Search Unity

Trading Card Game Maker

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Melang, Mar 30, 2014.

?

What would you like to see in this kit:

1. lots of pre-coded spell and creature effects (ex. copy creature, double strike)

224 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. cool 3d effects, possibly a 3d background (ex. Hearthstone, MtG:DP)

147 vote(s)
    35.8%
  3. optimization for mobiles

182 vote(s)
    44.3%
  4. multiplayer

260 vote(s)
    63.3%
  5. card art that you are free to use in your games

106 vote(s)
    25.8%
  6. sound effects and voices

92 vote(s)
    22.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. leakads

leakads

Will you add support for Dark Forge GUI I use it thats why ;-)

2. Melang

Melang

Hi leakads. I'm not planning to add support for NGUI or Dark Forge GUI in the near future. Unity 4.6 comes out soon (should be out before autumn), and it promises an interesting new built-in GUI I really want to check out before I decide on whether I should add any custom GUI support.

The GUI in TCG Maker is really quite simple (Game mode has what, 2 buttons and a few stats labels?) and the source code is open, so you can just integrate it with the custom GUI of your choice yourself without much difficulty.

infinitypbr likes this.
  3. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I've tried to do the demo, but it requires registration which doesn't seem to be working.

4. c-Row

c-Row

Sorry for the late reply. I just feel that counters (by any name :D ) would add a certain flexibility for coming up with new game mechanics.

I could imagine a card ability like "Mercenary: During his turn a player can pay this card's summoning cost plus the number of counters on it to gain control over it. When he does, he puts an additional marker on this card", and a generic counter object which you could apply a type to might be easier to implement than adding buffs for every possible stat.

toko_ likes this.
  5. Power777

Power777

Hey Melang,
    Two questions:
    1) Just wanted to check on the visual scripting system one last time... I am not much of a artist nor programmer so was really looking forward to some kind of visual scripting system to use to "code" in. I am much better at visual "coding" systems than text only types for some reason. I just do not want to do a MtG nor Hearthstone clone so is there any word/info on the visual scripting feature for creating custom game rules/mechanics yet?
    2) I tried to add you in skype but couldnt find you. Is your display name the same as your skype username?
    P777

6. leakads

leakads

True very true!
    More effects please!

7. leakads

leakads

Pay the man!

8. leakads

leakads

True!

9. leakads

leakads

I think the use of Heroes plays a big role when the AI constantly attacks player ;-)

10. leakads

leakads

Yeah this must be fixed sometimes when the match ends and you press return to menu and start match again all the cards become blue!

11. leakads

leakads

yeah!

12. Melang

Melang

The visual scripting system is in the works, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon. I have a lot of other things to add before I integrate visual scripting, and I will be very careful about it, so I don't make life harder for those who wish to code it the regular way. If you're serious about making a TCG, I recommend to start learning C# and you can always ask me for advice in skype.
    Should've just added me :). My display name is LT (skype is melang1111).

13. Gunhi

Gunhi

does this kit use Photon? or Unity Networking

14. Melang

Melang

15. Bambak

Bambak

Hi! I'm sorry, I do not speak English!
    I have two questions-
    1. When will the new update and that it will be?
    2.Can players will buy game money? (Silver)
    Creator of the game can make money using this program?
    Thank you!

16. Bambak

Bambak

Here somebody there?

17. Power777

Power777

Melang, I guess i will have to wait to get your kit then till visual scripting comes in. I don't have good programming skills nor artist skills and so i know i couldn't program enough to make the kit do what i wanted to do. I mean your kit really looks super cool and all but as long as the only way to change the game play/rules is to textual code in C#, well its not something i can currently handle. sigh. I certainly would be buying the kit if someone was willing to code for me. (Private Message me if someone is willing?) Great looking system so far. i envy your coding talents and thank you for making this system for everyone. I have a question for you, How did you learn C# so well? Is there some secret to doing it easily? Well, anyway, keep up the good work and I hope your kit is a super success!!!!
    P777

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  18. Arghonaut

Arghonaut

Just learn c#, there are a bunch of tutorials in the teaching thread, then practice practice practice. You will always be restricted to the confines of someone else framework otherwise. I've made a heap of changes to this package to suit my game. Totally removed the zone system for one. And for example, removed effect processing from the update function, and utilised an interface instead of sendmessage for notifying targets, so i can process the effect triggers as coroutines and wait till one is fully resolved before processing the next.

