Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TowerDefense ToolKit 4

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Song_Tan, Apr 18, 2012.

1. UltraTM

UltraTM

Thank you very much. That helped :)

Sorry editet post^^

Ok im now looking all alone whats missing

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Have you tried the default example scene. Does the tooltip work there? Have you change anything at all?

The tooltip position in runtime is with repsect to the templateBuildButtom. There's a chance that if you miss-positioned it. It will be shown off-screen instead of on screen in runtime. Also make sure the "buttonTowerTemplate" in buildPanel object contain UIButtonMessage component that call OnTowerTooltip with trigger set to OnMouseOver. If you have upgrade to NGUI full. I would suggest you to keep a clean copy of working TDTK using NGUI free. You can refer back to check if anything missing after upgrade to NGUI full.

3. UltraTM

UltraTM

Ok now im using unity3d 4.3.2f1
    and your asset up2date.

only importet your asset in a fresh project.

Now also with freengui the endlessngui example scene dont show up the tooltip.

I dont know what happend :(

4. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Does it happen to just the endless level or all other NGUI level as well? I've just tried it with my own copy and it seems to be working just fine. I'm downlaoding a copy from the AssetStore to try it out. But that will take some time. Just to confirm, are you refering to the build tooltip that shows up when the build button is mouse overed or something else. A screen shot would be nice.

5. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Alright, I've just tested the downloaded copy. All the NGUI scene are working. So I'm not really sure if we are talking about the same tooltip here.

6. UltraTM

UltraTM

Heres apicture
    http://www.picfront.org/d/93Co

i tried to uninstall unity but even this not erase all of it.
    so installed again importet your project an this warnings pops up

7. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

That I'm afraid is just to show how out of date NGUI free is. It's a relic for code written for Unity version3.5 and earlier. They are harmless though so you can just ignore it.

8. UltraTM

UltraTM

Hi,

i dont know why. But now i made the same on my laptop an it works.
    now copied the project to my pc open that and it also works now.

Dont know why this dont work when i make the project on my pc.

maybe a unity bug or something i dont know.

also the NGUI full gets working when i use Version 2.6.1

But also when i create a new project with the newest version. He say would like to import a complete project?
    i click yes. then also tooltip dont works.

You think about a file to translate or make a language switch for the game?
    would be really nice :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  9. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

When you say version2.6.1 are you refering to NGUI full? If so, try stick to the version that works. Note that if you already have NGUI in the project, you shouldnt import the full TDTK folder. You need to import everything except the NGUI folder in the TDTK. Bottom line, make sure you have no NGUI folder in the project if you are going to import one. Or make sure you didnt import any NGUI folder when there's already one in the project.

I've to say I'm not going to do a multi-language support atm. I dont see how I can fit the editing of that to the current framework. If the user have to end up digging into the script, there's really no point to it. Plus, could be quite a lot of work. I would be better off trying to build a NGUI3 compatible UI.

10. UltraTM

UltraTM

I tried many things on my maschine and laptop.
    But the newest version no ngui is working then.

I use one version earlier. But this works.

Only when i upgrade towers then all towers dont shoot anymore xD

Yes i mean Full version :)

11. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

No I have told you the latest version of NGUI will not work. The UI is compatible only to version2.7 and earlier.

Is this UI related at all? Or you have the same problem even when not using NGUI?

12. UltraTM

UltraTM

I mean the newest version of your asset not NGUI :)

I will test it tomorrow :) and give you a feedback.

Yes im Using ngui full 2.6.1 at the moment with old version of your asset because new one for me not works and with ngui full 2.7.0 also not.

and a little other thing.

On mobile the guis are very small at all. and the tooltip there isnt possible because of no mouse ^^ but thats ok and is so on mobile.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  13. im

im

@songtan happy holidays

congrats on the sale.

for anyone interested i licensed the asset from the unity asset store and its well worth it, easily one of the top assets in the store. and with the sale at an exceptional value. so dont miss out...

14. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@im, Happy holidays to you too. Hope you have had a wonderful Christmas! Many thanks for the endorsement.

@UltraTM, You mean the tooltip is not working even by default? That's real strange. It's working perfect fine here. What are the version of Unity are you using? The UI are not really designed for mobile in the first place, hence the no tooltip support. You can adjust the font size manually for most of the font. Something that is only possible with earlier version of NGUI (2.7 and before).

