Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TowerDefense ToolKit 4

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Song_Tan, Apr 18, 2012.

1. mixvio

mixvio

Hey songtan, I see that the first bug with picking a tower after cancelling has been fixed, but the second one involving immediately clicking the tower you just built before clicking another tile hasn't. Just a heads up there.

2. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

You are absolutely right, Joshua! Thanks so much for pointing that out. I'm very careless indeed missing that one.

I'm uploading another hot-fix to AssetStore. Should be available shortly.

3. bravery

bravery

Hello Song

I still have the problem of upgrade, I mean it's ok the parts are apperar right now, however the tower have a build animation so the parts will apprear with it's intial position, I mean by intial position is: the turret will apprear when it's at frame 0 and will contiune in the same way, that's really strange?

also I notice that the new turret because it's letter bigger than the first level turret (and that's normal), it's somewhat not flying in the sky?

Please advise how to fix these two problems?

4. bravery

bravery

please ignore my last post, problem solved.

5. Nekoyoubi

Nekoyoubi

I will most certainly be buying this here in a few hours. Looks amazing. I played through the demo and was just amazed at the level of effort you've put into this so far, Song. Kudos!

I am curious about something I read previously, though. In one of my TD designs, I have an element (primary component, really) of creep-to-tower attacking that I will need. Since I saw that was something you said you were working on, I would hate to start on my own implementation without need. Any word on the progress of this, or an estimated update date?

Again, amazing work on this! I can't wait to get in there and finally start on some of those TD designs. I think I've found reason enough in this framework alone.

6. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for the compliment! And thanks in advance for your custom.

I'm indeed working on the creep-to-tower attacking. In fact, the core implementation is almost there. Just the polishing, more testing and documentation left. So shouldn't be long, I would say you will definitely see something by the end of this month.

However I'm not entirely sure if I should be release this as an update or an add-on extension If it is an extension, it would be a new stand-alone $10-$15 package, with only the new creep component and more advance tower component of course. Therefore, I would like to see what are most people think about this. So please give me your valuable opinion. Do you think it's reasonable that if I do a separate extension package? I'll probably decide base on the community respond.

unity_ka6jgzfPPmtNCw likes this.
  7. Nekoyoubi

Nekoyoubi

Well, to be completely honest, I personally think that method may come across a bit too "nickel and dime" for your level of work. I mean, I don't mind paying the extra (not to say that I'm not glad I got it on sale in the first place), but I think the impression you've given with your levels of dedication and effort already have made your product appear to be more about providing a complete TD building experience for your community. I would think that simply raising the price of the package (if truly needed) would be better.

I don't want to make it sound as though you're ripping anyone off or anything, or that you don't have a right to charge what you feel is fair for the many exhaustive days and nights I'm sure you've worked on this. I'm simply providing my opinion that I have always (in my decades of development experience) felt that products that raise a community around their work should cater to that community and let that community bring them more money; rather than continuing to profit from early adopters. I guess its somewhat of a loyalty-thing with me. It provides an incentive for more people to become a part of those communities if they feel that getting in early will establish that bond better (and may work out better monetarily for them).

As a small indie myself and a corporate developer during the daylight, I personally despise feeling like I'm getting a solution that provides me immense possibility ("anything you can image!"-style), just to find out that I'll need to piece together a bunch of components to get the parts I really want. I would rather pay what's needed up-front and let my rapport with a product and its community build from there, rather than buying parts of an indeterminate whole and either feeling as though I have to conform to what I have, or keep running into things that I want to do and am not sure if they're going to be even more money I'll need to dish out.

All-in-all, it's obviously your product and you can handle updates/upgrades/add-ons however you want, but my opinion is that the TDTK should be updated and upgraded for those that own it as long as new buyers are rolling in, and if that means a price-hike for the new guys, it'll be worth it to them too because it'll be that many more "possibilities" for them to feel that they can truly own.

