Search Unity

Trading Card Game Maker

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Melang, Mar 30, 2014.

?

What would you like to see in this kit:

1. lots of pre-coded spell and creature effects (ex. copy creature, double strike)

224 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. cool 3d effects, possibly a 3d background (ex. Hearthstone, MtG:DP)

147 vote(s)
    35.8%
  3. optimization for mobiles

182 vote(s)
    44.3%
  4. multiplayer

260 vote(s)
    63.3%
  5. card art that you are free to use in your games

106 vote(s)
    25.8%
  6. sound effects and voices

92 vote(s)
    22.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Melang

Melang

Unity 5 instructions:
    1. During the package import it will point you to a line 67 in EditDeckScripts.cs:
      Code (CSharp):
      1. clone = Instantiate(card_to_move) as GameObject;
      In that line you have to add ".gameObject" after "card_to_move".

The import will continue after that, it can display some warnings, just press clear.
    2. Delete /Plugins and /TCG/Photon Unity Networking folders
    3. Download and import Photon Unity Networking Free, uncheck Demos and Utility Scripts when importing.
    4. It will prompt you to replace some names, click Replace, set up your Photon id and it will work after that. Don't forget to run the game from MainMenuScene.

*UPDATE August 3, 2014*: Build 1.3 has been released!

*UPDATE June 10, 2014*: TCG Maker has been released!
    Latest build notes

Hi everyone.

When I recently decided to take up a little hobby of making a trading card game on Unity, I've immediately noticed the lack of an engine to make games like Magic the Gathering, Hearthstone, etc, out of the box. So instead of simply making a game, I'm making a kit so anyone could easily make a trading card game of their own.

New Multiplayer Webplayer

I'm hoping to finish most of mechanics and other features quite soon, so the first release should be submitted to the Asset Store in a couple of weeks. I know it's a bit ambitious, but I'm so excited about that kit that I'm working on it full time. Anything you might suggest could also make it into that release. I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts, criticism, suggestions or feature requests from you guys.

Here's what's already part of the engine:
    - AI can draw cards, play spells and creatures, as well as attack with creatures
    - you can zoom on any card in the game by holding right or middle mouse button on it
    - possibility to have different decks
    - the deck is being shuffled before each game (or you have a possibility not to shuffle enemy's deck, like in Duels of Planeswalkers)
    - you can add new cards in a few clicks
    - you can create a spell or creature parameters (that's basically a full creature, just without the picture) in a few clicks
    - cards can carry up to 3 different effects per card (ex.: deal 4 damage, heal 4 damage and draw 2 cards). Currently, there are only 2 spell effects (heal and damage), but I intend on adding a LOT of them very soon.
    - sound effects, card frames and card icons that you can see were all created by me, so you'd be able to use those assets out of the box for your own game or easily change them*

[*] the rest of the art is there for demonstration purpose only, I'm not its owner

What I intend to add in the near future:

- finish the mechanics like targeting, blocking
    - make a library of effects, including the most common MtG effects and probably all Hearthstone effects
    - networking

Some screens:

$tcgm1.jpg

$tcgm2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  2. TopThreat

TopThreat

Hi! I have been looking for a starter kit for something like this that I can modify to my needs. I am not to worried about networking support although it could be nice. I would like it if the cards could be zoomed in a bit more (maybe middle of screen so they are easier to see? and if maybe you had some type of NGUI or other third party gui support other than unity gui.

Good stuff! I will keep an eye on this and look forward to seeing it in the asset store!

3. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Looks really interesting ... I'll definitely keep an eye on this. My first unity project was a magic-like card game .... used it to help me learn Unity.

I would agree on the use of a GUI using NGUI rather than unity GUI. I found the GUI to be the most time consuming thing for me when I did my card game so would definitely want this to be done for me. Multiplayer would be second biggest priority, I suppose.

4. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Would love something like this!

5. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Very smart idea!!
    I voted multiplayer because what good is this playing alone and also mobile. Make it modular. Have the ability to buy cards from a shop and you are good.

6. Melang

Melang

Thank you guys for your interest in this! :) I've updated the webplayer demo with a new build. Here's what has been added:

Vesion 0.2 changes:
    - Added a simple room-based multiplayer mode, try it with a friend or in different tabs/browsers and tell me what you think!
    - Added two healing particle effects and one fire effect, you will be able to use them freely in your game or replace them with your own particles in one click. You could also disable them if you prefer the old flashing blue/red avatars.
    - some database tweaks to allow for adding new game mechanics more easily

What I'm working on at the moment:
    - Deck builder for players, allowing them to remove/add cards from their deck
    - Point shop system, players gain some sort of currency for matches and can spend it on new cards in the shop
    - looking into NGUI

$screenmulti1.png
    $particles1.png

7. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Love the new update :) Very excited for this!

