Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TopDownShooter-ToolKit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Song_Tan, Dec 14, 2015.

1. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

As a very minor request I wondered if it would be possible to add to the Audio Manager a Player Idle slot and Player Movement slot for audio clips.

2. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello,

I just updated to v1.2(f3) and have noticed that the 'Player' movement sporadically stops working (using keyboard controls) and the same goes with 'Player' shooting (this happens with a weapon with unlimited ammo and one that has to reload) using the mouse buttons. I am using Unity 5.4.2(f2).

I just did a test and it appears this is something to do with Unity 5.4.2(f2) as everything works as expected in v5.4.2(f1). I tested with my own scenes and the default TDSTK setup.

3. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello,

Thought that I might throw this idea out there as well - a player vehicle that can be swapped out for another player vehicle (via buttons). It would be awesome for a transforming vehicle (buggy/drone/fighter-jet) or if the player had to move to a special vehicle changing station (like a garage). Please advise on if something like that would work with the TK so I don't waste time trying to achieve the impossible.

Now that I have a fair bit done with the Toolkit I can see how much fun I can have - just like you mentioned somewhere :).

4. pixelvspixel

pixelvspixel

Hi, I'm trying to map the toolkit out to work with Vive controls. (Which you can't use input manager for). I've got everything setup and working except for movement. Normally I've just connected an outside script and interfaced with the joystick,

float x = touchAxis.x;
    float y = touchAxis.y;

But movement seems to be set up a little differently, do you have any pointers as to where the best place to hook this up could be?

Thanks!

UPDATE

Well, I solved the problem for myself after hammering for quite some time. I think it was one of those things I was over thinking. For anyone wondering here was my solution.

In the update,

float Horizontal = touchAxis.x;
    float Vertical = touchAxis.y;

public void SetTouchAxis(Vector2 data)
    {
    touchAxis = data;
    }

Then I changed

Move(new Vector2(Input.GetAxisRaw("Horizontal"), Input.GetAxisRaw("Vertical"));

Move(new Vector2(Horizontal, Vertical);

I realized that I kept looking at Horizontal and thinking Input Manager and that they weren't anything more than simple float values, once that sunk in I just changed everything above and presto it works!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  5. xgeraldx

xgeraldx

I am trying to build the demo projects as a Universal 10 application but I am getting compile errors:

Assets\TDSTK\Scripts\UI\UIPerkTabListDisplay.cs(57,31): error CS1503: Argument1: cannot convert from 'method group' to 'Callback'

Any suggestions?

6. JessieK

JessieK

Is this project still supported? Only I see songtag responding to posts on his other kits but not this one, I know you were away for a bit but I was hoping to hear or know if there were any planned updates for this kit as a lot of people have left suggestions (Myself included)

7. croesus42

croesus42

Hi all.
    I want to change the side scroller demo scene to top down shooter (vertical game play) but I messed up with the scene :) How can I do that? Can you add an example scene for top down game play? Thanks.

8. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello, I just did a test with this so the following info might point you in the right direction...
    1. On Camera Control GameObject change RotateY to 90.
    2. On Player Unit's Unit Player Script open up the Show Default Editor drop-down and scroll down to the Abilities section and then enable Enabled Movement X and Enabled Movement Z.
    3. On Camera Control set your Min/Max Positional limits.
    4. In Unit Player Script (under Abilities again) set the Min/Max Positional limits.

Hope this helps!

9. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

I too would like to see some kind of developer response for this product as it is a really great toolkit. As another person mentioned it pretty much has everything you could want but some things could be improved upon and some things leave you scratching your head trying to work them out. So far I have managed to overcome the majority of obstacles but am fast getting to the point where I will have to edit classes or override them to get some of the basic functionality that should really already exist.

10. mccann

mccann

I posted this to the developer's blog too. https://song-gamedev.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_12.html

I'm getting this same Error. It was working before I upgraded Visual Studio and Unity 5.5. I have a simple fix for it.