Anyway, that's just me. ;) Awesome to hear about the updates coming soon! I can't wait!

8. Mark_T

Mark_T

Regarding a possible payment scheme for the future development of this kit, my answer is that I would rather pay for the new features, upgrades, etc.
    Why? Well, it`s pretty simple. I bought and payed for the actual solution and I was happy with the price and the features the package offered. I expect solid support in the future, as long possible, of course.
    For future work regarding new features I would like to pay because this is the only proved method that will keep the developer focused and interested in this project. It`s safer for the future. Maybe a bit more expensive, but safer.
    Me too, I would like to have this creep firing back feature, I would also like to have a different UI solution, based on NGUI, maybe a more complete project examples, with a few levels built, a score, etc... Being payed for all this features, will increase my chances to have them.
    Delivered as an add-on will be fine with me.
    Thanks.

9. artzfx

artzfx

Developers adopting this philosphy would need to be charging $200+ for kits to begin with (but make sure they are complete and full featured at release) else they could not survive. I agree though that $10 here and there for a couple of features would diminish the product. UT need to get the Asset Store sorted out to accommodate upgrades for devs. That would fix this whole situation.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  10. bravery

bravery

Hi Song,

I prefere to add these fireback features in a seperate pack and make it as an add-on features with 10-15$ cost, because not every TD game have a firing back requrements, also as I can see it, it's a step in impoving the the TD game to be more RTS base game which something I like it, however i prefer if you keep the TD kit as it and keep adding new features packs, like in this case the fireback, maybe in the future a startigc AI solution pack that allow the enemies to be more intelletnt in building enemies and towers in stratigic manar, and so on.

I mean what if tomorrow someone want to build a TD game, but does not need the fireback fatures? then for him he pays extra money for faures he does not need.

So keep the base TD pack as it is, and keep adding new packs to extend it with new features is best strategy from my point of view.

Thanks

11. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Hi All,

Thanks for the respond and valuable opinions. artzfx does make a very good point, how great would it be if AssetStore would support upgrades/extension for core package.

After much consideration (Trust me, I have thought of all the factors mentioned, and those which are not), I've decided to make the new additions as part of the core package, without increasing the price I might add. Ideally I would really like to do this as a pay what you want item, but unfortunately there simply isn't any suitable channel which allow me to do so. Still, I'll happily accept any donation. :D Well, not really, only if you feel extremely generous. I'm quite happy with my decision.

@Mark_T, no, you need not worry that I might lose interest in providing support and necessary additions/updates to the framework. Not to say that this is not a business to me, but despite treating this more of a hobby than business at time, there's a standard I've followed and keep up, and I meant to keep it that way.

So yea, keep an eye out for coming update, folks!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  12. SketchWork

SketchWork

Hello Songtan,

Just purchased your kit and it is excellent. I'm having a silly issue with pathfinding. I have created a path with waypoints and assigned a platform to one of the waypoints and the blue path acknowledges that i've done this and the path moves when I move the platform - great! I then added a gameobject and dropped on the nodegenerator and pathfinder scripts. Run the program, but the baddies are ignoring if I drop a turrent in their path on this platform.

If I pause the game the nodes are showing red (ie. a blockade), but they just walk on through.

A bit confused and any help would be appreciated.

All the best on a fab kit,

Justin.

13. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Hi Justin,

Thanks for purchasing the kit.

I've done a bit of testing but frankly I'm struggling to create what you mentioned. Can you email me the screenshot. Also it would help if you let me know what are the setting you use. Such as those on PathFinder and NodeGenerator, as well as Path and BuildManager. Does the same issue happen with the example scene?

Also you can use pathIndicator on the path to visually show how the path navigate through the platform. Is the Indicator going through the blocked node?

14. SketchWork

SketchWork

You're welcome. I have applied the indicator and that too goes through the towers. The example is working fine so it is obviously me doing something silly :) Am I supposed to assign the pathfinder to another object anywhere?

