Search Unity

Track environment for VR in real time?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Tezelian, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Tezelian

Tezelian

The idea is to convert an office with objects such as desks, etc into a VR environment, but the problem is how do you track real life objects in real time so I never collide and the starting position of VR player doesn't matter.

In other words is there a way to actually map your environment in real time to VR so there are no collisions?

I am guessing that I need to use sensors like cameras, etc to map the environment?

If I built the exact model of my office, how do I ensure that when I start my VR experience I am at the right location. Camera or headset tracking?

Can I track the location of the headset and basically before the application begins on editor mode set the position of that player?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

This is, in general, a pretty hard problem. It's the sort of thing ARKit/ARCore do, to some extent, but those don't generally also do VR (though it's possible in some cases).

What VR system are you using?

3. Tezelian

Tezelian

Hey thanks for your reply

Oculus Rift

If this is not possible is it possible to attach the VR controllers of the oculus to real life objects and track them.

So in the vr world I will create a table and on that table I will actually have a real life object with one of the controllers attached to it.