Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TowerDefense ToolKit 4

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Song_Tan, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

No worries. :)

2. andreigrigore

andreigrigore

For anybody else having the same issue: I had an animator on the prefab instead of the tower object.

Thanks for the help and the quick response!
    Much appreciated!

3. SorraTheOrc

SorraTheOrc

Hey songtan, picked up your TDTK asset this weekend and have my first level going. Very easy to use asset, I have high hopes. I did come across an issue though.

I want to introduce each element of the game through a series of tutorial levels. So my first level doesn't have many of the features enabled. I was really happy to discover that the UI you provide as a starter responds to things like the PerksManager being disabled. But I hit a but at the end of the wave, when the player wins:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. TDTK.PerkManager.WaveCleared (System.Int32 waveIdx) (at Assets/TDTK/Scripts/PerkManager.cs:139)
    3. TDTK.Wave.Cleared () (at Assets/TDTK/Scripts/SpawnManager.cs:375)
    4. TDTK.SpawnManager._CreepDestroyed (TDTK.UnitCreep creep, System.Boolean reachDest) (at Assets/TDTK/Scripts/SpawnManager.cs:308)
    5. TDTK.SpawnManager.CreepDestroyed (TDTK.UnitCreep creep, System.Boolean reachDest) (at Assets/TDTK/Scripts/SpawnManager.cs:292)
    6. TDTK.UnitCreep.Destroyed (System.Boolean spawnEffDestroyed) (at Assets/TDTK/Scripts/UnitCreep.cs:651)
    7. TDTK.Unit.ApplyAttack (TDTK.AttackInfo aInfo) (at Assets/TDTK/Scripts/Unit.cs:455)
    8. TDTK.ShootObject.Hit (UnityEngine.Vector3 hitPos) (at Assets/TDTK/Scripts/ShootObject.cs:276)
    9. TDTK.ShootObject.Update () (at Assets/TDTK/Scripts/ShootObject.cs:222)
    The solution is pretty simple, put an IsEnabled() check in the WaveCleared method of PerkManager:

Code (CSharp):
    2. public static void WaveCleared(int waveIdx){
    3.  if (IsEnabled())
    4.  {
    5.  …
    6.  }
    7. }
    Which led to another error and the need for another IsEnabled check like above in CachedProgress.

Assuming I'm not creating any side effects here can you please include these in the next update?

4. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for letting me know and sorry for the trouble. I've gone ahead and apply a fix to the bug. It won't be an issue in the next update.

SorraTheOrc likes this.
  5. BunnyViking

BunnyViking

Does this have the ability for mobs to attack towers ?

6. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

7. BunnyViking

BunnyViking

8. SorraTheOrc

SorraTheOrc

I would like to use TDTK on a terrain. So far this has worked. I have a terrain, a path, a creep and a tower. However, it appears that the creep moves towards the next waypoint in a straight line. On a terrain with undulations this results in the creep moving through the ground in some places and above the ground in others.

I an think of a number of solutions for this, the simplest being to set the height of the creep to the height of the ground on each update. I've done this using a separate MonoBehaviour but for some reason this sometimes results in the creep walking "in place", i.e. not moving. I suspect my code is somehow overwriting your move code, which is strange since I'm doing it in LateUpdate:

Code (CSharp):
    2. Vector3 pos = thisT.position;
    3. float height = Terrain.activeTerrain.SampleHeight(pos);
    4. pos.y = height;
    5. thisT.position = pos;
    Another option is to call this code in your move code, but I don't really like modifying code in an asset which makes it more difficult to upgrade.

I did think of putting more points on the path so that it better fit the terrain, but this seems laborious. I could code it but it would still only be an approximation. I'd prefer to have the creep just stay on the terrain.

So I have a couple of questions:

1) any idea why creeps sometimes walk in place when I run the code in LateUpdate in a separate MonoBehaviour?
    2) would you be willing to add an (option) to have creeps stay on the terrain (happy to do this for you and send a patch file)?
    3) any suggestions for a different/better solution?

[EDIT] I tried option 2 - it seems to work better, but at sometimes a creep will suddenly rotate through 90 degrees (facing ground) and then walk on the spot. I'm looking into it.

