Search Unity

Totally Evil Particles

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Photon-Blasting-Service, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

Working on my next asset pack. Theme is "evil" so lots of skulls, fire, bats, etc. It's about 25% done.

Comments/suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Gun Slinger

Gun Slinger

Hey I have a suggestion. Keep the stars and all of the devil junk in it out of the package. This is evil but I dont think that anyone would want that. The skulls are cool and everything else is great.

3. PixelWyrm

PixelWyrm

I agree with Gun Slinger. Just put the stuff you can imagine seeing in a typical horror game.

4. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

Interesting, I could replace it with something less symbolic.

5. Jaimi

Jaimi

Why keep the stars out? Anyway, I like it. People who don't like the stars, or don't think the devil is evil enough can just not use those effects.

6. kalamona

kalamona

Maybe I don't understand this conversation, I think pentagrams are cool and widespread. I am Christian and I don't feel offended by them, I use them a lot if i want an evil symbol (even though originally it is a defensive symbol as far as I know).

7. ASchumacher

ASchumacher

I'd like to put my 2 cents in: I'd leave the imagery in there. If someone doesn't like the symbols (or symbolism), they won't buy the pack or if they do, they won't use those images. It's not like you are attempting to sell this as the "satanist particle pack". I think that as long as the particle effects are good, which they are, by the way, then I think you're fine to leave them in. There is always a line you don't want to cross and you are not there.

8. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

AShumacher, Kalamona, and Jaimi:

Yeah, I don't intend this as a "satanist particle pack" and I believe pentagrams are a fairly widespread symbol in the West. That will be the only symbol in the pack I have planned (so far).

I appreciate hearing both points of view.

The rest of the pack will be more ominous and moody and less heavy metal ;)

9. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looks spooky! :)

10. Gun Slinger

Gun Slinger

Ya I guess I might be wrong. You should leave them in.

11. Gun Slinger

Gun Slinger

Also I have one more question. Where did you learn how to make such a fire affect with the star? That seems like it would be very hard to do. And also the skull, awesome! I was amazed at it.

12. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

Thanks Gun Slinger.

Just make a rough mesh in the shape of a star and use the mesh as the shape to emit from. Super easy in Shuriken!

The skull is just a sprite that I rendered from an animated model in Blender. Some post processing in Photoshop. You could also use a mesh of a skull and use the skull as a shape to emit particles from.

13. robocognito

robocognito

These are awesome! I've been playing with shuriken, but I'm not getting those kinds of results yet. Any chance you'll show a teaser of the particle editor for one of your more complex effects?

When do you estimate the release, and how much will the final pack run?

14. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

Thanks robocognito!

I don't record tutorials unfortunately due to limited time. I can offer advice on the forum.

Should be done in about a week, at least 16 effects in the package, probably $15 or $20.

15. joshimoo

joshimoo

I like your particle effects.
    I don't really have an immediate need for them, but wanted to ask:
    Are they going to be mobile friendly ? (mobile tested or separate mobile versions included)

Thanks for the hard work.

16. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

Thank you joshimoo.

Sorry, I can't test for mobile. I don't own an iPhone or Android.

17. robocognito

robocognito

RyanB - I'm sure iphone and android users would be happy to test these out for you if you wanted.

I'm curious: how are you doing texturing? Is it individual textures, an atlas with animated textures, a universal atlas for all the effects?

Also, kind of related, how many draw calls are each effect?

18. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

I would commission you to do work for our project, but they need to be optimized.

19. Majestic24

Majestic24

The quality is real nice and that's what counts

20. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

I have access to an iPhone now, so I will look into iPhone testing in the future. I'm going to look into what sort of benchmarking is appropriate for mobile and iOS.

I am currently working on a web player for my effects packages. I'll post some links when it is finished (just working on the effects switching).

Texturing is done with individual textures or texture sheet animations. The bats and worms are texture sheet animations.

Draw calls per effect: haven't looked, could get the info if enough requests.

Updated video of the package, now available in the asset store:

http://u3d.as/content/ryan-blanchard/totally-evil-particles/3bN

21. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

Thanks, but I don't do commissions these days, too busy with my full-time job.

Optimization is something that should be done specifically for each game. If I am working on a Kinect game using UDK, I'm going to optimize differently than an open-world racing game using an in-house engine or a platformer using Unity. It's engine, game, and platform specific.

Majestic24:

Thank you!

22. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

Here's my first attempt at a web player for my asset pack:

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE WEB PLAYER FOR TOTALLY EVIL PARTICLES!

I'd appreciate some feedback on the web player: how it performs, controls, etc.

I plan on updating the asset package based on making this web player. I found some weird rotation issues with a few of the particles that were easy to fix.

Thanks,
    Ryan

23. Adrenaline-Crew

Adrenaline-Crew

i enjoyed very much!