Melang likes this.
  19. Melang

Melang

Hi Bambak,

The new update will be out very soon (this weekend most probably), I just have to finish testing the multiplayer. I will post the complete list of changes when it's out. The main additions are the mana colors and creature types, and also the highlighting of playable cards.

If you bought the kit, you are free to make money from your game. TCG Maker doesn't have any "buy silver" functionality built-in though. There is some basic "buy cards" functionality present, but how you want to handle the currency purchases is up to you.

20. Melang

Melang

Wow, seeing that someone has put a lot of work into building upon TCG Maker makes me proud. :) I'm sorry for the bugs you might have found along the way (the new build addresses a lot of bugs, so I know they were there :/ ) Do I know you on skype? Please don't hesitate to add me if you have any suggestions or questions.

Why did you remove the zone system by the way? Even if I am 100% sure about what I want the zones to be, the zone system helps me move them around in the scene with ease, it was a big step from hardcoding their x/y positions...

Thank you for the kind words. I don't consider myself a top programmer, but like Arghonaut said,

21. Arghonaut

Arghonaut

I have (partially) integrated NGUI, and find it easier to arrange cards using its UIGrid functionality, which like your zone system is easy to move around the scene. It can also be tied in with its scroll view and drag and drop actions to give hearthstone like casting and placement (creatures will move to either side to let one be placed between them). Got it working in a test scene, haven't put it in the main game yet.

Haven't got Skype, be good to know what bugs you have fixed in your update incase it is something i have missed.

22. Vaeloc

Vaeloc

Hi there!

Love TCG/CCG games and have always wanted to make my own so thank you for making this.

I had a couple of questions about future development before I want to purchase

1) Will be you adding the drag and drop card play like Hearthstone?
    2) Will there be the ability to create Trap cards like in Yu Gi Oh? (Really would love this to be added)
    3) Is it possible to change the mana system so each player gets +1 mana each turn like in Hearthstone, up to a cap of 10 for example?
    4) How user friendly is to set up and start creating? I am currently a beginner learning Java but have never used Unity before

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  23. Gunhi

Gunhi

many people want to do another HearthStone, myself included. :D

24. Melang

Melang

1.3 is here, and it's the biggest update so far. It was supposed to be two different updates actually, but they got merged in the end to save some time.

The webplayer has been updated to showcase the new features. Note that the user accounts for the demo have been wiped, so you'll have to register again.

Changes:
    Mana color system (ex. MtG, Pokémon...)
    - create as many different colors as you wish, assign images to them to be used as icons
    - there is also "colorless" mana that can be used for cards and mana costs along with the colored mana
    - card and ability cost can consist of multiple mana colors
    - different card frames per color
    - mana color icon placement on a card can be adjusted just like the attack/def labels and other card components
    - because of the different frames per color, attack and defense icons are now separate from the frame. This allows for some additional customization of the card template
    - mana colors are completely optional, you can switch them on/off anytime (for example HS doesn't use them)

Creature types (ex. Human, Beast, Undead...)
    - create as many different creature types as you want
    - a related trigger: when you play a creature of <type> . More triggers and creature type-related targets will be added in the future.

Creature specials:
    "can attack and use abilities on the first turn" (Hearthstone Charge),
    "takes no damage from spells",
    "takes no combat damage",
    "deals no combat damage",
    "can't attack",
    "takes 1 less damage from ranged",
    "takes no damage from ranged",
    "first attack each turn doesn't cause this creature to turn" (similar to HS Windfury)

- a new buff that allows to grant one of those 8 specials to target creature(s)

Playable cards highlighted

- Player cards in hand and in game that can be played are now highlighted by a glow around them

Custom sounds (per card)

- add a custom sound that plays when the card enters game or when it's ability is used, right from the card editor

- a new debuff that allows to remove all effects and abilities from a creature
    - 7 new attack/defense related buffs and debuffs (there were 3 before): you can now raise, lower, multiply or even divide attack/defense values

- all effects that use number parameters such as "deal < 5 > damage", can use "number of player creatures" and "number of player creatures that died this turn" instead. For ex: "Draw X cards where X is the number of your creatures". More counters will be added in the future.