8. Leunam

Leunam

Nice work!

I'm starting to work in another TCG project and I would like to see this asset, can you provide a link to download it? It would be a nice starting point for me.

Cheers.

9. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

nice, subscribed

10. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Any new progress? :)

11. Eruheran4

Eruheran4

Looks awsome! I'm really interested in this projekt, but... your first link is broken.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  12. deiong

deiong

could it be adapted for card games that don't include stuff like magic etc like set it as gun hit instead of magic hit???

13. Melang

Melang

I'm currently working on a new build, there will be an update in a few days with LOTS of cool stuff, thanks for your interest!

Quite right, the link in the first post was broken. Thanks for mentioning it, fixed it.

You would be able to make any kind of game - from fantasy to sci-fi or anime. The concept and the art of the game is entirely up to you. I will try to include some art assets like particles or card frames, but it's not my priority at the moment. Right now I'm working on finishing the network code and mechanics, so that the kit doesn't require you to have any programming skills.

I'll talk more about it in the new update.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  14. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Awesome! Can't wait :)

15. Eruheran4

Eruheran4

Looks definitely awsome! Does hardcoding is recommended to implement our own code for our TCG's?

Ps: Multiplayer works perfectly. Do you use the Unity MasterServer for this?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  16. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I will watch your progress with much interest young jedi,:D

17. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Do you have an ETA on this about yet?

18. Eruheran4

Eruheran4

There should be also an automatic space calculator for the cards in hand.

19. Antarxes

Antarxes

This is a fantastic idea. One thing you might want to implement (that at least Hearthstone missed) is player to player card trading. That would add alot of value to the game.

20. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

And also card rateity.

21. Exeneva

Exeneva

This wasn't 'missed' by Hearthstone, it was an active design decision. Player-to-player trading is essentially what the Diablo Auction House was, except you used a medium (coin). By not having a trading option, you prevent new players from getting ripped off by more experienced players, you prevent real-world trading from taking place (third party gold farming sites), and you also get more money because the only way to acquire cards is through the game and not through another player.

This is a decision I support 100%. I also don't know of many recent online CCGs that offer player-to-player trading.

Hearthstone has card rarities. Besides percentage of getting a card from a booster pack, the primary indicator of card rarity is aesthetic - better card border, better picture, etc.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  22. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Hmm very good point.

23. ConnorC

ConnorC

So far looks amazing, whilst there are obviously some bugs and things that need to be added in the demo, it looks great I cannot wait to see how this turns out, if it keeps up like this I will pick this kit up for sure.

24. Melang

Melang

I'm happy to present the new build. :cool: This update took about 2 times more man-hours than both the previous ones combined, hence the long delay.

Webplayer

Multiplayer and deck changes:
    - user registration and login authorization
    - user deck and collection are stored on the server and are downloaded to the client when he logs in
    - edit deck interface: lets players move the cards between their deck and collection. It supports both card view and text view
    - search by card name in edit deck mode
    - players can buy cards with a currency that they gain by completing matches
    - promo cards: when the user logs in, he can see and buy several cards that you chose to promote (for example new cards)

Gameplay changes:
    - creature vs. creature combat: creatures deal damage to each other according to their attack value. The damage currently stays permanently (HS style), but I will add an option to regenerate it each turn MTG-style
    - to accommodate creature combat and buffs that will be included in the future, creature attack/defense labels are now separated from the card image and are updated when the creature receives damage
    - targeting: players can now choose a target for creature attack/user spells. If you like the gold cursor I've used for targeting, it's CC-BY, thanks to Daniel Stephens
    - creature death and MTG-style graveyard: it's where dead creatures and cast spells go

With an update this big, there are bound to be some bugs, so if you encounter them, don't hesitate to tell me :)

View attachment 96551
    View attachment 96552

Attached Files:

25. Melang

Melang

Just played with someone named "testuser". Steal Life OP! :)

Need to add chat in the next update, it shouldn't be too hard to add.

Upd: it seems that it's not possible to start a new multiplayer game after you've won/lost one. You have to relog first. I'll fix it in the next update, for now just relog if you're unable to start a 2d multiplayer game.

26. ConnorC

ConnorC

That was me, steal life is pretty OP I would complain at the designers :p

multiplayer works well now the only major bug I can see is that even after you have won the game or lost you can end your turn and keep the game going.
    Also chat would be great, so far I have played 2 people and had no connection problems or major bugs.

