Search Unity

Tower Defense Template Project Feedback

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by willgoldstone, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Luke-Lamothe

Luke-Lamothe

The Template itself was not designed with 2D in mind, but if you know what you're doing, you should be able to convert it to 2D either by using an Orthographic view and sprites. Keep in mind that the systems are currently dependant on 3D Physics, so if you want to have 2D Physics, you will need to dig in and change all of that yourself.

2. shubhamshetkar25

shubhamshetkar25

this game is very simple and not even a multiplayer BUT
    it builds huge APK size.
    How to make apk size less than 30mb?

3. shubhamshetkar25

shubhamshetkar25

how can build realtime multiplayer as well as turn-based multiplayer game with this template?

4. Phaedridge

Phaedridge

Hi, I found the problem with the towers being white after you apply the correct materials to them.
    You need to modify the Mesh Renderer/Cast Shadows properties of the Base, Base Shadow and Turret, Turret Shadow models that you drag from the Models/Towers Folders - then the true colours are rendered correctly.

Phaedridge.

5. Triad946

Triad946

If you're going to make a complete version of the game, at least put it in a complete_game folder, like you did for the standard tutorials.

Like: I could literally just do a build of the main menu and call it my own, but I won't do that.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  6. jamesbaber1

jamesbaber1

So maybe Im missing something, but shouldnt I just be able to hit play on the main menu scene and I be able to play. Through the game? When I play the game and go to the level select there are no levels and alot of the scenes show missing prefabs. Anybody else getting this? Im using Unity 2018.2.2f

7. unity_94d33m

unity_94d33m

Why is the instructions complicated? Like it says Add a mesh to visualise the Agent as a child object of the Agent GameObject, add what mesh?

8. goehler

goehler

Any mesh. You decide. It's your game :) When testing, just create a capsule mesh, and name the object "mesh". Then you can change it later, when you have created/found/bought the proper model.

The instructions are not a step-by-step guide to making a complete tower defense game. They are a general guide to how the system works. When you have completed the tutorial, you have the basic knowledge of how the different scripts work together with each other. Then you can use the scripts to build your own tower defense game, and expand on the scripts as you see fit.

9. Victor_S

Victor_S

HI everyone, what if I want enemies to damage towers, can I achieve this?
    Thanks

10. PeterCym

PeterCym

"In the Project window, click on the Create menu at the top right and choose Create > Tower Defense > Tower Configuration"

In Unity 2019.1.1f1 (64-bit), this option isn't present in the Project Create menu.... What do I do?

Roulik likes this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am so confused. This does not seem to be a tutorial. Let's create a Tower From Scratch, implies we will walk thru creating the tower from scratch, together. Step by step, all the steps. I don't play tower defense games. I don't know what goes into a tower defense game, let alone have any idea of how I want MY tower defense game to be. Yes I understand that these are generic steps, and you can enter your own values and build your own presets and make your game using the template. I am taking this tutorial because it is part of the intermediate scripting path on Unity Learn. I did not pick this tut because I am making my own tower defense game. I am trying to learn Unity.

What I thought I would be doing was creating the tutorial's version of a playable level using the template. I could then use that knowledge to design and create my own level(s) or game. I thought this tutorial was: Let's make a tower defense game together. What seems to be actually going on with this 'tutorial' is: Here is some info that, if you spend a lot of time diving into the documentation and know what you want, you can make whatever you want.

Make whatever you want goes at the end of a tutorial, not the beginning. It is a shame because the template really looks cool. I know a lot of work went into it. Sigh...

Gulgazar and WilyC like this.
  12. walkinghat

walkinghat

13. walkinghat

walkinghat

"Try to be somewhat more clear"? Really? I've been working in Unity for a few years now. The thing the Unity organization is really really bad at is explaining things. (e.x. your manual) Explaining is a real art, and you should hire someone who is an expert at explaining things to develop and write your curriculum. That is usually someone who would characterize themselves as a Teacher or Explainer first, before they describe themselves as a programmer or developer. You have developers or programmers writing your course curriculum. The end product looks really poor - like it's the first time they have developed a course or tried to explain something. I would think Unity would not publish such a poor course. Can't you afford to hire some Teachers to be in charge of your course curriculums? It's like you published a prototype, full of errors, and plan for the students to find the errors for you. All the errors in the course material are obstacles to learning. I always end up "working around" your poor explanations. Second, you need to do the equivalent of "play testing" your course. Who took it before you published it? How many times? Did you fix the errors? I'm struggling through, finding the same mistakes others have above. Why is that? Why are errors not like a "bug" you rush to fix? And yet here I am, encountering the same roadblocks because it's not important to you to improve upon the lessons. Your courses should be iterated, like a game, made better THEN published. Then reviewed and re-iterated every year.

14. stevew272

stevew272

I do not know if it is just fact that the tutorial is older but here is the list of issues I had while going through the tutorial which ended up causing the finished product not to work correctly.

- The ASSETS were not in the place that the tutorial said they would be
    - The instructions were not clear enough which means that the user who created the tutorial has a preset configuration they are used to and they do not provide steps to make certain windows appear... build the peanut butter sandwich by explaining it to someone who does not know where to find the items.
    - The names of the fields were not always exact and involved a form of guessing

This tutorial needs a overhaul to be a valid source of help.

