Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Topic about an Issue that's not clearly defined yet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SLASH24, Oct 23, 2019.

?

Did you experience serious technical issues from Unity3D Editor itself or project builds, recently ?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLASH24

SLASH24

Hello,

to start off, until then I always been happy with Unity3d, the experience was perfect, I never suffered about any bugs. only problem was on my side: the challenge to achieve alone my project from A to Z which require knowledge, good methods & practices etc...
    note: I'm using unity since 2011.

But today, there's an technical issue I'm having, I'm not sure what could be the cause,
    maybe my configuration?
    (I've sent a build of my project to someone, to see if he experience the same thing, I'm now waiting for its feedback...)
    Maybe my code?
    well I'm pretty sure not
    and finally maybe unity3d !

the issue is : the engine lags under some circumstances. it's quite hard for me to define these excatly.

firstly I experienced the issue with an asset from the store: GameCreator, where there was a lag when the user hit a key and the moment the character on screen starts to react. other users reported same kind of issues with the asset. (so I thought it was an issue bound to the asset)

so I decided to write a character control script from scratch, using the unity built in character controller, ( I've some technical knowledge and background now with these things... so it wasn't a big deal.)
    the issue appeared, but I couldn't identify the possible cause, then I kept on coding, and modifying my assets...

today I realize it's quite simple : when I check "Apply Rootmotion" on the animator of my character, the game lags, mainly the input, I hit a key and long after there's a reaction, many other issues caused by lags happens too. often charcater won't jump when hitting the corresponding key.

when I un-check "apply rootmotion" everything is fine. note: the animations I use comes from the store, I use them often since 2015, same for models... no problem noticed with them.

so does anyone else notice something problematic, of that kind ?
    I'm setting up a simple poll to let you vote too. I hope that it won't be useless

I really need help, for myself as I do need rootmotion and all features... and also I really don't understand what's going on.

I will upload a video of the thing soon.
    I hope you guys could help fixing this issue or give explanations.
    I hope that I said things clearly enough too..

thanks in advance.

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

In which Unity version do experience slowdown?

There are some significant improvements in 2020.1a, but that perhaps is too early for you to move there.
    Saying that, I use editor now mainly for DOTS purpose, so I won't be able to reference well editor's performance, in comparison to older Unity versions.

Also, I am either on beta, or alpha, so I expect some issues.

4. SLASH24

SLASH24

hi,
    yes I'm trying profiler right now, the first thing I found is that the issue is rather random, because, now: there's nothing wrong anymore, I feel a slight lag when hitting jump key, not sure. but it goes well in overall, even when checking the "apply rootmotion". first I checked it during runtime which I didn't tried before, it was okay just now, tried checking the prefab before runtime and it was alright too. the profiler screenshot attached shows it too.
    I also ran the previous build where the issue was huge, a minutes ago, there's effectively issues with animations that are delayed, but no longer huge lags... another time, animations were delayed, but also jump key wasn't acting well, character was not jumping everytime.
    as I'm writting, I re-opened the editor and there are lags again, but profiler don't say much. framerate seems steady and frame time low, 4 ms...

yes to sum up, it's quite random finally, effects are changing. and for the profiler I don't see anything particular. check out attached pics to see yourself.
    PS: editor version is visible in screenshots
    Capture01.PNG Capture02.PNG Capture03.PNG Capture05.PNG

5. kdgalla

kdgalla

By the way, if you think this is a Unity bug (an it sounds like it is) then you should probably submit a bug report with the simplest possible repro project.

Edit:
    Oh, that's annoying. Bugs are easier to fix when they're consistant. Now you can report the issue and it work perfectly fine when someone else tries it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Joe-Censored likes this.
  6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Lag is usually high hardware resource usage, and that resource is usually the CPU. The profiler almost always shows what is causing the lag, though how to fix or work around it often takes more investigation. But you'll need to know first what your build is so busy working on while it is lagging before you can determine what to do.

7. Martin_H

Martin_H

I never used the animation system, but I think you might be looking in the wrong place. I'd look at interaction of physics system and animation system, not the performance metrics that the profiler can measure. If animations are reported to be "delayed", I would assume time offset of over 200ms, which in terms of frametime would be such a jarring framedrop that I don't think a user would report it as "delayed animation".

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Locked - please post separate issues in the correct forums. The general discussion forum is very much not for this. You can't make a mega-thread with lots of different issues.

For slowdown you might first want to post in general scripting. For other issues, whatever closest matches that particular issue.

Also a poll is not helping with over a hundred different versions of unity for 14 years - it wouldn't give any meaningful insight.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.