Unity gives different error than the VS editor though:
    Assets/TDSTK/Scripts/UI/UIPerkTabList.cs(66,19): error CS0123: A method or delegate `TDSTK_UI.UIPerkTabList.OnHoverItem(UnityEngine.GameObject, int)' parameters do not match delegate `TDSTK_UI.Callback(UnityEngine.GameObject)' parameters

I got around it by providing overloaded methods for your "optional argument" method options.

example, added to over load OnExitItem() and the other methods that were failing:
    public void OnExitItem(GameObject butObj)
    {
    OnExitButton(butObj, -1);​
    }​

checking .net version:
    Debug.Log(System.Environment.Version);

Running in Unity 5.4 did not show this problem. It has the same .net running.
    I'm not sure why this isn't working as designed though. It is like .Net doesn't know how to interpret it.

11. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'm very, very sorry for being absent for so long (you can't see this but I'm bowing apologetically and continuously as I'm typing this). For some reason I've stopped receiving notification for any new post. I only realized that there are so many after randomly check in today.

I've try my best to answer all your inquiries. If I missed any, please let me know. By the way, I believe some of you has emailed or contacted me by other mean so I'll just skip your post.

You can assign more than 1 weapon to the player unit. However there can be only one active weapon at any given time (player will need to switch between them). To do that you need to first create the weapon in WeaponEditor, then you simply check the two (or more) weapon you want for the player unit in PlayerUnitEditor.

Noted, it will be done.

I'll try to add that in the next update.

That is a very cool idea indeed. It's definitely possible. I'll give it some thought and see if I can make it.

Issue with "Assets/TDSTK/Scripts/UI/UIPerkTabList.cs(66,19): error CS0123: A method or delegate"
    I'm well aware of this happening on newer version of Unity. It has been fixed and will be included in the next update. You can email me if you need the fix in advance. In fact, I've sent out a few.

@MudPuppet, Many thanks for trying to answer some of the questions for me in my absence. I really appreciate it.

@JessieK, no I haven't discontinue the support for this product. Nor I plan to. It's a flaw in the notification and partially my own carelessness that leads to this blunder. The same goes for all my other packages. I treat them all equally and I take support work very seriously and have always try to respond as soon as I can.

Once again, very very sorry for my absence. I hope it won't happen again. If it did, feel free send your angry email to me directly.

12. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hey Song,

Thanks for the reply. I figure that if you had heaps more sales on this asset there would be more people helping each other out on the forum. Don't take any of my suggestions too seriously as they are only ideas that pop into my head the further I go along with the TK. I ended up plugging in Control Freak 2 for joystick and buttons so the weapon change via buttons has now been sorted and I only need to work out the connecting of the Turret Aim to the second joystick (at the moment I only have it working off mouse position and need to learn a bit more about how you did it so that I can reproduce it somehow). I also sorted player audio, one script sorts the desktop version using an OnKeyDown function and the mobile equivalent does the same thing but accesses joystick movement. Currently just trying to get the score to the game over screen, which I conquered in another asset, so am just trying to work out how to access it from the GameControl class.

13. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Due to a question about getting the score to carry across from level to level was asked on Song's website and the fact that I just solved getting it to a Game Over scene I thought that I might share the code - but please be aware that I am definitely no coder so this is just what worked for me just now and I had to alter 1 line on the UIHUD class.

On your Game Over scene (or perhaps screen) create some placeholder text so that you can see what you are going to get for the look of the score and then drag this script onto it. Then drag the score text GameObject onto the slot provided for it in the Inspector.

