Search Unity

TrackedPoseDriver returning wrong position in 2019.3?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by JohnKP-Mindshow, Jan 27, 2020.

1. JohnKP-Mindshow

JohnKP-Mindshow

I've been using the TrackedPoseDrivers to great affect lately with OpenVR. However, after updating to 2019.3, the controller positions aren't matching up to the real world. I've unchecked use relative position, but it still isn't actually returning the correct versions of the OpenVR controllers anymore. No matter what, the controllers are floating a couple meters in front of me, and sunk into the ground.

I know TrackedPoseDriver is marked as deprecated (even though it was the replacement for a different deprecated feature?). But what am I supposed to use instead for OpenVR controller tracking?

Any thoughts?

2. Matt_D_work

Matt_D_work

Unity Technologies

Please raise a bug, we'll look at it.

3. JohnKP-Mindshow

JohnKP-Mindshow

I ended up figuring it out, it was pretty bizarre actually. It wasn't that the controllers were in the wrong place.

It turns out it was another camera in the scene outputting and tracking to VR that wasn't before the project upgrade. I'm not sure how/why the camera component was changed during the upgrade to output to "both" instead of "main display" which it was set to before.

Also, it seems in 2019.3 if a camera is outputting to the headset, it automatically applies the head position/rotation to the camera transform, making the TrackedPoseDriver unnecessary.

Looking at the docs, I don't see this change mentioned anywhere, and I would consider it a regression of funcitonality, as the TrackedPoseDriver gave you more control over how/when the transform is updated.

throzen likes this.
  4. Matt_D_work

Matt_D_work

Unity Technologies

Thats the "legacy" implicit camera tracking, assigning a tracked pose driver to the camera and disabling will turn off the behavior.

With the new input plugins, implicit camera tracking no longer occurs.

5. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

"
    Matt, can you elaborate on this a bit?
    What is the correct way to disable forced camera pose updates when using "Legacy" OpenVR?

bigSky likes this.