Like I said I'm probably doing something silly.

15. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Right, there's a few things.

Try not to overlap waypoint over the top of a platform. A path between 2 waypoints (not-platform), will not be taken in account of blocking when creeps moving through. so if you place it on top of a platform, the creep will definitely run through it even there's are towers in the way. If you want your creep to enter the platform at certain point, you should place a waypoint beside it. If you want the creep to take certain path when it goes on a platform, you can place obstacle on the platform to shape the path. Look into ExampleScene1, there's an gameObject call "Obstacle".

But I believe the problem is that you have set heightOffsetOnPlatform's value on Path component too high when you are using path-smoothing. The towers are built on the platform and the collider are set close to the platform. If you have the node on platform set too high, there's a chance the path-smoothing will by-pass the tower since the raycast wont be hitting the collider on the tower. you can get around this by lower heightOffsetOnPlatform value or increase the collider's size/height on the towers.

Anyway I notice you have an error, I manage to replicate that as well but I doubt it has anything to do with the problem here. I'll look into it anyway.

16. SketchWork

SketchWork

Brilliant! It was the HeightOffsetOnPlatform which defaulted to 1. I changed it to 0 and now it works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your help.

Justin

17. mixvio

mixvio

Hi songtan,

I have another bug to report. It appears that while UI.cs uses onGUI appropriately (allowing for Unity GUI Skins to replace the stock text/buttons/etc) the GameMessage.cs file uses Unity's depreciated guiText method instead. This means that I'm able to replace the buttons, text and everything else on my own with a GUI skin, but messages like "Incoming Wave" and so forth render in the wrong font. It looks like that script would need a rewrite that's beyond my ability to do, so is there any chance that it can be updated?

On another note, regarding donations and/or "package updates," I would be happy to send a donation your way if you have a PayPal address some place. This package has been fantastic and has saved me an incredible amount of time. I wasn't able to see a donation link (or I missed it) but I'd love to contribute (especially if contributing will get the GameMessage.cs script fixed ASAP. :D )

18. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Well GameMessage.cs was originally intended as a way to show debug message on mobile device. Hence the guiText instead of OnGUI(). I'll see what I can do about it.

No, you dont need to donate for this. I will happily do it anyway. I'll send you a fix when it's done. :)

19. SketchWork

SketchWork

Hi Songtan,

I have a few more questions if that's ok.

1) Can you assign multiple energy types per creep? For example Shield and Health where shield can recharge over time but the heath doesn't go down until the shield is at 0.

2) Is there a buffing creep that can buff those around them?

3) Would it be possible to add the spawn number to the Spawn Manager?

many thanks,

Justin

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  20. zieme666

zieme666

Hey Songtan,

first of all keep up the good work. i think your TDTK is one of the best purchasable kits in the asset store.

My Problem: i try to create a new tower with my own mesh and animations. Everything is cool but i have some trouble with my animations because they don't work. I'm sure i do something wrong. i try to add the animations to the UnitTower script but i only can change the AnimationClips not the animations of "Build Animation Body" and "Fire Animation Body". Can you tell me how i have to do this right or how i have to setup my AnimationClips to work with the UnitTower script?

Thank You Very Much

21. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@Justin,

1. It's not the first time this is suggested to me. There's no such feature yet, but I'll see what I can do.
    2. nope, not at the moment.
    3. spawn number? I dont understand, can you please explain? As far as I know, there's all sort of spawn number for SpawnManager

@Zieme666.
    The creep animation uses the same system, you can refer to creep prefab to see how it should be done. Basically "Build Animation Body" and "Fire Animation Body" is the gameObject which the animation component is attached and will be played from. Try not to confuse them with animationClip. If you are still struggling, send me your mesh and I'll setup an example prefab for you.

22. SketchWork

SketchWork

Thanks for the reply.

I meant Spawn on death number. Don't worry it wasn't there so I have added it myself to the spawn editor.