Other than that all I need to say is when can I get my grubs on this kit! Also planned price?

Edit: Also its not a major thing but being able to easily edit your portrait would be cool.

27. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Amazing! I seriously can't wait for the next update and to get my hands on this.

Will be perfect for what my friend and I have been working on.

28. shubhank008

shubhank008

Any idea when the asset will be available for use and modifications ? I want to start a TCG project so waiting to decide whether to start from scratch or make use of your asset template

29. Eruheran4

Eruheran4

Is a pre-version for some also avaible right now? Would be too awesome. :D

30. Melang

Melang

The key feature that I need to be done for the release is visual database and card editor. It will provide a way to add and modify your own cards without any programming knowledge or manually editing .xmls. This also checks for mistakes, for example it won't allow you to add a damage spell without an "amount of damage" parameter.

However, if you are developing a game right now, and don't want to wait until I have that editor ready, we could discuss it on skype: melang1111.

31. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

This kit is getting better and better. As a full game or mini-game it will be a very powerful kit. The force is strong with this one.

32. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

You have buying single cards but do you plan on making random booster packs sales?

33. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Also wondering about booster packs.

34. Melang

Melang

I am happy to present Zems Prototype, a game we made together with Exeneva for the latest Ludum Dare 29 Jam (a speed dev contest) :
    $elementalist_ability1.png

Zems is an unique MTG/Chess hybrid that adds a grid to the gameplay and almost removes luck of draw by letting the player choose his next cards! Read more about it here. All of the art was created specifically for Zems before the LD, but we still had to code it all - all the cool abiltiies and the grid functionality - in 72 hours. I also tried to add a random matchmaker (not enough ppl anyways :/) in the last hour, and Exeneva did a great job at making a really extensive tutorial. I still can't believe it's over and that I actually managed to add all the abilities from the "task list" we had.

So what does that mean for TCG Maker? Lots of updates in the next build! I feel that because of this LD I've added the features that would normally take me 3 weeks, in 1 week. Here's what to look forward to (already implemented in Zems Demo, not in my web demo yet though):

- creatures can have up to 4 activated or "on enter battlefield" abilities per creature, easily extendable to, well, infinite
    - tutorial mode
    - 3 creature permanent effects - "can't attack", double strike, takes halved damage
    - creature buffs and debuffs
    - new spell/ability effects: summon new creature, untap creature, destroy creature, make 2 creatures "fight", put spell from graveyard to hand...

Yes, booster packs will definitely be in. They are quite easy to add actually since TCG Maker already contains "buy card" functionality and db interactions.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  35. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Fantastic news. Good job at the jam. You guys should do one every week to speed up development like that. LOL

36. Antarxes

Antarxes

I've working with Dreamlarp on implementing the card game with some other packages we have. It's been a struggle because the Card Game maker assets aren't filed very well. It would help that, if in an update, the package came with all the assets under one main folder so when it is in Unity it stacks like Assets>TheCardGame>Scenes, Textures, Scripts, PUN, etc. Right now, when I try to reorganize things myself, it breaks the game and I can't figure how to do it without breaking things. Since we have other packages, and I'm sure others will as well, keeping things organized is important and to have a whole bunch of random files floating in the assets folder makes things more difficult.

If you have any ideas for how I can get around this myself please let me know.

37. Melang

Melang

Got it, will do it like this
    for the next update. The update should be done by tuesday btw. Meanwhile my skype is melang1111 if you need any help with the current build.

38. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Thank you that's what was slowing us a bit. Most kit makers should have all their folders inside of their one main folder inside the assets folder. till more than one project having the same named folder out in the open assets folder causes a lot of overwrite problems. But this project is so awesome we just have to use it.

Anyone who is not sure about buying this when it is released do not worry you will be pleased with the functionality and the amazing support.

39. Antarxes

Antarxes

Good Point, I had though about it more after replaying Diablo III. I'm glad its out but now I have nothing to spend my piles of gold on ;) I wonder if someone will ever develop a system that keeps auctioning and p2p trading in while keeping out the blackmarket aspects.

40. Melang

Melang

The new build and the visual DB editor are here :) Webplayer
    Note that I've wiped all the demo accs that you've made, because the starting deck and the collection are now quite different, to showcase the new changes.

Main changes:

- Card frame, art and text are handled separately now, and combined at runtime, with the old system left as an option. This way you can provide an image of the frame, and a spritesheet of card art, without having to make each card manually in photoshop.

- Visual DB Editor: it can be accessed from within Unity and allows to easily create and modify cards.