Thinking on it, I would love to be able to use a NavMesh agent here. In this case each time the target waypoint is updated I'd update the NavMesh Agent. This would give me some more advantages as I'm using Free Form tower placement, so having creeps able to adapt their routes might be interesting. I'll have a play with this too, but would love any guiding thoughts on this.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  9. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I ran the setup you described. The problem is the waypoints is on a fixed height, not mapped to the terrain. So if you force the creep to reposition its y-axis position based on terrain, they will never be able to reach the waypoint. Eventually, they just stuck on top of the waypoint.

An easy fixed to this would be to instead of using your custom script on the creep prefab, just attach it to the child object on the prefab which contain the mesh. Taking the default creep 'Creep_Base' for example, the mesh object would be 'Tank1' (you will probably need to place your target-point of the prefab as a child of the mesh-object so the shoot-object will aim at where the mesh-object is). This way the mesh-object would adjust itself but the root remain on the waypoint height. I should point out that this mean the height has no impact on the actual gameplay. But I recon it shouldn't make a huge difference anyway unless you have some serious elevation in your terrain.

The other alternative would be mapping the waypoints height onto the terrain. This of course require a lot of extra work.

Finally unless you are using free form tower placement, I doubt NavMesh is going to be useful here.

10. SorraTheOrc

SorraTheOrc

Excellent - that works, thank you again for your excellent support. I figure if I make the target point a child of the model root then the change in the models height will compensate, at least in part for the deviation between path and model height. In my quick tests this seems to work well.

Question: If I were to add a script to each of the waypoint objects that adjusted their height to that of the terrain would that cause any nasty side-effects you can think of (a quick test seemed to work).

I'll come back to Nav Mesh another time (perhaps). I am using free form placement. It's not actually part of my game design right now, but it might be interesting.

11. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

It only works if you are using a simple waypoint, not when you are using the whole build platform. A platform would have a lot of sub-waypoints that are generated during runtime. You can't just attach a script to them.

12. nnoom1986

nnoom1986

Hello, couple questions.

When selecting an ability in DragNDrop mode, it appears to respond on MouseDown, allowing you to click and drag to where you want to drop the ability. For towers, however, it appears to be on MouseUp, so you have to click the button, and then click the tower and drag it on mobile. Is there a way to make the tower buttons act the same as the ability buttons, and just attach the tower to your finger on MouseDown, removing the need for a second click?

Also, if I select an ability, then go select a tower, it keeps both active, so you get a tower with the ability effect around it. Is there a simple way to disable the ability when you click on a tower?

Thank you!!

13. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

It's an oversight from my end for both the issues. Please send me an email so I can send you the fix.

14. nnoom1986

nnoom1986

Thank you, that fixed both issues!!

Another thing I noticed, the custom icon that I set under "AbilityManager" and "PerkManager" keeps getting reset. I've tried all kinds of tricks to save it, but it just doesn't seem to sink in. If I close the scene, and reopen it, they've been reset to the defaults.

Any ideas on a workaround? Thank you!!

15. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for letting me know about the bug. I've just sent another fix to your email.

Fyi, assign the icon directly to PerkDB or AbilityDB in Resource folder should solve the problem.

16. MarvinH

MarvinH

Hi Songtan!

Thank you for putting this kit together. Loving the functionality. My design calls for the player to be able to click and command certain towers to move. This is simillar to most (90's Style RTS games. I looked at the Unit.CS code, but where is selection handled?

In a protoype I made on my own, I clicked a unit, that unit was stored in some type of list of selected units, If that list had a unit in it, the next right mouse button click would move the selected unit to the clicked location. Is this possible in TDTK? Which scripts contain the unit selection code, and player input? (Clicks)

17. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for using the framework and I'm glad that you like it. However, I should point out that the tower are not really designed to move in TDTK unless you are using free-form placement. Even with that, there's no collision detection. The creep can move right through them if you move them into the path. Having said that, there's nothing to stop you if you want to move them anyway.