- 3 new triggers: "at the start of your turn", "at the end of your turn", "when this creature attacks"
    - new targets:

all creatures
    card in hand
    creature from graveyard
    random enemy
    random enemy with cost X or less
    random friendly
    random X creatures
    random creature in hand
    random creature in deck
    random creature from grave
    random spell from grave
    random creature from enemy deck

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    pleewpleew, Vaeloc and moure like this.
  25. Melang

Melang

I have that in mind, but I'm going to wait for Unity 4.6 first, to see what functionality the new GUI will have.

I'm not familiar with Yu Gi Oh except some basics. The Trap cards are like Secrets from Hearthstone, right? What's the difference? It is possible to create Secrets with TCG Maker (cards that are not revealed to the opponent and appear as a question mark until their effect is triggered).

Yes, and you can set the cap.

You could watch this video and others on the channel. Note that a lot of functionality was added since those videos were made, but the basic principles remain the same.

26. Vaeloc

Vaeloc

Thanks for the reply!

Yes Trap cards are basically secrets from Hearthstone. They can be triggered by creature summons, creature attacks, spell casts etc. Few examples:

• When an enemy creature attacks, destroy it.
    • When an enemy casts a spell, cancel the effect
    • When your opponent summons a creature, reduce its attack and health to 1
    Thanks for the video links. I am definitely going to purchase it - so awesome to see such an active developer maintaining their product!

Any ideas what your plans for 1.4 are?

27. Gunhi

Gunhi

so far so good. It obviously needs a method for developers can create their own card's abilities. Visual Scripting maybe a solution but need more work on it.

28. Melang

Melang

Gunhi, adding new abilities currently is not hard if you know some C#. You don't have to be a pro. You just use the existing ability code and tweak it a bit.

For example, adding this ability through coding shouldn't take more than 2-4 hours. And since there are already numerous ready-to-use abilities, you would probably only need less than 10 totally new abilities, even for a serious game.

By the way, which abilities you would make if visual scripting was available? You mentioned Hearthstone, I'm planning for TCG Maker to have all the Hearthstone mechanics eventually.

29. Power777

Power777

Melang, Whats next to up for this fantastic TCG maker kit? From your description, v1.3 looks awesome!!! Keep up the good work!!!

p777

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  30. Gunhi

Gunhi

oh yes, I hope so! Just a bit confusing cause I haven't looked into the code yet. Anyway, this kit is on my next-step plan :D
    Could you please make a little HeartStone demo scene?

31. Exeneva

Exeneva

What do you mean by 'little HeartStone demo scene'? Kind of a vague question to ask the developer.

32. Melang

Melang

I think Gunhi means a new demo that resembles Hearthstone as much as possible (at least the mechanics), I get this request a lot. I'll make this demo eventually, but can't give an estimated time for now. It would make sense to make this HS demo once I've reworked the UI which will be after 4.6 comes out.

I haven't decided 100% yet, but I plan for the next update to focus on lobby and card shop stuff as opposed to card abilities. Things like card boosters and rarity, a better shop, in-game chat, mulligan etc.

pleewpleew and Gunhi like this.
  33. Exeneva

Exeneva

I think with HearthStone being more popular than Magic, it probably is better to have a HS-like demo in place of the current one, at least for showing off the kit anyway.

Lobby and card shop stuff are definite things to include. Would the card shop only support in-game currency and require kit buyers to add their own real-world payment system on their own, or would it support one of the Unity assets that handle this?

34. Unfurl_Games

Unfurl_Games

Very excited about the new update, keep up the awesome work Melang!

35. Gunhi

Gunhi

This is exactly what I was asking for. Can't wait for that.

36. caseyboundless

caseyboundless

please accept my skype request. CaseySWilliams52

37. JulienA

JulienA

Hey there, bought the plugin last night. All is well so far except the export card option in your videos on youtube. I can't see it in the version I'm on for some reason? Any idea why?

38. Melang

Melang

TCG Maker 1.3 is finally up on the Asset Store! Get it here
    Update notes

Hi JulienA, the database was changed from xml to Unity serialization and .asset file since those videos. To save/reload your cards, just use the two buttons at the bottom of the editor window (Save game settings, Reload game settings).

39. Totals

Totals

I am loving the package so far and cant wait for what the future holds for someone who is learning unity coding but not that great at it yet.

