fully ported to 4.6 Unity UI but i'm sure he'll drop by here to share more details when he is ready.

Exeneva likes this.
  17. Lord0Zero

Lord0Zero

hello im new here, just got unity and i wanna make a game like this im used to c# and i would like a tutorial that shows u how to create one and the TCG maker is free and can we see the code or something?

18. Exeneva

Exeneva

TCG Maker is not free, it's an asset you have to buy. The source code does come included.

As for a tutorial on how to make a card game, that's difficult because each card game is unique. The kit is a good starting point though.

pleewpleew likes this.
  19. pleewpleew

pleewpleew

Hi....AGAIN!..Melang...and all teh peoples

I am exited...just cant hide it....lalala

Oh yeah another thing...lol.. I know I keep bringing it up. those zones that are in the kit, is awesome, now one thing that i would like is, say you use the setting where you choose to place a card in a certain slot, it would be cool if you could :
    -place them face down(again...yugioh style sfuff)...pardon this if you can already do this, i do not yet have the kit, as where I am from it's a bit of money. Can't wait to pick it up though.
    -If you could move a card from one slot to the next(like duel of champions), and maybe have the option of setting where those creatures are allowed to move to or be placed, based on what kind of creature it is or so(just be able to assign the slots that certain creature types are allowed to enter basically).
    -are able to face so that they look a little more 3d(not flat on a table, or view the table a litte from an angle basically, though with 2d stuff I guess this is difficult??)
    -a draw card from deck into hand animation setup would be nice.
    -also, There is this kit(I lost the link) that- has a very basic ccg tcg setup with booster packs, where you buy a pack, and it opens almost like HS, and you flip the unlocked cards one by one(I hate to keep bring up hs and yugioh all the time but what can you do). A system like this, just so that one who is kinda new to the unity environment, would be great, you could just edit or add to the functionality. maybe you could change in that editor thingy you've got going there, how many cards each pack contains, how many levels of rarety your game has, etc. I saw a post where you said you were thinking about boosters, so I thought i would bring it up again.

-A stackable effect would be cool(again, Duel of champions. This is a feature I need for a larger project, the first is just a samey samey game).

-some card scrolling ability(for when you go through all the cards that is in the graveyard-again, similar to Duel of champions) would be usefull.

-stacking cards instead of scaling them down to a smaller size(similar to the online dominion game) could be usefull for games where the players may need to play many cards in one turn.(playdominion.com)

Don't worry about all this too much though, you could keep some of the ideas for a future release, if they aren't already in.
    Also, do you have an email address? I don't know how to pm in this thing, and you sleep when I am awake it seems, lol.
    Another thing, Are you available to developers for help/special features? I would pay what I can, sure many other people would too.

Regards

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  20. 4EDEA

4EDEA

I can't wait for this update. I stopped my game just for wait this update. I think the new features will add more functions on my game.

Sorry for my english. Ç.Ç

21. NachyoChez

NachyoChez

First off, EXCELLENT job on this kit Melang, Exeneva, et all. I've been having a blast messing around in the code over the past few days (and have had no small share of questions on skype!). So far I've managed to arrange the battlefield to my liking, start the game with the appropriate cards in play, and modify the cards enough to play a few practice rounds of a game I've been tooling with for awhile now, but I've run into a pair of slight problems.

I'm working on a game with a set number of creature slots, and only the creatures in the 'First' slot can attack each other. I'd imagine it's possible, both based on the ZEMS demo and the grid code I see in the asset, but I'm just not able to put it together.

The second issue is that, like pleew asked, I'm wanting to be able to move between the slots (though I'm wanting to do it as an activated ability). Any help is appreciated, as this has just stumped me over the last few days.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    pleewpleew likes this.
  22. fenriii

fenriii

Thanks for this great kit, Melang.

I am looking for advice on attaching a card to another card aka equipment card to character card. As well is there away to attach cards to locations like in the ccg star wars, star trek or Lotr TCG

Any suggestions

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  23. moure

moure

Any official news on the next update progress? Nothing for over a month now :)

24. Cazziuz83

Cazziuz83

Any News on the update front ? I have to say this is most probably the best kit i have ever seen , it will make creating TCG/CCG games ,way simpler than they have been in the past simply because there is nothing not even decent tuts out there for showing people how to do it , Massive Kudos to the Creator.

25. Exeneva

Exeneva

Melang seems to be super busy at the moment. I'm not sure what is going on, but real life issues do happen.

26. Cazziuz83

Cazziuz83

Yes that is true , and I hate to ask here , buti cant seem to find anywhere that says how to do this , but is it possible with the kit, when you make it so there is 2 rows of playable slots,for the "ranged" to only go in the back row slots? and is it possible to limit a attack range? like the ranged can attack front and back row slots ,while the melee can only attack front row slots ?