Just fyi, The script that detect all player input and select unit is UIControl.cs. You will also have to deal with SelectControl.cs and UITowerSelect. Those two are responsible for all visual elements on displayed when a tower is selected.

Hope this helps.

MarvinH likes this.
  18. MarvinH

MarvinH

Thanks! Looking into this now. One clarification, I'm basically trying to make traditional units, not so much towers. Are towers parented to the location that they are instantiated on?

19. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Not really. Both the towers and creep works like a typical RTS unit in every respect except when it comes to movement. The creep is set to look for a move along the shortest path to their destination where the tower are stationary. In non-free-form placement, each tower is tied to a build-point. A build-point would block the creep if it's set as a waypoint and built on.

20. SorraTheOrc

SorraTheOrc

I'm having some trouble with the Perk Manager. I believe it's a bug. To repro..

1. Starting from a demo scene, do lots of customization, including adding 4 new towers in slots 1..4 (i.e. move them to the top of the list)
    2. Everything works fine with only my towers enabled, the ones that came with TDTK are turned off
    3. Turn off towers 2, 3 and 4 in the Tower Manager
    4. Create three perks to enable towers 2, 3 and 4
    5. Start game and buy a perk
    6. If I buy the one that is supposed to enable tower my tower 2 I get the Cannon tower which is now in slot 6 (originally in slot 2 before I added my towers), same happens for each of the other perks

I believe the problem is in the way the Perks handle tower identifiers. Line 253 of Perk.cs uses newTowerPID which is set to the index of the tower in the ordered list of towers. This is passed to the AddBuildable method in TowerManager.cs, however, this method seems to expect the prefabID. This is not the same as the index in the towerlist.

I note there is a `ResetPrefabID()` method that will force the PrefabIDs to match the index via the editor context menu, but I'm not sure what side effects this might have.

21. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

You are absolutely right. The bug is in the editor, which use the index of the tower in tower-list rather than the towers prefabID.

I've fix the bug and I'll do an update shortly but please send me an email if you want the fix in advance.

You can use ResetPrefabID(). But doing that will break the connection of the towers with anything associated with it (perk, availability in each scene and so on). I wouldn't recommend that unless you are at the very early phase of development where you are just setting up towers.

22. SorraTheOrc

SorraTheOrc

Thank you Songtan, I'd love the fix. I'm not sure of your email so I'll PM you and give you mine.

You and your asset are awesome. OOTB it works (with occasional edge case bugs - as all software has). The code is sufficiently well written that I can understand it and adapt it and your support is significantly better than average. I will say this as often as I can so that people making a buying decision do not hesitate.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  23. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thank you. Just for your information, you can find my email either in the drop down menu (look for Tools), or in the documentation.

SorraTheOrc likes this.
  24. nnoom1986

nnoom1986

Thank you for the perk and ability icon fix. They worked great.

A couple other things that I'm seeing:
    • The audio that I set for "Sound On Activate" under the Ability Editor doesn't seem to play when I use the ability. When I Debug.Log 'soundOnActivate' in Ability.cs, it comes up Null. Am I doing something wrong?
    • On mobile, when you first click an ability, the tooltip immediately pops up. With the towers, however, it doesn't. You can slide the tower away, then back over the icon, and it will show the tooltip, but it doesn't act the same way as the abilities and show it immediately on click. Your other fix for immediately selecting a tower worked great, and brought me to see this next possible bug with the tooltip.
    Thank you for all your work on this great asset!!

25. SorraTheOrc

SorraTheOrc

I think I may have found (and fixed) a small bug. I created my first resource tower that was supposed to provide 1 per second of one of my resources and 0 of the other. I quickly noticed that it was adding 2 of the first and 1 of the second. I believe this is a bug in line 533 of Unit.cs. In the current release this says:

Code (CSharp):
    1. list=RscManager.ApplyModifier(list, activeEffectMul.stats.rscGain);
    Note it is passing the effect multiplier but calling the ApplyModifier method. The multiplier is { 1, 1 } which with my towers {1, 0} I get a result of {2,1}. The same behavior is observed with the example resource tower you provide.