23. zieme666

zieme666

thank you songtan! everything works fine! but i have one more question about it: did you think it's possible that the base object becomes the option for a animation too? So that the base and turret object has a fire animation but only the turret is looking at the enemy?

24. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@Justin, spawn on death number is pretty much a creep dependant variable and has nothing to do with the SpawnManager. I dont see why it's needed on SpawnEditor.

@zieme666, of course it's possible. However it's not there since I dont think it's that vital. I will add that to the next update. Please keep in mind that I have got myself quite a lot to do here and this wont be on top of the list. So this might take a while.

25. zieme666

zieme666

Great :) maybe if you have space on your list you can make it possible that there can be animations for the tower updates (like the build animations) ;) Greetings from Germany

26. SketchWork

SketchWork

@songtan In my case it is needed because I have several different level creeps running from the same Prefab and the higher level creep spawns more other creeps. that way I don't need a different prefab for each different level creep.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  27. Anicus

Anicus

Hi, your work is cool!!
    but, in next update please change your C# script name of file "Path.cs" to other name. Because it has the same as name of "Path" in Unity command eg. Path.GetDirectoryName , Path.GetFileName, that has many plugin use this command. For Example, I use Tk2d Tool kit plugin with your project. I must change your file name "Path.cs" to "Path_.cs" and change relation code inside other your C# file for keep it work together. It's not use more time but not comfortable.

I think your project is very very great, Keep going man.:p

Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

ps. or any body have other idea for fixed this issue.

28. Dreamora

Dreamora

Optimally rename classes and files to TDTK_XXXX. that way they are definitely unique (sad this is required just cause Unity 3.x does not support namespaces :( )

29. Anicus

Anicus

Ok, I see. Thank you :D

30. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

This is not the first time the issue has been mentioned to me. I apologize for being short-sight with the naming. I'll change the it in the next update for good. This might cause a bit inconvenience for some of the user as some re-assingment of Path will be required.

By the way, I'm working on the next update and have added in bunch of new features, mostly courtesy of user request. Also I'm trying to add a nGUI based example UI. I hope this wont take too long. Or else I'll delay the ui for the next subsequent update.

31. Anicus

Anicus

Sound good!!
    Thank you. :D

32. SketchWork

SketchWork

Great stuff Songtan. Looking forawrd to it.

33. Dreamora

Dreamora

Fully agree :)

34. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks guys. Just doing what I can and what I think is right. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

I'm flattered really. Especially when it comes from the mighty dreamora. :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  35. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Finally version2.1 is ready, or so I think it's. It's now being uploaded to AssetStore and waiting for approval. Here's the update note:

addition
    • Added component which allows UnitCreep to attack tower or buff nearby creeps.
    • Various behaviour can be set for attacking creep such as range/melee, stop-while-attack or else, etc.
    • new targeting configurable parameters for tower which uses direct targeting.
    • The new tower targeting option include area(all-around, fov, straightline) and priority(nearest, toughest, weakest, random). New range indicator support has been added for new added targeting area.
    • Added shield for both tower and unit, which can be regenerated over time. Overlay support included.
    • support tower/creep can now 'heal' damaged tower/creep.
    • added new rotation mechanism to TurretTower where turret turn in y-axis while barrel turn in x-axis.
    • change camera zoom-limit limitation and y-axis positioning clamp.
    • add option to enable/disable tile/selection indicator.
    • UI.cs now no longer use GameMessage.cs, and thus the appearance of game-message can be configure via GUISkin.
    • tower base now support fire animation.
    • Path.cs has not been change to PathTD.cs.
    • Added new example scene and prefabs.
    • Major overhaul on Documentation. Thanks for Lance.M.

bug fix
    • fix bug where tower cant be build on active path on platform when path-smoothing is disable.
    • fix bug where spawnEditor reset SpawnMode back to continous.
    • fix bug where projectile trajectory's angle doesn't calculate properly with respect to distance.
    • fix bug where overlay is not displayed properly when the parent unit scale is not set to 0.5.
    • fix bug where platform size will not be correctly auto-adjust when placed as child object where parent scale is not (1, 1, 1).
    • fix bug where creep spawned by destroyed creep resetting the path instead of follow it through, again.