27. vikas11040devlon

vikas11040devlon

Hey
    I just bought this kit and i really liked it.
    I want to confirm that is there anyway to get position of card loading on slot.i want to animate card by Itween so i need From it place it loading and place where it will load.

Please respond!!

28. Nerdzul

Nerdzul

Still tinkering a bit with the current edition I have a few questions that perhaps can be answered by someone who is more skilled with coding than me (so pretty much most Unity users :p) regarding the TCG maker plugin.

Is there a way to give to non-land cards the ability add colored mana?
    I mean I like the idea as a deckbuilding restriction to have mana\resources (in my case it'd be influence over different factions) that is generated at the beginning of your turn by your hero, with individual heroes providing different combinations of mana, however the current system only has an effect that makes colorless one, can anyone suggest me a solution (that is easy to apply for a coding noob).

How can I code card effects that use custom stats for the numeric values (ex deals damage equal to the card "spellpower") or affects them (adding a buff that increases spellpower)?

Also is there a reasonably easy way to code an advantage for the player who goes second? Or an handicap for the first one?

29. kilik128

kilik128

any canvas workflow update

30. Sprush

Sprush

Just chiming in with update curiosity

31. Melang

Melang

Hi guys. There's a lot of people asking me about the next update, so here's the latest info regarding the update situation.

- The update is 90% done.
    - The 4.6 posed a lot of challenges because of its bugs, and there are still some unresolved issues, which made me want to wait for an official fix, rather than implementing a weak work-around.
    - It's a complete rework, almost everything has been rewritten from scratch.
    - There is a ton of additional mechanics, I think you'll enjoy it.
    - Recently I had to do a separate job, and I'm finishing it Friday or before that, 100%. It's basically done. Which means I'm returning to TCG effective Monday.
    - Can't give you an ETA, I don't watch to jinx it.

Sorry for a little disappearance from the forums, I kinda wanted to come back with good news and I didn't have any before. TCG is not my main source of income and sometimes you just have to concentrate on your main job real hard. I kept answering all questions on skype though, and I still do, so feel free to add me if you need to ask something.

Alright, thank you all for your patience, but this time things are being set in motion again and the update is inevitably approaching.

pleewpleew, Sprush, Cazziuz83 and 2 others like this.
  32. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange

Hello!

My name is Simon Strange - I'm a long time game developer, mostly on the console side. The past two years, I've been working primarily on an online fighting game between giant monsters called Colossal Kaiju Combat - we've been on Early Access since August.

As a part of that dev process, I've created a spin-off card game, which I've been selling at conventions for the past couple years. There has been some interest in creating a digital version of that game, and I'm feeling motivated so I've decided to tackle that, and after some research, I've decided that this kit is the best place to start.

My CCG is NOT very similar to Magic, so a number of the basic assumptions underlying this kit will need to be adjusted. But I'm pretty confident I can slog through it. I'm not certain how much I'll try to keep existing things in-place, or how much I'll tear out and re-build from scratch. But I thought it would be nice to connect a bit with the community. I'll post questions & updates periodically.

(And if you're interested in any of my games, feel free to hop in at my company's official forums - I'm often around, or someone can ping me on skype. Check out http://kaijucombat.com/community/)

33. wilson1225

wilson1225

Looking forward to the new update!

34. Melang

Melang

A fix for a bug in the current version (reported by Simon Strange :) )

When you create a new card, add it to the collection and try to move it in edit deck mode you will get an error.
    Replace the EditDeckScripts.cs with the attached file to fix.

Attached Files:

pleewpleew and moure like this.
  35. pleewpleew

pleewpleew

Happy holidays!

36. mainframehacker

mainframehacker

Hey. For the dev, this has most likely been asked but is there a demo or trial version? I'm really interested but don't want to shell out 90 bucks and then find out it's not what I want or decide I just want to make my own engine or kit. Is there an eta to multi-player functionality? And lastly anyone that has this or knows from other kits, is this editable? Like can I go in and edit the code? This looks so dope! Hope to hear a reply soon.

37. JessieK

JessieK

There's a demo on the first post that you can play, there probably won't be a trail version, the demo should be more than enough for you to judge if it's for you or not. I own this kit you can go in and edit everything it's all open and the dev is really open about helping others out with any issues they might be having.
    Also this kit already has multiplayer the front post needs to be edited, this isn't upcoming it's done.

38. mainframehacker

mainframehacker

Thank you JessieK. I appreciate you giving me some info. I'm really tempted to get this. I've started and not finished a lot of games and I really want to finally finish a game and I decided I'd finish my TCG game idea. Big ups to the creator. Looks like I might be shelling out another $90 this Christmas.

39. DigiLusionist

DigiLusionist

I designed a Superhero card game and was looking for a coder to partner up with me on developing it as a digital card game. Now, I see this!

Will I, as a non-coder, be able to implement my CG without needing to do coding? Or, will I still need to know scripting?