Code (CSharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UnityEngine.UI;
    4. using System.Collections;
    6. using TDSTK;
    8. namespace TDSTK_UI{
    10. publicclassDisplayScore:MonoBehaviour{
    12. [Header("Score")]
    13. publicTextScoreDisplay;
    14. publicstaticintGameOverScore;
    16. //-----------------------------STORESCORE-------------------------------------------------------------//
    17. //Storethescorewhengameis over
    18. publicvirtualvoidStoreScore()
    19. {
    20. GameOverScore=GameControl.GetScore();
    21. }
    23. //------------------------------AWAKEFUNCTION---------------------------------------------------------//
    24. publicvirtualvoidAwake()
    25. {
    26. SetScoreText();
    27. }
    29. //-----------------------------SCORETEXTDISPLAY-----------------------------------------------------//
    30. ///<summary>
    31. /// Sets the Game Over Score Text to the GameControl score.
    32. ///</summary>
    33. publicvirtualvoidSetScoreText()
    34. {
    35. if(ScoreDisplay!=null)
    36. {
    37. ScoreDisplay.text=GameControl.GetScore().ToString("");
    38. }
    40. }
    41. }
    42. }

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  14. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Possible Bug(?)

I tested this with a vanilla install and the DemoGauntlet scene...

1. Start the game
    2. Change Weapon
    3. Die and Re-spawn
    4. Weapon only fires once and no more until you change weapon and then change weapon again.
    5. The result is the same with Mouse Scroll and via the Weapon Ability Tab

Not sure if this a bug or a setup issue at my end that just happens to be in the demo scene too - still scratching the surface with the TK here and trying to sort the groundwork before looking at other levels or how the game will flow.

15. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Too late now, I've already done some of them. :) Do let me know if you need help with any of the things you are trying to do. Btw, to get the score, instead of using UIHUD and make a bunch of modification, try use GameControl.GetScore();

Thanks for letting me know about the bug. I'll try to look into it and get it fixed if it's indeed an issue.

16. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Thanks for that. Just working on getting score and lives from scene to scene at the moment. I updated the score code above to use GameControl.GetScore() which is what I initially went for yesterday but couldn't get to work for me. Needed a second attempt I guess. I think that the only other part that I will get stuck on will be connecting the turret aim to my CF2 joystick but I will sort that out a bit later on.

At some point I will also try and send you an email with asset invoice number and some screenshots of the two projects I have been working on.

17. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Quick announcement! A new update, version1.3 is now up on AssetStore. I'll try to add as many thing as I can from past suggestion. Basically a collection of small additions, they include:
    • Added new ability (Dash/Blink/Teleport)
    • Added new trigger (Teleport and player prefab switch)
    • Added new collectible based objective
    • Added support for collectible that activate ability
    • Added new custom ability (directional shield)
    • Added new demo scene that show some some of the cooler addition.
    Hope you enjoy it. :)

18. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Awesome stuff!!! A bit stuck on getting lives to carry across from level to level. I can see GetPlayerLife() on the GameControl but my only experience with solving this problem on a platformer engine was accessing a Game Manager class that was a PersistentSingleton. Should I be just creating my own manager class as a singleton and storing and accessing lives/score from that? Sorry if that's more of a Unity question, I just haven't spotted anything that I am familiar with in your TK scripts and aren't sure if I should be accessing the lives count from the GameControl or the UnitPlayer.

19. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

You can either create a persistent singleton, or just a add a static variable (static variable value persists through loading). The choice it yours. Singleton is probably the way to go if you don't want to modify any existing code.

20. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello, I finally got the score and lives to carry across levels. I have yet to revise the score script but here is the lives one of anyone is interested. I haven't tested this on an iOS build yet so fingers crossed and it will work. I think that half my trouble when doing scripting is that I tend to overcomplicate stuff.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. using TDSTK;
    6. namespace TDSTK{
    8.     public class LivesManager : MonoBehaviour {
    10.         // Keep track of how many lives the player has
    11.         public static int CurrentLives;
    13.         //------------------------------ AWAKE FUNCTION --------------------------------------------------------- //
    14.         public virtual void Awake()
    15.         {
    16.             CurrentLives = GameControl.GetPlayerLife();
    17.         }
    19.         //------------------------------ START FUNCTION --------------------------------------------------------- //
    20.         public void Start()
    21.         {
    22.             GameControl.instance.playerLife = CurrentLives;
    23.         }
    26.     }
    27. }

21. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello, I have a bit of a problem with the Stun effect. Basically I have some drones that do the Stun effect on contact with the player. The problem that I am having is that if the drones are swarming the player and the player dies, the stun effect is still active and the player cannot move. I tried decreasing the amount of Stun effect time but if the drones are near the player respawn point there is a high chance that the player will die again without having moved anywhere because it is still stunned. Hope this makes sense.

22. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

You mean the player remain stunned after they respawn? I'll look into it and get that fixed.

I can also add feature that allow the player a brief moment of immunity when respawned to prevent them from getting stun-lock at a spawn point. I'll do that in the next update.

23. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Yep you are correct. Any fixes are much appreciated.

24. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Consider it done.

25. GPSchnyder

GPSchnyder

Hi there,

bought your Toolkit a few days ago. Really impressed. I have a Prototype running that I can work on. Till now I had a lot of your Assets/Units in it to get used to it and dig around a little. Now I wanted to make my own Units and are running into some Problems. I use the Toon Soldier Model Demo (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/69684) and added him to my Scene. I can move him around, shoot, but it doesn't run its animation, and I don't know how to change them.

The other Thing is the following. I want the Player to only be able to shoot into the Direction he runs. Right now it is set up to aim at the Cursor (which I also need to get rid of. Should be WASD plus Space for shooting only) I need the Player to shoot only into the direction the Player walks to.

Any Ideas/Hints where to look at? The Manual didn't help me that much :/

26. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for your purchase.

I've no problem getting the model you mentioned running with animation. You have probably missed some setting. A few steps that you need to do to get the animation running.
    • assign TDSUnitController (animator controller) to the animator.
    • add UnitAnimation (script) to the unit prefab.
    • assign the animator component to the UnitAnimation component.
    • assign the animation clip you want the unit to play.
    You can refer to the example in 'TDSTK/Animation/Examples/Player_AnimatedDummy'.

As for shooting only into the moving direction, it is not supported in the current version. An oversight on my end. I should be able to add that pretty easily.

If you can send me an email, I can send you a working prefab of the animated unit, as well as the updated version of the script supporting shooing in moving direction.

27. shamsfk

shamsfk

Hello! Thank you for the wonderful asset!

I found some "glitch" that is to be fixed, please help.

Here is the glitch - when player moves muzzle flashes deviate from the barrel visually (you can clearly see it in new scene with standard prefabs).
    It looks like a millimeter (in my case) distance from the end of a barrel (where shooting point is located) to a root of a flash.

It's not so distracting in the demo, but when I use some nice flashes it begins to show up really ugly.

I tried to move shooting point deeper in the barrel but it barely does any good due to a lot of strafing moves.

What is the quickest and what is the right way to fix it?

Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  28. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't notice this before.

The reason of the visual glitch being the shoot effect (muzzle) is not anchor to the shoot-point. So when the unit move in a high speed, the barrel position is instantly 'off sync' with the muzzle. A simple way to fix this would be to anchor the shoot effect to the shoot point, by making the shoot-point the parent transform of the shoot effect.

It should be a relatively easy fix. If you want, please send me an email so I can send you the fix.

29. shamsfk

shamsfk

Thank you for a quick response!

I have one more problem, more sophisticated one this time:

I'm trying to make a cool looking minigun that shoots a continuous mass of bullets.
    So I made a particle, and attached it to the beam type ShootObject, I believe you can guess already what went wrong.

I need it to be like this (on a video I clicked once and let a button go so it spawned just one SO):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81630687/Видео 12.01.17, 19 57 58.mov

If I actually hold the button it spawns multiple beams:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81630687/Видео 12.01.17, 19 58 09.mov

How should I tackle this problem TDSTK-way?
    Create a new type of ShootObject? like beamy-beam?

I need that ShootObject to be ON-OFF type with continuous beam, constantly respawned muzzle flashes and looped sound (really cool minigun sound can't be achieved with playing lots of individual shots you need to actually loop a record of it)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  30. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Well, My question is if you have a stream of bullets using particle, how's the hit detection work? Is it like a beam shoot-object using raycast?

