Search Unity

TOS clarifications

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Devil_Inside, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I'm not a native English speaker, so I'm hoping someone can explain this better to me.
    I am an individual, my Total Finances haven't surpassed the $100 000 Unity Personal Financial Threshold, yet I subscribed to Unity Plus to be able to customize the SplashScreen in my project. Let's call it my "Work" project.

I am now starting a new project, let's call it my "Hobby" project. I want to work on this project with a friend, who doesn't own a Unity Plus subscription, so, since I can't mix licenses, I was planning to use a Personal license for this Hobby project.

Now I went to read the TOS again, and here's what it states:
    From my understanding, the main idea of this paragraph, is that a Legal Entity (a company with multiple developers) cannot use different Unity tiers simultaneously. They need to update all subscriptions if this Legal Entitiy exceeded the Financial Threshold.

This however leaves to interpretation what happens to Individuals (one developer), who have a Unity Plus subscription, but they didn't exceed the Financial Threshold that would require them to use that Unity Plus subscription.

It seems that I can't use my Unity Plus and Unity Personal for different projects, even though I can't see why I shouldn't be able to.
    Can someone please clarify this to me!
    Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Also, this page:

3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'd contact Unity Support and ask about your specific circumstances.

This has come up repeatedly in forum threads, and more than once a staff member has said they'll get us a definitive answer on the various edge cases. Unfortunately, to my knowledge that has never actually happened (though one of them is covered in the license itself now). I guess the edge cases come up rarely enough that they handle them on a case-by-case basis rather than in the license itself.

That, or not many people ask because not many people actually read the license.

Devil_Inside likes this.