Search Unity

Touch Controls Info?

Discussion in 'BlackBerry' started by MrEsquire, May 22, 2014.

1. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Hi all,

I been trying to port my game to Blackberry 10, all seems OK apart from the touch controls.
    Is there any links someone can send or Unity3d help file location to read about this.
    I plan to help the author of the touch package I'm using(Control Freak) to add Blackberry 10 support.

Any tips and thoughts most helpful...

Thanks

2. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Just curious... what specifically is the problem with the touch controls? NGUI had an issue early on because the BB phones run at a higher resolution than most of the phones out there making touch controls... picky as far as accuracy was concerned. Could that be the problem?

3. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Interesting, was there a setting that needed to be change or was fixed automatically.
    I have number of settings that one can change but not have played around with them

The problem is simple, I can see the controls GUI but of course when you click nothing happens even for the joystick.

4. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

I would imagine that the fix has made it's way into NGUI by now (if that's what you're using for your GUI). The crux of the issue was that the touch would happen at coordinates x,y and the area of effect was on the smallish side.. maybe something like 10-15 pixels? So users had to be super accurate with their touches, which is pretty difficult considering one's finger covers probably about 100 pixels or so on the screen. Are you using a GUI library for unity or are you having this problem with Unity's built in GUI system?

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Hey, I see, interesting stuff.
    I'm currently using; https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11562
    Its a nice controls plugin, these are becoming more and more popular and this one was used for the game I'm making.

The amount of users developing for blackberry is small, so I assume there still lot of undiscovered issues.

Edit:

Results from a pure touch test;

Platform: "BB10Player"
    Device Model: "0x8700240a"
    Device Name: "0x8700240a"
    Device Type "Handheld"
    DPI "358"
    MultiTouch "True"
    Touch Count "0" (Changes to correct count when finger pressed)

I hope Unity 4.5 will bring some Blackberry fixes?

Edit 2: Seems the issue was with some specific settings that where erased when the project was changed from Android to BBM, Under Scripting Define Symbols.
    Maybe you should check this and make sure when switching project build it is not removed by default. Would have saved me hours!!

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  6. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Nice job hunting that one down! I look forward to the bug report.