I have a question is there any way to get multiplayer to work in a game where you launch it as a standalone executable.

40. Exeneva

Exeneva

Are there any specific problems you are having getting multiplayer to work in standalone?

41. Melang

Melang

Totals, do you get the option to play a multiplayer game in the menu? If not, uncheck "Play Offline" on "Scripts" GameObject in MainMenu scene.

Exeneva likes this.
  42. Melang

Melang

Attention existing customers - there's a new bugfix build 1.3.2 available for download. It doesn't have any new features, but some important bugs have been fixed:

- an issue with player not being able to choose a zone slot
    - a bug that happened during the AI turn if autoincrement mana (Hearthstone style) was used
    - fixed the position of enemy mana text

Note that if you have the previous 1.3.1 version (which is displayed as 1.31 i think, by mistake) you don't have to replace ALL files, you only need to replace AITurn.cs, Enemy.cs, Zone.cs and Slot.cs, located in TCG/Scripts

43. Totals

Totals

Sorry this reply took so long to get back to you.

I misread the the setting up the multiplayer section and thought it had to be a webplayer version of the game in order to get it run the multiplayer. Is there any tutorials you could recommend that would help me understand how to get the multiplayer up and running for the TCG kit? I get how the photon network account works and stuff like that but not so much how to host a database and upload php files to a certain webpage.

44. Melang

Melang

Totals, the best way is to have a hosting provider that lets you create a database (I use mysql). Then check your hosting provider's website - it should have some sort of a guide on their FTP and db access. I use flashfxp as my FTP client, and my hosting provider has phpmyadmin which is pretty easy to work with. Both flashfxp and phpmyadmin have many tutorials available for them.

Also, some hosting providers have file managers built in the control panel, in that case you don't even need an ftp client to upload the files.

45. Exeneva

Exeneva

Most webhosts give you the ability to create a database from the admin panel. A lot of web hosts use cPanel, and here's a good tutorial (with images) on how to set up a MySQL database: http://www.interspire.com/content/2006/04/04/how-to-create-a-mysql-database-in-cpanel/

In regards to PHP files, first make sure your host supports PHP. Nowadays, most of them do. For uploading files of any kind (HTML, PHP, JS, etc.) to a web page, you'll need to use a FTP program. I recommend FileZilla personally. They have a pretty good tutorial on their wiki that you can follow.

Hope this helps!

46. Totals

Totals

Alright so I can just use a webhost like bluehost or something and then create a database and upload the php files and then just change what it says in the setup manual for the TCG Kit, and it'll communicate that way.

I know very little about web hosting so these questions might be bad.

I can just have a database, and PHP files on a webhost without like a visual website I built right?
    Theres a way to make the database like private for only me to see?

47. Melang

Melang

Yes to both.

Only the ones who have the database password can access it. Note that this password has nothing to do with TCG login system passwords. When the users log in, they get their credentials checked by a php script, but they can't access the database directly.

48. Totals

Totals

Alright so I have now tried to get it to work and I am receiving the error. Error:404 not found.

I have created the database using myPHPAdmin.

I have uploaded the PHP in a folder that is not visible to the public which is just the home folder.

Should I move the PHP scripts to the public_html folder this is where they recommend the index.html to be uploaded if you want a visual site?

What permissions should I give these PHP files, there's Read Write Execute for user group world?

The database columns should be named what they are in the documentation right after the name of the table. If there are 3 names in the documentation there are 3 columns and they are named that correct? Theres about 7 more options for each row/column and I'm just making sure not filling those is not what is causing this error.

And where you put host in the php files what are you looking for there I just left it as localhost but that might be incorrect.

49. Melang

Melang

Yes, you should move them to the public_html folder.

Leave the host as "localhost" for now, since the database is probably on the same server as the php files will be.

In the documentation the db columns are described as "int card_id, int cost" (for example), that means the column names should be "card_id", "cost", and their type should be int. Also, the first column of each table (usually named id) should allow NULL and use auto increment (A_I). You shouldn't care about any other options for now.

50. Totals

Totals

Alright got those fixed they default to 11 I hope thats okay for int.

When I go to change the primary key I get the error. #1075 - Incorrect table definition; there can be only one auto column and it must be defined as a key. I have tried naming it primary key id, primary key int id, primary key. How do I set it up to be a key?