Search Unity

Track whole human figure

Discussion in 'AR' started by BigBene, Sep 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBene

BigBene

Hi!
    Sorry for the probable silly questions, but I have zero experience with Unitiy.
    In fact, I have not installed Unity and I'm asking to decide wether Unity with ARcore is the best tool to do what I want, i.e. if I should install it at all.
    I'm an experienced programmer at a hobby level, including 3D programming.

What I want to do is highlighting some special features of a real life scene in real time while filming it with the smartphone camera, expecially human figures, but also some features of the environment, like the corners of a room. I noticed there is a trackable object "face". If I need tracking the whole human figure with body and limbs. is there a solution available, or would it be within the scope of ARcore to program this feature by my own, or would I have to alter the source code?

2. BigBene

BigBene

Just a try to push my question. Really waiting for an answer. Or at least an opinion, if the question is silly or somehow wrong.

3. davidmo_unity

davidmo_unity

Unity Technologies

So, currently, ARCore does not support human body tracking. If you are looking for a simple, native way to track bodies in AR then ARKit for iOS does support human body tracking in ARKit 3. However, ARKit3 is only available on iOS 13 (currently in beta but coming our of beta in a few days) on certain devices (any device with some form of the a12 bionic chip or higher which is currently the iPhone Xr/Xs series, the 2019 iPad, and the recently announced devices). Unity itself an API abstraction layer called ARFoundation that is intended to allow users to write one set of code and deploy it to multiple different devices and OS's. While this layer does have a HumanBodyTracking implementation, it currently only works on ARKit3 enabled iOS devices but if you have access to that device then, ideally, the code you write there should work on ARCore when the support for human body tracking comes to ARCore.

Unfortunately, you will likely have to implement your own implementation of human body detection if you wish to do so on ARCore or find a library that does it. Unity does support the use of (managed and native) libraries as per this link:https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/NativePlugins.html so it is entirely doable if you find the appropriate libraries.

I hope I was able to answer your question or at least point you in the right direction.

4. BigBene

BigBene

Thanks a lot, this is the sort of answer I was hoping for.
    I need the application running on Android, so I will have to work out my own implementation, but as you said it seems doable, you even pointed me the direction go, so I'll give it a try.

5. ramphulneillpartners

ramphulneillpartners

Hi Big Bene,

Did you have any luck with this? I wish to start looking at Android side of things as in IOS this is all done now.

Many thanks, tim.

ROBYER1 and Futurristic like this.
  6. severyan100

severyan100

Also looking for a decent way to get this running. If there are any answers, please don't be shy to share :)

ROBYER1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.