- Creatures now have abilities that can currently trigger either when creature enters game, in creature RMB menu, or when the creature kills an enemy. Currently there can be max 4 abilities per creature, easily extentable to, well, infinite. Webplayer demo cards that showcase the creature abilities: Undead Warlock, Battle Priest, Fire Guild Apprentice.

- Creature attack and defense numbers become red when the stat is lowered, blue when it is buffed

- New spell/ability construction system (check DB editor screenshot) allows for powerful construction of your own spells.
    Here are some example spells/abilities that can be done without any coding:

When this creature enters game, it deals 2 damage to 2-4 random enemy creatures
    Revive a creature from your graveyard and place it back in the game
    All friendly creatures get +1 attack until the end of turn
    When this creature kills an enemy, place a 1/1 Undead Servant in game under your command

I'm planning on making a video soon, explaining how to make new cards with the DB Editor. :)

$screen6.png
    $screen7.png $screen5.png

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  41. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Looks amazing! Can't wait to get it :)

42. matheusrma

matheusrma

Super cool kit.

43. dyrnwynn

dyrnwynn

Thanks for doing this; it looks fantastic so far.

I'd love to try it out and hopefully give feedback. I've played CCGS / TCGs for well over 20 years. I even owned my own gaming shop for a bit, play-tested games for a couple of companies (AEG, for one), and have done quite a bit of tinkering with my own card game designs.

How do I go about playing the current version?

44. Melang

Melang

thanks for your interest in this! :)

The web demo is almost exactly a Magic: the Gathering clone, because it's probably the most popular TCG out there. Each turn you can place a land (max 1), you tap (turn) lands to gain mana. Then you can use mana to play other cards such as creatures or spells - the mana cost of a card is in its upper left corner. Mana is reset to 0 at the beginning of each turn.

Creatures can attack the enemy player directly or other creatures. When they do, they deal their attack value (bottom left corner of a creature card) to the enemy. When a creature is being attacked by other creature, it retaliates, dealing its own attack value to the attacker. When a creature's life (bottom right corner) becomes 0 or less, the creature dies and goes to graveyard. Spells that has been cast also go to the graveyard.

Some creatures have activated abilities, you can access them by clicking with the right mouse button on a creature. They can have cost in mana - that means you will have to gain mana by tapping some lands before you can use the ability.

A creature that has attacked or used its activated abilitity becomes tapped (turned) - that means it cannot attack or use activated abilities again this turn.

45. BehindYou

BehindYou

When will this be available in Asset Store? Looks amazing, can't wait to get my hands on it

46. Melang

Melang

I'm planning to submit it for review this week after i finish the documentation, then after 2-3 weeks it will be available for purchase on Asset Store. If you're already working on a game, and would like to have the kit right away, you could contact me in skype: melang1111

47. Melang

Melang

With the release not far away, I would like to talk a bit about free artwork that is a part of TCG Maker. :) There is currently a total of around 10 quality artwork that you are free to use for prototyping your games (or even commercially!) if you purchase the kit. In this post I'm going to give you a sneak peek of one of them :
    $b55tllZ.jpg

This art was donated for TCG Maker by the artist Jessica Kings. Free to use as long as you purchase the kit and credit her.

Meanwhile, check out Jessica's webcomic, especially if you like anime/manga! http://www.cursedcomic.com/ :cool:

Note that the rest of the art in the current web demo is for demo purposes only, I don't hold the rights to it.

48. Melang

Melang

I've been working on a video tutorial on how to create cards and a default deck with the new TCG Editor.

Here are the 4 videos that demonstrate the complete process of card creation. I just wanted to give you an idea of how easy it is to make cards, to assign art and abilities, etc.

Part 1: preparing a sprite sheet in photoshop http://youtu.be/rulfFoz79f0
    Part 2: creating a simple card http://youtu.be/JJVdFKVm3tw
    Part 3: creating spells, creatures with multiple abilities, etc http://youtu.be/Ds2BwT_YUuI
    Part 4: adding the new cards to the offline deck http://youtu.be/3Khwgg8_iWs

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  49. Exeneva

Exeneva

The art by Jessica Kings is very cool!

The TCG Card Editor looks awesome as well. In the first video you resize the image so it fits in the card template. Will you be providing the pixel units of that area so we don't have to resize each image to a card and can instead just resize/crop? So say the empty space for the illustration is something like 300x200. It would be helpful to know the actual numbers for this area instead of having to put each image in the card template.

50. moure

moure

Hey, it looks really good :)
    I tried to make something similar last year (when hearthstone was in close beta and i couldnt play it, lol) but other projects came up and couldnt find the time to work on it. So its really great that you are making this, since id love to play with it!

If you need any help with testing/some art or anything let me know, cheers!