Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Touchpad movement in latest SteamVR?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by JW86, Jan 15, 2019.

1. JW86

JW86

Hi all,

I'm a newbie, running with the latest SteamVR beta released earlier this month (Jan '19), and in Unity 2018.3.

While the teleporter system is great, I'm really wanting to integrate touchpad based movement. I have next-to-no scripting skill myself although can competently enough follow along to Youtube c# guides if I pay attention. Are there any pre-existing scripts or assets (compatible with these latest version of SteamVR and Unity) which grant touchpad locomotion? Or a guide on how to create this?

If not, what advice would you have? Perhaps rollback to an earlier version of SteamVR and grab VRKT?

Thanks in advance.

J

2. Hunubul

Hunubul

You can use the built in input system. You need to add new inputs within project settings, I believe the axis is what you are after. I could only get one of the controllers to work this way because I'm a newbie as well, but then I could script it pretty well.

I believe the new Steam VR integration system is capable of doing what you want, but for me all that plugin did was make me unable to use the VR googles. So I will not use steam VR integration if possible, ever again. I hope I can do the same thing with Oculus plugin or the built in XR scripts.