It's quite a list to be sure. Some of the additions, specifically offensive creep contain mechanic which is a novel element. So it might not be as well thought out as those well establish TD element in previous version. On top of that, the new mechanic allows all sort of new level design combination. So I'm expecting bugs and rough edges. I apologize in advance and I sincerely hoping for community feedback to improve it.

If the feature you requested/suggested is not in the list. I apologize again. I'll try to incoporate those in the future. Finally, stay tuned, I shall post again when the update is online.

Oh, the webplayer demo has been updated, check it out!

36. Jolon

Jolon

Wow, awesome! Although it looks like I might have to scrap my prototype and start over again.

By any chance were you able to consolidate the TDTK files into a TDTK folder for clean import?

I've since seen other packages do this, so the asset store should accept.

Thanks so much for all the hard work!

I can't wait for it to be accepted as I was just doing some level design, I hope they are quick about it.

37. Mark_T

Mark_T

Many thanks for this impressive update.
    I really enjoy the new features, some of them are really new for me.
    Cheers,

38. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Version2.1 is now live on AssetStore. Download now and check out the new features! Please let me know if you come across any bug or if you have any feedback.

@Jolon, yes, all the files are placed in a common folder now.

@Mark, enjoy!

39. bravery

bravery

Great update Song, that punch of new features is amazing.

By the way I have check the online Demo 4 and found something might be a bug:

The tower do not shoot on the creeps that are moving in the surrounding paths (not creeps span directly in front of the tower) even if I change the targeting direction slide to face the creeps that are moving beside the tower, the tower still not shooting them.

So please look at it.

Also what about the integration with nGUI are you progressing it?

Thanks in advance.

40. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for the headup. it definitely seems like a bug. I'll try to fix it asap.

I'm working on the nGUI based ui. It should be a pretty straight-forward nGUI implementation just to showcase that the toolkit is in fact compatible with 3rd party ui. The problem is nGUI can only render texture in pre-made atlas, so it may not be as flexible as the default ui which can utilise the icon of individual tower and resource when switching scene to scene. I'm trying to get around that.

41. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I've posted a quick preview of nGUI based UI which I'm been working on on my blog. Anyone who are interested please check it out.

42. Gunhi

Gunhi

Could you make some Tutorials about GUI or how can integrate N-GUI with TDTK2. That's would be awesome!

43. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'll try when I manage to find some time for it. :)

44. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Your NGUI preview look good :)

45. sparky8251

sparky8251

I just updated to the new version of TDTK (2.1) and it broke my SpawnManager as far as I can tell. No creeps spawn after I hit spawn and the wave counter doesn't increment to 1. Is there anyway to get help fixing this? By the way, love the toolkit it's so comprehensive.

46. Sammual

Sammual

Does this work with a Hexagon grid as well as a square grid?

47. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@sparky8251, Is there any error or warning message in the log? I suspect the problem is that I have updated Path.cs to PathTD.cs. so you will need to re-assign your path in your SpawnManager.

@Sammual, I'm sorry, at this point the toolkit only support square grid.

48. sparky8251

sparky8251

The only error i get is related to AudioManger, and its just saying I haven't assigned certain audio. Aside from that my SpawnManager has the PathTD set correctly and it even goes as far as printing 'Game Started' to the console, even though the game doesn't start.

49. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'll try to find out what's wrong. Can you pm me the details of the error you are having, every bits helps. :)

50. sparky8251

sparky8251

Any chance you already have armor and weapon types on the production table? By that I mean armor has a resistance (positive or negative) to different weapon types.