15. Vaupell

Vaupell

Just got this, and imported it into a blank project to start learning it.
    Only imported

TDK full and NGUI full,
    and i get this errors

So i tryed to delete the entire TDTK folder in the asset folder, and the errors was gone.
    So i re-downloaded and imported a secound time just to confirm the download was ok

And i get the same error.. :( #Unhappy

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  16. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Hi Vaupell,

Thanks for your purchase. First you have to understand how NGUI works. There can be only one NGUI directory in any project. TDTK already comes with NGUI free so import it into a project which contain another NGUI is definitely going to gives you error.

What you need to do instead is remove the NGUI full and it should works. You can import NGUI after you import TDTK. Just remove the NGUI folder within TDTK folder and then import the full version. Depend on the version of NGUI full you are using, there maybe a few missing script warning. Steps to fix that are written in the release note. Also bear in mind that NGUI free is not compatible with latest NGUI full (any 3.0 or up). It only supports up to NGUI2.7 or earlier.

I'm very sorry for all this hassle with NGUI. But unfortunately this is something beyond my control.

17. Vaupell

Vaupell

Ok Thank you, got it working without ANY NGUI.

Please consider entirely removing NGUI support since it's not really supported when not updated to match!
    I will head over to NGUI forums, and ask the developer how to aquire an older version of NGUI, because without Unity PRo
    we can only get the latest versions from the store :(

Good asset, would have been better without NGUI at all, just normal GUI.
    Even trying to remove the "free edition" from the TDTK just adds a bunch of errors, even though im using the normal UI.

I'll go see what "Tasharen" has to say on this.

EDIT : Thread here - http://www.tasharen.com/forum/index.php?topic=7307.0

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  18. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I agree. The incompatibility of NGUI free with the new NGUI has increasingly being a pain.

Thing is, NGUI was added in the first place due to many user request. It has almost become a standard for Unity these day. The code and documentation of TDTK supports building a custom UI, NGUI or not. But a working NGUI solution out of the box is one of the selling point of the package to many users out there. And I dont want to get the package to be dependent on NGUI full where people have to fork out $100 for NGUI before they can use TDTK. So the best alternative I have is to leave NGUI free in the package.

I read on thier forum that Tasharen has stop supporting old NGUI free and actively encouranging other publisher to stop using it based on the assumption that everyone has a copy of NGUI full these days. From what I understand they are not going to make one that is NGUI3.0 compatible either. All is rather unfortunate. Being a small asset publisher working on niche product like this I cant afford make a broad assumption that all my potential customer are seasoned Unity user who owns a copy of NGUI full. I'm considering to add support to the NGUI3 by with an optional package to any user who might need it. I'll probably get to it when I have time. But for the time being I'm afraid it's going to stay as it's, with NGUI free.

19. Thavron

Thavron

20. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for the input Thavron. I'll be sure to check it out and see if it's possible.

Sure makes me ask the question when the hell is the new Unity GUI going to be ready? :)

21. gerpausnet

gerpausnet

Is it possible to use 2d asset?

22. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

The toolkit seperate the visual setting and the mechanic implementation quite well. You can use whatever type asset (3D mesh or 2D sprite) and it would still work. So in theory you should be able to use 2D asset, if you set the camera angle right. However to get the best result you will need an additional sprite system that handle the animation and some modification with regards to the sprite orientation to the camera.

23. sumy0ng

sumy0ng

I have the exact same problem as well, so how did u solve the build tooltip issue at the end? Is there anyway to have it always shows the tooltips side by side with the build icons?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  24. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

There are many way to do adjust the font size depending on the implementation. If you are using NGUI, you can simply adjust the scale of the UILabel transfrom (assuming you are using NGUI2.7 or earlier). If you are using the default OnGUI(), then it's a bit more tricky. You can use a different GUI skin with a larger font, or you can adjust the size in the UI.cs script. Both this require the device to support dynamic font. The thing is I'm not sure if Unity on mobile device support dynamic font. The last time I checked with Unity3.5 it doesnt. The other alternative is to import your custom font. However I'm not familiar with this at all.

As for the tooptip, I'm afraid it's not supported on mobile due to the nature of the input. You can only do it if you use a double click mechanism where the first tap on screen brings up the tooltip and the second tap confirm the pressing of the button. Which is rather unintuitive in my opinion. So I've overlooked it

As far as I know, the tooltip will always show up in accordance to the mouse cursor (with UI.cs) or relative to the build button (with NGUI). On NGUI, the placement of the first build button and the tooltip is the relative placement of the tooltip with respect to the build button selected in runtime. You can adjust the tooltip position in edit more and see how it goes in runtime to get an idea.