My problem is fixed by changing the above line to:

Code (CSharp):
    1. list=RscManager.ApplyMultiplier(list, activeEffectMul.stats.rscGain);
    I've not worked out what the next line does (534 in Unit.cs) but from the variable and method names I think it may have a similar problem - I'm not sure about this one though.

26. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@nnoom1986, I've tweaked the code on build buttons so it works the same way as the ability button. The ability audio not playing is definitely a bug. I've fixed that and uploaded another update.

@fgardler, Thanks for letting me know. You are right in both cases, both line533 and 534 needs to be changed to ApplyMultiplier. Just fyi, this has been fixed in the latest update.

nnoom1986 and SorraTheOrc like this.
  27. SorraTheOrc

SorraTheOrc

@songtan your latest update has broken resource towers. The error is in the code I highlight above (Unit.cs 534).

Modifying 533 as described above works fine, but modifying 534 results in zero resource additions.This line calls `GetMulUnitRscGain` in PerkManager.cs. This code appears to be applying modifiers not multipliers, hence I believe the second line discussed above (534 in Unit.cs) should not be calling ApplyMultiplier, but rather ApplyModifier (certainly this makes the towers work again).

I'm not 100% sure about this as I'm still learning your code and in this case the naming seems confused (which isn't typical of your code :)

28. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks again for point this out. I'm fairly sure the code in Unit.cs is correct. The problem is PerkManager.GetMulUnitRscGain() should have return a multiplier instead of a modifier (yes it's bug atm, my bad). I've fixed it and send a package to your email. I'll upload the fix shortly.

SorraTheOrc likes this.
  29. nnoom1986

nnoom1986

Hey @songtan, thank you for the official update! That resolved the majority of my issues, including Perk and Ability icon saving, and the audio for the abilities not playing.

On this one though, "I've tweaked the code on build buttons so it works the same way as the ability button," I'm not seeing any difference. The tooltip still doesn't show unless you hover over the towers a second time on mobile. Do I need to do anything additional to set that up?

Thank you!!

30. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'm now sure why that's the case to be honest. The build button are using the exact same code as the ability button. However here's a quick fix for the issue: Add OnHoverBuildButton(butObj); in the function OnBuildButton() in UIBuildButton.cs. Anywhere after the first line (line 117) will do.

nnoom1986 likes this.
  31. nnoom1986

nnoom1986

No worries, @songtan, you've been a huge help! I see the fix that you put in, and I see how this one would work if that one didn't, but for some reason, it still doesn't do it. There must be something somewhere else that's killing the initial popup when a tower is selected. No worries if we can't get it working right away. I'll peek at the code when I get a moment and see if I can spot what's happening. In the meantime, if you have any other ideas, lemme know. Thank you!!

32. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Strange. The quick fix works for me when I test it on my device. My guess is something else is probably calling UITooltip.Hide() after OnBuildButton(). Maybe you can place a debug message there to see if that's the case and what is calling it.

nnoom1986 likes this.
  33. nnoom1986

nnoom1986

Correction, I must have jacked up my build earlier, because the hover tooltip on towers actually IS working, now. Thank you!!

34. toddkc

toddkc

Hi there. I own the TDTK3, is there any upgrade discount to get 4 by chance?

35. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'm sorry but due to limitation of the store system, the upgrade price are fixed. It's not possible to offer any price reduction for any transaction.

36. toddkc

toddkc

You could give me a key :)

37. nnoom1986

nnoom1986

Hey @songtan,

I noticed that if you select an ability that uses one Select Indicator, and then go straight to choosing another ability that uses a different Select Indicator, it leaves the previous indicator on the screen AND activates the new one.

To fix this, I added AbilityManager.ClearSelect(); on line 116 of UIAbilityButton.cs, as the first item below the AbilityManager.RequireTargetSelection(idx) conditional.

If you know of a better way I'm definitely open, but just thought I'd share. Thanks!!

38. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@nnoom1986, Thanks for pointing that out. Your proposed solution is as good as any.

nnoom1986 likes this.
  39. nnoom1986

nnoom1986

If I disable all abilities (because I want them all unlocked via perks), it leaves the default Button gameObject behind on the screen. Then, when I unlock an ability with the perk, it gives me this error, because it's counting that default Button gameObject as an ability:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.

