Search Unity

Total Baker - Texture Baking System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by fra3point, Aug 21, 2018.

1. fra3point

fra3point

sjm-tech and hopeful like this.
  2. fra3point

fra3point

ElasticSea and hopeful like this.
  3. fra3point

fra3point

Hello,

some users reported that Toatal Baker's GUI has some issues with the new UnityEditor versions (reported for 2021.2.5f1). I'm working to fix those errors and release a patch soon.

F.

4. fra3point

fra3point

sjm-tech likes this.
  5. buc

buc

EDIT2: This issue was solved super fast within just some minutes! Crazy.
    A big Thank You for this fantastic tool and awesome support!

Francesco, I - love - this - tool!
    But I would need a little help for baking the normals:
    The baked normal map is just a flat image, with only the typical main color of a normal map, but without any details drawn. When I select Normals Space "Object" I get a very colorful image shown, where I can recognize the normal texture, but just drawn with rainbow colors, so something gets calculated.

I've tested a lot of combinations, smooth, flat, bake existing map on/off, etc.
    Only when I select Height Map, then I get some baked normal map, but it is very hard / flat. So the prefered setting would be Smooth shading.

Newest Total Baker Version, Unity version: 2020.3.13f1, Win,
    all the elements have enabled read/write and no errors shown in the console

In an earlier version I had some similar thing with another material slot, but I could overcome this by putting the texture into another slot and then baking this slot. But this would not work now for normal maps.

EDIT1: With all the same versions (total baker and unity), just tested on another model (taken the shoes and not the vest of the model), it works. Have no clue for the possible reason.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    fra3point likes this.
  6. fra3point

fra3point

Hello,

thanks for your interest in Total Baker.

Please, send me an email to 3pointsoft@gmail.com so that I can give you direct support.

Francesco

7. fra3point

fra3point

PATCH

Total Baker 2.0.3 has been released!

There's a new Total Baker version available in the Asset Store!

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/total-baker-118159

Release Notes:

• Fixed tangent space normal map generation for meshes with huge offsets from pivot.
    • Tangent normal map: fixed wrong linear color space PNG saving function.
    • Removed randomly displayed console errors.

Francesco

salex1 and hopeful like this.
  8. ratonmalo

ratonmalo

Is any plan to add Bent Normal map to the baker ? It become very standard in complement to AO map in HDRP.
    Thanks

fra3point likes this.
  9. fra3point

fra3point

Hello,

the bent normals feature has been in the to-do list since the beginning of the project, but I never succeded to implement such feature. It's still in the to-do list but I can't say when it will be done.

Francesco

hopeful likes this.
  10. stevewonder

stevewonder

Hello,
    The link for sample files is not working. Where can I download sample files from?

11. fra3point

fra3point

12. stevewonder

stevewonder

Thank you for the quick response. Yes it works now

fra3point likes this.
  13. fra3point

fra3point

UPDATE

Total Baker 2.1.0 has been released!

There's a new Total Baker version available in the Asset Store!

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/total-baker-118159

Release Notes:

• Added Bent Normal Map baking support

DISCLAIMER: Some words about Bent Normals... I consider this feature as a beta. I couldn't artistically test the generated bent normals in HDRP because I don't use them in my projects. Also, I've compared Total Baker maps with the ones generated by xNormal and Substance, and I've found that they are all different, so the comparison didn't produce any useful information about Total Baker maps' correctness. I've implemented this feature with a quite common algorithm, which is based on the Ambient Occlusion one. Feel free to try bent normals and tell me if you notice any unexpected rendering result.

Francesco

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    hopeful, TokyoWarfareProject and buc like this.
  14. fra3point

fra3point

Hello!

in the last days some users wrote me that they can't download Total Baker from the Package Manager, and I could experience the same issue by myself.

I've just sent an email to the Unity Support Team to get this solved as soon as possible.

Apparently, there's a problem with the published package.
    I can clearly see an "error" in my publisher page, but I don't know what the problem is and there's no additional information about it:

upload_2022-4-26_9-5-49.png

Meanwhile, if you're experiencing issues downloading Total Baker, please send me an email at 3pointsoft@gmail.com including your invoice number, so that I can send you the package privately.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Francesco

15. fra3point

fra3point

Little update on the package manager error...
    It seems to be fixed now!

Cheers,
    Francesco

16. fra3point

fra3point

Hello!

I'm currently working on some improvements to the URP workflow, some of your feedbacks have been incredibly useful!

Also, I'm bringing back the dynamic lights transferring feature (old video here) which was removed before the 2.0 cycle due to some incompatibility issues with the new core. I'm still having problems calculating attenuation factors for point and spot lights in URP (values are quite different from Standard RP!), but the overall system works again as expected and I plan to release it in the next version.

See you in a few weeks!

Francesco

hopeful likes this.
  17. victor-rubinstein

victor-rubinstein

Does this plugin not support HDRP at all, or just won't bake some of the maps used in HDRP shaders?
    i'm asking since this asset seems super useful to us, but we are using HDRP in our project , but only use the standard PBR maps (Diffuse , Normal, Metallic)

18. fra3point

fra3point

Hello,

Total Baker does not support baking while inside HDRP, but it can be used to produce maps that can be used in HDRP (even Bent Normals and Mask Map which are available by default only in HDRP).

For this kind of usage, I would just create a URP o Standard Unity project dedicated to bakes, generate textures with Total Baker in it and then copy the saved maps to the HDRP project.

P.S. Actually, in the code there are some references to HDRP because it's in the roadmap to add support to it and I've already started to do it, but HDRP's workflow is very different from the other two default pipelines, so it requires major reworks that will take a lot of time.

Francesco

19. scrup

scrup

image_2023-10-31_094433368.png Edit- Asset is still supported and does work in 2022.3.12.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  20. Felinde

Felinde

Hello, congratulations on this resource! I was wondering if it's possible to generate Curvature (convexity) maps on UV2 (which I already use for lightmaps) by baking an entire scene and not just a single object. I imagine that this resource of yours may not have been created for this purpose, but I'm asking if it's possible. Thank you!

21. fra3point

fra3point

Hello!

Unfortunately Total Baker can only bake on UV1, and only per object.

Francesco

22. Daniel_mab

Daniel_mab

Hi, does the curvature bake rely on vertices (so it needs a high polygon count) or on volume like in Substance? Thanks.

23. fra3point

fra3point

Hello!

The computation is done per vertex and then interpolated per pixel, so a higher polycount will produce better results.

Regards,
    Francesco