25. acamerontx

acamerontx

I am working with TDTK on IOS and I am having a freezing problem when the fourth different type of creep spawns. The screen hesitates then continues. I have looked into overall performance issues, but I can recreate the freeze everytime I spawn the 4 creeps in that order. I know that isn't a lot, but is there anything you can think of that may be causing this issue? Also, do you have any advice for optimizing the framework to run on ios?

26. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Does it happen only when the creeps of that particular type are spawned in that particular order? Or you can replicate the freeze with any kind of creep? Even with the default creep when running the example scene? If it's very specific, it's most probably due to some setting on the creep prefab. Have you done any modification or addition of your own at all? I've just run a test on my own device with the example scene. Seem pretty smooth to me even when I have spawned multiple types of unit. And this freeze, does it occur for just once when the new type of creep is spawned or does it persist and causing an dramatic overall frame-rate drop?

The thing is, it's not always straight-forward to optimzation. It depends very much on implementation. The default asset and code in the framework are pertty optimized as far as I can tell. Well, optimized enough without going into some very platform specific stuff. I guess in most case the most default things you are going to use is the scripts. So unless you are adding code of your own I would say you should be fine in term of code optimization. So that leaves you with the art asset. I'm not the best person when comes to art-asset optimization. The advice I can offer is to try keep the draw call low, batch as much as possible, try not to use dynamic lighting (for mobile), and finally check your model poly-count

27. justforthesis

justforthesis

Hi song. I'm back again hehe. Is there any way that the money on the previous scene can be accumulated to the next scene?. Advanced thank you.

28. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'm afraid that is not supported at the moment. However a next update is going to be ready very soon. I'll add that. Hope you can wait for a week or so.

You can try do that yourself if you want. All the code is in ResourceManager.cs. You simply need to make a static resource variable instead of a non-static one like how it's currently.

29. justforthesis

justforthesis

can you help me how exactly would you do it? sorry song because I have little experience coding.

30. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

It's kind of tricky to explain without putting up too much code. Can you please send me an email and I'll show you how.

31. im

im

happy new year!

thanks for the new release!

32. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Happy new year to you too! In fact, Happy new year to ya all!

And yes a new update (v2.2.5) has just gone live on AssetStore. The update contains a brand new GUI based on NGUI3. If you plan to stick to the old one, dont worry, it's there too. Apart from the new GUI, there's some slight optimization and bug fixes. But it's not that significant compare to the new UI. Here's how the new GUI looks like:

@justforthesis, you can now download the latest version instead of modifying the existing one. The new version allows you to carry the resource from 1 level to the next.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  33. justforthesis

justforthesis

how can I reach you through e-mail Mr. Song?

34. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

You can find my email in the documentation

35. spyketherobot

spyketherobot

Hi songtan,
    We've uncommented all the loc related to the multiple upgrade path system and I've managed to get the Tower Editor to show the UpgradePath buttons but they seems not working in anyway (as the checkbox over the levels configuration mask).

The problem that stopped you implementing this function is just related to the missing button or also to the towerEditor side on the input for the different upgrade Paths? I can't understand if the TowerEditor is working in any way. I've tried to add new Levels while the second upgrade path is selected but playing the game all the levels are sequential and it seems not checking which upgrade path they belong to.

Any opportunities to see an example with the two upgrade path working?

thanks for help
    regards
    spk

36. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

The multi upgrade path IS NOT a complete and working feature. It's partially done and you can reveal it in TowerEditor should you wish and that's about it. There still some code missing in UnitTower itself, the function to switch to an alternate upgrade path. So even if you set everything up in TowerEditor. The tower will always stick to the first default upgrade path.

The reason I didnt complete this is simple, you need a UI that support the feature in order for it to work. To elaborate, the point of muti-upgrade-path for towers is that you can build two similar tower (same prefab) and upgrade the towers to be behave differently (tower1 using upgrade-path1, tower2 using upgrade-path2), while in run time. But to do this you will need to be able to select which upgrade path a tower should take when upgrading. This of course require additional GUI.

To add the code in UnitTower is not difficult. You merely need a variable that state which upgrade-path the tower instance is using. But the tricky bit comes in GUI. The way I see it, even at minimal, you will need two upgrade buttons and the tooltips to explain what each buttons are for for the player to comprehend this in runtime. This could make things very complicated indeed, consider the existing GUI layout is already quite cluttered. There is still the issue of what to displayed at the tooltip to be considered...

Hope this clarify things.

37. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

@SongTan,
    Great work on this asset. I've been having fun with the package.

A request: Like many people, I've been in the process of switching from NGUI to DaikonForge. Would you consider offering Daikon Forge support in a future update. This will make TowerDefenseToolKit that much more awesome.

