Search Unity

Resolved TouchScreenKeyboard why no events? Polling in Update is so terrible!

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by arkon, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arkon

arkon

I've just had the misfortune of trying to implement the TouchScreenKeyboard in VR, Why and who is making these design decisions at Unity? It's like you don't have a Software Architect. I can't believe I've just had to poll the keyboard in Update to see if it's done. Also it doesn't seem to send the text changes anywhere.

In short it needs text changed and done and on visible type events as a bare minimum.

For anyone else struggling with this here is my update code:

Code (CSharp):
    1.   void Update()
    2.     {
    3.         if (TouchScreenKeyboard.visible == false && overlayKeyboard != null)
    4.         {
    5.             if (overlayKeyboard.status == TouchScreenKeyboard.Status.Done)
    6.             {
    7.                 InputLabel.text = overlayKeyboard.text;
    8.                 //Text input done here
    9.                 overlayKeyboard = null;
    10.             }
    11.         }
    12.         else if (TouchScreenKeyboard.visible == true && overlayKeyboard != null)
    13.         {
    14.             InputLabel.text = overlayKeyboard.text;
    15.         }
    17.     }

2. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

TouchScreenKeyboard is an interface only supported on native iOS, Android, and UWP (mentioned in our documentation). It is not supported on VR platforms. Feel free to submit a feature request in the public roadmap of our XR Interaction Toolkit, and we will take it under consideration. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.