I attempted to simply disable that Button from the start, but it relies on it to put the other abilities there as they unlock. Any suggestions? Thanks!

40. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I just send you a package that should fix the problem you mention. Please try it and let me know if it doesn't work.

nnoom1986 likes this.
  41. nnoom1986

nnoom1986

It worked!! Thank you!

42. skyleen55

skyleen55

Hey, is there a way to assign audio mixer to TDTK audio manager? I mean there's a gameobject called audiomanager, i need to set audio files for each action. I've got an audio mixer for game, music etc sound, and i want to assign each sound to an audiomixer group. Thank you!

43. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'm afraid not. AudioManager uses it's own audio source to play the sound clip. If you want to use audiomixer to play the sound, you will have to modify the AudioManager.cs. I'm not familiar with audiomixer so I could be wrong but this modification shouldn't be too difficult. In AudioManager.cs, there are function for playing each sound file. What you need to do is simply change this to passing the sound file to audiomixer instead.

44. nnoom1986

nnoom1986

Not sure if this is by design, but I noticed another similar issue that can be recreated in "Demo_Linear."
    • Disable all the towers under TowerManager
    • Set Unlock Resource Tower to 'purchased' under PerkManager
    This results in the error:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index
    System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.ExceptionArgument argument, System.ExceptionResource resource) (at <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0)
    System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException () (at <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0)
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T].get_Item (System.Int32 index) (at <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0)
    TDTK.UIBuildButton.UpdateBuildableStatus () (at Assets/TDTK/Scripts/UI/UIBuildButton.cs)
    TDTK.UIBuildButton.Start () (at Assets/TDTK/Scripts/UI/UIBuildButton.cs)

I found this out by attempting to enable even my very first tower using a perk.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  45. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

It's the same bug you experienced when disable all abilities. I've fixed it and pm you a package. Let me know if that doesn't work.

nnoom1986 likes this.
  46. UlfvonEschlauer

UlfvonEschlauer

Hey,
    I finally have time again to work on this. Is there a way to prevent the UI that appears when a tower is selected from appearing for certain types of towers? As per our previous conversation, I am using dummy towers to temporarily block certain parts of the playing field. That works, but of course I would prefer the sell/upgrade/etc panel from showing if the users happens to click on the blocked playing field.
    Where would be a good place to implement code that checks for either the type of tower or say a certain tower name, then decides whether to open the panel on click or not.
    Thanks bud!

47. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

There's a simple solution to this. Just add a boolean variable in UnitTower.cs, say 'public bool dontShowSelectUI'. Then in UITowerSelect, function _Show(), insert this as the first line - 'if(tower.dontShowSelectUI) return;'. You can now check the dontShowSelectUI option for tower prefab which you don't want user to select.

Make sense?

48. UlfvonEschlauer

UlfvonEschlauer

Thanks bud! I will give it a try later today!

Edit: Worked like a charm! Once again, thanks for the help! This is coming along nicely!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  49. toddkc

toddkc

Can anyone that had V3 and upgraded to V4 comment on if it's worth it? It looks exactly the same. However I don't want to imply I wasn't happy with V3. I was, so of course I'm curious about V4. I'm going to go back through this forum and read, but I imagine searching 49 pages will take awhile so if someone wants to help me out it would be appreciated.

50. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I can't comment on if the upgrade is worth it (I'll be biased obviously) but I can tell you what you will get.

TDTK4 uses the same workflow and structure as TDTK3. That's why they look pretty similar on the surface. However TDTK4 is using an entirely different stats system that makes a far more modular and powerful attack, effect and perk system. As an example, you can setup multiple effects that do different thing (slow, damage over time, stun, stats buff/debuff, etc.). These effects can be used individually in unit attack and ability. You can then further modify things during runtime using the perk system (adding more effect to attacks, modify the effects and so on).

That is the one single biggest changes in TDTK4. Other than that It has a better path system supporting branching path. The code is more optimized, and easier for modification. And of course, there are also little improvement here and there and improve the work flow as well as giving you more option when it comes to customization.