Cheers.

38. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Glad you like the package. :)

I might do that but not in the near future I'm afraid. Given that the latest update has just been released not long ago, I'm currently giving TDTK a rest and trying to focus my effort on other project. I'll certainly look into the possibility tho, starting by spending some time checking out how DaikonForge works.

39. senc

senc

Hi SongTan.
    I'd like to report a bug in version 2.2.5f1 (Jan 11, 2014).

Description:
    The current Resource Editor does not work.
    When adding a resource, there is an error on the ResourceEditorWindow.cs, line 110.
    // xmlDoc.Save(Application.dataPath + "/TDTK/PrefabList/Resources/Resource.txt");
    The error is basically that since the TDTK/Prefablist folder does not exist, it cannot write to such file.

I hope we see this fix soon, and thanks for your awesome work.
    Regards.

40. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for letting me know. Sorry for the silly mistake. You can fix that by changing the line to following:

Code (csharp):
    1. xmlDoc.Save(Application.dataPath  + "/TDTK/TDTK (Base)/Resources/PrefabList/Resource.txt");
    Assuming you still keep the resouce file in the defalt directory.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  41. senc

senc

I'm a little bit confused on how the DamageArmor works.
    I've added a number of damages and and armor types to the table. That's great so far.
    However I have not found a way to determine for a particular Creep the type or Armor that it haves Can only define its HP and shield)
    Also, I have not found a way in the Tower Editor to define the type of Damage that a tower does. (Can only define the amount of damage it does, but not the type).

Thanks in advance.

42. senc

senc

thanks!
    You also probably need to change line 51 of the DamageArmorTableEditor.cs to:

Code (csharp):
    1. GameObject prefab=PrefabUtility.CreatePrefab("Assets/TDTK/TDTK (Base)/Resources/PrefabList/DamageArmorList.prefab", obj, ReplacePrefabOptions.ConnectToPrefab);

43. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Yea indeed, it's a bug. I forgot to update the resource path in the code when I rearrange the directories. I'm afraid it's not just DamageArmorTableEditor.cs either. There's a bunch of them. If you can send me an email I'll send you a package that would fix these.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

44. senc

senc

Sounds great. I will do so. Thanks again for your super-quick response.

45. senc

senc

Thanks for the patch, it appears that most (probably all) of the errors regarding the directory location have been fixed.

On the other hand, I was unable to find information regarding how the DamageArmorTable works.
    Could you please provide me with a link to any kind of resource (video, documentation, or anything similar) that describes how to use it; i.e., assign different types of armor to creeps or damage to towers?

Thanks again.

46. Szed

Szed

Hi :)
    I am new to Unity (and french...) and looking for create a TD game.
    Just one question.
    Why choose your toolkit rather than the 3D Tower Defense Starter kit ? :)
    Both seems very fine !

Thank you ;)

47. Tsurugi

Tsurugi

hi songtan, i recently updated your tdtk and i also imported NGUI 3.0.8 andi also extracte the package that said NGUI_full but i got this error and i cant play the game now

Assets/TDTK/TDTK (NGUI_Full)/Scripts/C#/UINGUI/UINGUI.cs(414,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `NGUIButton'

48. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@senc, If you open DamageArmorTable (the editor), you will find it's pretty self-explanined. Each damage type deals different amount of damage to different type of armour. The value you are editing are the modifier which determine how much damage will be done. After setting the table up with all the damage and armour type. You then go to CreepEditor and TowerEditor to assign each one with a specific damage and armour type. The modifier will autoamtically be taken into acount when calculating the damage.

@Szed, I'm not sure if I'm the right person to ask. Surely I think mine is better right? :)

Tbh I'm not familiar with the other package. It depends on what you need really. In term of major feature, mine can build maze level and has a perk system where you can build some sort of tech-tree. 3D Tower Defense Starter Kit on the other hand support direct first person tower control. Other than that, both package seem to be able to do what the other does. So the other big question is how they compare in term of user experience and accesibility. Since I've never use 3D Tower Defense Starter kit, I'm afraid I cant tell.

@Tsurugi, Sound like you have a duplicate class. Do you have any other package in the project already before you import TDTK? If you are importing to an existing project containing TDTK already, try delete all the scripts files related to UI. They are placed in the folder "TDTK/Scripts/C#/UI".

49. Szed

Szed

@songtan thanks for the reply, and your reactivity :) I will take a look.

50. senc

senc

@Songtan.
    Thank you so much, I found the armor type and damage type in both the creep and tower editor. It is all completely clear now.
    Thanks a lot for your quick responses.