40. GABARTS

GABARTS

41. Samlin

Samlin

Melang, Can you please tell us more on how are you handling multiplayer ?

You said you are using photon, so is there support for Authoritative server where key game logic decisions (like Card draw, Ai) are done on the server to prevent cheating ?

If not, do you plan to eventually support Authoritative server design ? Perhaps you can use Photon's server package or Bolt engine.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  42. wilson1225

wilson1225

Any updates on this? I'm afraid to start a project with a "total rewrite" coming soon. I'm wondering how much refactoring would be involved after the update if I start a game with the current release? I'm going to be deviating from the typical MTG setup (making a deck building game) and I don't have huge amounts of time to work on my game so I want to be as efficient as possible.

43. moure

moure

Hey there Melang, any news on the update?
    i 've been also waiting for the update :(

44. Shrikky23

Shrikky23

Hi,
    I've purchased TCG and I am trying to create a game from scratch. I understand a lot of things about this.
    My Questions:
    1. I am planning to make it a 3-4 Player game. Thus I want to change the entire Table space. That is why seeing you build from scratch, would help me customize and build it on my own with respective scripts for the functionalities.
    2. The Database in current version from the tutorials have changed, can u please tell me the link between the right xml file and this (the xml file demodb only has numbers - card ids, I cannot find the file where you associate each card with the respective id)
    3. How do I change the card type? For example I am trying to make a game more like a mix of Agricola and magic, So I might need different type other than "Spell", "Enchantment" etc. How do I modify those attributes.
    4. When I create a new zone, how do I say which card comes to that zone? For example I created a new zone called "Roles" where I assign a role for each member and it happens at the starting of the game (Only once). So I added 4 new cards (Role cards) to the database. How do I say that the Roles Zone gets card only from the Role cards?

If possible make a tutorial of how you made the Webplay demo from the scratch. I want to know how to make a game from step 1 using TCG. It will be very helpful for us.

Thanks you :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  45. 4EDEA

4EDEA

Hi, Melang.

When the new update will be released ? I did not want to have to edit all my programming because of the new update. There is still much to complete ?

46. Melang

Melang

I'm using Unity .asset file now (ScriptableObject). Within it I have cards and effects linked to each other using int id's.

It would take several weeks to make a tutorial like this, unfortunately that's not possible right now. TCG Maker is a fairly large project.

In card.cs the game checks what type of card it is, for example when the player has clicked on a card, and acts accordingly. Creating new card types is not supported at this moment in TCG Maker, but you can modify the existing ones by changing the logic in card.cs.

47. TheFoundation

TheFoundation

Hello Melang,

your TCG Maker project sounds great! I am a professional software engineer and I have some questions before I base my private project on your TCG Maker. I am posting my questions here because I think your answers might be of interest to others as well.

1) Update: Does the next update contain any breaking changes? When do you plan to release the update? (I do not want to start working with your system now and then rewrite everything tomorrow because your update is a complete rewrite. I am wondering how long I have to wait.)

2) Architectural design: Can you provide some information about your architectural design? How do you handle state changes and ability triggers? Do you have to keep track of all relationships between card abilities in your code or is it generic?

3) AI: What makes your AI a "strong" AI? Do you use any known planning mechanism?

4) Playable cards: Does this only involve available resources or advanced conditions (e.g. a card which kills an enemy needs an enemy on the board which can be killed)?

I am looking forward to getting started with TCG Maker!

Thank you for your time Melang!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  48. frogzilla

frogzilla

I have just purchased TCG maker to help me present a TCG 'concept/idea' i have developed. Thus I am using it as a mock up board. I look forward to actually extending the project for my custom Ideas.

Questtions:
    1. <strike>I have imported this from the asset store into my new project, but i do not have the 'Tools' that would give me access to the database editor. I am sure this is because I am a Unity newb and have never added a plugin to Unity so I may be missing a step. Could someone please explain if there is a step after importing the asset package into your project.</strike> [EDIT - I had a duh moment..... its under windows TCGEditor]

2. I have noticed that Melang mentioned that he is available via Skype. I assume this is to help support the product. How do I contact Melang via skype.

Suggestions:
    1. It looks like this asset only has this one thread devoted to it. I think it would benefit from a dedicated forum (e.g. on a remote hosted site.) which would also allow you (the developers/suuport) to showcase this toolkit and games developed with it. More importantly to this idea would be the ability to extend your forums based on granular topics.

2. In the OP for this thread, it would be nice to have contact information listed for the support of the toolkit. -- I noticed that you do have a link to current release notes in the OP, a similar link to specific important information posts (similar to a table of contents of Critical Posts) would be very useful.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  49. OmegaGrim

OmegaGrim

That looks pretty good. Nice job.

50. moure

moure

Hey, dont want to sound salty but there should be an update from the OP regarding the 4.6ui update.
    The first time it was mentioned was back in September/October and the last time on 1st of December when
    Its been nearly two months since the last update..