WilyC likes this.
  15. WilyC

WilyC

...but did you though? Doing this tutorial in late 2019 and I literally copy and pasted that line from the tutorial into google and ended up here. Seems like the documentation has not been adjusted at all in regards to this issue.

roman147 likes this.
  16. Roulik

Roulik

With unity 2018.4.18f1, and 2019.1.14f1 i have a lot error and warnings when import asset package and in the first step
    Project window, click on the Create menu at the top right and choose Create > Tower Defense > Tower Configuration.
    doesn't appear that option someone could said how get that option, thanks.
    I think unity learn team don't spend time and resources improving his tutorials.

17. ScriptsEngineer

ScriptsEngineer

A warning that in the "Core.Utilities" library there is no need to use IntVector2 because Unity now has an improved version of it called Vector2Int.

18. pclavier

pclavier

I have the same issue on the very first step of the instructions there is no Create > Tower Defense > Tower Configuration. It would be great to grab the person that made this documentation and set them up on a nice clean version of Unity and record them trying to get pass step one so they can show us and then fix the documentation. The project looks like it could be great to learn from but in this pre beta state it is something that should probably just be removed from the site.

19. thepiratebob

thepiratebob

I don't think they have any intentions of fixing it. This goes back to 2017, 3 years and its the same. It's like I was handed a box of instructions with the box being dropped several times before I got it.

20. chaoticlamp

chaoticlamp

Is there a video of someone going through the Tutorial?

21. mneilly

mneilly

FYI - The Tower Defense menu can be found under the create menu that is part of the project tab. At least they both work for me on Linux.

In 2017 (click create):

upload_2021-1-7_18-47-30.png

In 2020 (click the +):

upload_2021-1-7_18-47-45.png

Attached Files:

22. superslug777

superslug777

I have an error. A pretty harsh error. I run Unity 2018.3.0f2. (idk what the 0f2 is) but when I downloaded your template, waited forever for it to install and decompress, it was all like "A Polygon of Level01_Enviro_Part01 Is Self-Intersecting And Has Been Discarded." it said this for Level02_Enviro_Part01 as well. When I search all, I can't get Level01_Enviro_Part01 but I can get Level02_Enviro_Part01. Also, all you models, well... almost all, as far as I've gone, are "Made for an older version of Unity." I clicked the "Fix Now" button and applied changes for every single one of your models. but still, in the editor screen, the game scene looks like a new project. I restarted Unity, and the error messages were gone. I was like, "Ok, now I can finally play this game!" and when I started it, nothing happened. it looked like a new project with nothing in it. blue sky and brownish grey ground. I found your logo thing for the UI, but it never showed up. Nothing ever shows up, actually. I don't know how I can fix this, because Unity doesn't give me any error messages about it, so I can't tell what's the problem. So I figured that instead of wasting my time, I should just ask the dev, because after all, it's his game, so he should know more about it than anyone. a piece of extra info if you need it: Every time I stop the game to go back to the editor, it says unity has to restart because of some sort of running script change, or something like that (I can't remember, because I'm re-importing all your scripts at the moment.) Then I have to click cancel, because I did it already and it still tells me. So I saved the project, and restarted unity again. I opened this copy project. The error messages about the Level01_Enviro_Part01 and Level02_Enviro_Part01 stopped showing up. The unity running script change (or something totally different, I can't remember) stopped showing up every time I stop the game. But still, when I click play, nothing happens.

Oh wait, I just re-imported the assets. Guess what: It's giving me the error messages again.

and now it says this like 50 times:
    "Rebuilding GUID cache: Deleting metadata Packages/com.unity.modules.unityanalytics because the asset doesn't exist anymore.
    MetaData path library/metadata/d6/d6c6a000a805f00649b36b542e8426c2"

I really need help.
    Screenshot (98).png

23. T_Slothrop

T_Slothrop

I've had very good luck with the template project, and have learned quite a bit from studying the systems. The first real issue I have hit is creating a new tower prefab, which can be pre-positioned in the level, as opposed to placed by the player during run-time.

As I prototyped this, I was able to place a tower that will behave partially correct: the turret tracked enemy agents, and the enemy agents are able to fire at and damage the new tower. The main problem is my tower is not firing FX or causing damage to any agents. There is very little different from the project prefab tower, other than the 3 levels have been removed. A new prefab with a complete tower hierarchy including level1 was created. Is there a good way to debug issues with targeting and damaging enemies?

24. T_Slothrop

T_Slothrop

Update:
    So I did a complete HoverTank with all the alignment, projectile, layers set so it would be on the Player (towers) faction. Tried dropping this prefab in while game running, and (not surprised) it acted just like my failed tower, turning its turret to face enemy agents and taking damage from them, but not spawning any firing FX or causing damage. So next step I added this prefab to the first wave as an agent. It works perfectly now! dealing damage to agents it fires at while following the waypoints path. I'm guessing it needed to be "initialized" by some step in the spawning.

25. Tony_Bera

Tony_Bera

hey i am new to using this template and also i have noticed the tutorial is missing , i am trying to make a enemy when the enemy is destroyed another enemy spawns at his place and keeps continue the path following, i was able to duplicate a agent and make a new enemy out of it but when its destroyed and another enemy prefab is spawned it does not follow the same path instead it goes to a corner

26. Noobenko

Noobenko

I'm noob! Can any one fix the script can't be added for the reasons of "ILauncher" being an abstract class for me?
    The thing is that when I go through a tutorial in the documentation on the 13th page of the we're all needed to add an "Attacking Agent" (a script) to an new agent object, but when i try it I get the enoying error, some in the beggining of this thread said you can fix it by adding any launcher component to that object, but what if I maybe don't want to add a launcher, or do I???

P.S (error message: Can't add script behaviour 'ILauncher'. The script class can't be abstract!)