Search Unity

Total IAP Revenue

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Deleted User, May 16, 2018.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi! I saw this question asked by other users but I'm still a little confused. My total IAP is completely off from how much money I'm actually making everyday.

I wouldn't be concerned but once the 'total IAP' was over $54,000 while my actual verified IAP is $2.29.

I was wondering if someone could explain the Total IAP Revenue metric, why it is so far off from what I'm actually making each day, and how I can fix what I'm doing.

Thanks for your time!

2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@mxoconnell

Total IAP Revenue contains both Verified and Unverified Revenue. Revenue reported in the dashboard goes through a receipt verification process for iOS App Store and Google Play Store. We take the receipt from the transaction and verify it with Apple or Google servers. So Unverified Revenue is just that; transactions that failed to verify when checking with Apple or Google.

Here's a post with some more details:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/huge-revenue-reported.455662/#post-2992424

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

$54,000 seems like a large amount of fraud. Is this typical of an android app or should I be concerned? What is the best safeguard against future fraud?

4. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, that's a pretty typical amount.

The most secure way to limit fraud would be to to have a server that verifies all of the purchases before they are granted to the user. However, that is a bit more complicated to set up.

If you did not want to set up a server, you could use the Receipt Validation feature (for iOS App Store and Google Play) to check the receipts locally before granting the items to the user:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityIAPValidatingReceipts.html

The reason this is less secure is because all of the data is still on the player's device, so they can decompile the app and make any changes they want. But it is easy to implement and does provide some additional security.