Search Unity

Torque 3D: All it's cracked up to be?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by bearses, Jun 1, 2009.

1. bearses

bearses

I was wondering if Garagegame's new Torque 3D is all it's cracked up to be in terms of networking strengths.

TGEA had it's weaknesses (even with the mmo kit), but T 3D boasts the ability to support latency sensitive networking at up to 1000 players per server.*

Is this true? How does it compare to Unity?

Any experience with this new engine?

Apparently they have a browser player too, now.

2. bloodtiger10

bloodtiger10

unity3d is much more expandable torque 3d has a lame excuse for a networking without having the user write many many lines of code using sockets and stuff like that. That was 1.0 (torque v unity) I have no idea about now. but I am sticking with unity no matter what because I like it.

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

T3D has the same networking as TGEA.
    A 1000 player scenario is still the same massive work as in TGEA, its not like tweaking 3 parameters and thats it. More towards driving what the RTS Kit does but to a much larger degree.

Unity has RakNet integrated, which is just as powerfull and expandable. Currently it suffers from the problem that we can't create dedicated servers for Unity which would allow any large scale multiplayer scenario.
    But this does not prevent you from using Neutron, Photon or SmartFoxServer Pro for the networking and server backend.

4. DrHotbunz

DrHotbunz

Well lets be fair.

Torque 3d is an excellent engine with fantastic network code. Torque 3d also has an impressive library of successful multi-player games.

A good example of the power of Torque 3d is Instant Action Technology.

That said I am a torque owner and I upgraded to Unity 3d and I can say from experience their is NO way I am going back to the old way of making games.

Unity3d is such a big time saver.