If I'm guessing this correctly. You could very well use the default beam shoot-object type. Set the beam duration to something low and make sure your visual for each single shot match that. Not very efficient, but it's easy. Otherwise you will probably need your custom shoot-object type.

31. shamsfk

shamsfk

Looks like a custom type is the only option. Mainly because of a continuous sound and I believe muzzle flashes as those I'm going to use must be fired like only once in a span of a 3-5 "bullets" or it will be a complete mess visually.
    Anyway, great tool, quite easy to customise!

32. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Well. I understand. Good luck with that. Let me know if you need any pointer with the modification.

33. Ankaman

Ankaman

Hey has someone already tried to use photon or unet for multiplayer?

34. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I cant speak for everyone. But as the developer, no. I haven't try any of those.

35. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello, I was wondering if I could make a minor request. Would it be possible to make player lives and score persist across scenes as a standard part of the toolkit?

If you knew how many hours and days I have lost this year to trying to sort this out in two toolkit/engines you would seriously cry from laughter. It’s not like I haven’t tried to sort it out myself either. It is almost like every time that I think I have it sorted out with static variables, persistent singletons, and even PlayerPrefs, it ends up failing when I build to desktop or iOS. It was only last week that I realised that what I get as a result play-testing in Unity does not mean it will work when outputting desktop or mobile project builds.

When I spoke to another asset developer about it and queried him as to why a lot of asset developers don’t seem to include some really fundamental stuff like this, he himself realised how easy it is to overlook the obvious even with his own asset. I think that his comment about it was “it’s like going to the fridge and seeing the butter but not realising that other people have no idea what butter is.”

I am sure that my time would be much better spent actually progressing forwards with the Toolkit and maybe catching/reporting a bug or two; or even providing case examples on other oddities that I may discover as I progress.

I have also recently had the offer to get it sorted professionally at no cost but then I would have to supply the whole project including the TDSTK along with other assets that I have purchased to use with it. Not something that I really want to do as much as I appreciate the offer.

Anyway, if you could let me know either way that would be much appreciated.

36. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

A fair request I think. I'll try to make it happen by next update. That said, I'm not sure when is that going to happen. I'll try to do it within the next 2-3 months.

I have to say in this case the feature is not overlooked, rather a design choice. Persistent progress in game/framework made with a very specific design feature is a lot more straight-forward in a semi-open-end framework like TDSTK. You know exactly what are the persistent element and how they are used. Where's in this case, there's no telling how they are going to be used, or not. So that leads to the question that if they should be persistent or not. And having option for both is not always straight-forward, not to mention having both option to every element is a lot of work. Therefore I opted for the easier option of self-contained level when I first started.

37. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello, sounds good to me. I can use what I have working in Unity software for the time being. Yeah I understand your point. I experienced a similar situation years ago with some software that I dreamt up for doing demolition work and during beta it was used by someone to assist with lower jaw reconstructive surgery. You just never know how something may be used by an end user and can never really plan for it either. I have looked through most of your scripts along the way and your TK is by far the most advanced asset that I have here so I would never expect anything to be all that easy to implement or not directly affect something else.

38. GPSchnyder

GPSchnyder

Hi there, me again.

I used the Prefab Songtan send me, and it works, I think I even know what my problem was, so it helped. One thing I want to make my Player do thou doesn't work. I want to get rid of the crosshair that u use to aim with and have the Player only shoot to the direction he is walking to. But the Player doesn't rotate to the direction he moves to, he just aims up. And he only shoots up too, like in this vertical shooters with spaceships. What I need it to have the player face his weapon to the direction he walks to, and shoot there also. I tried setting it up like shown in the image, but it doesn't work. Any Ideas?

39. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@MudPuppet, Thanks for understanding. :)

@GPSchnyder, What you are trying to do is not support by default. You will need some modification. I believe I have sent the modified script and an example prefab that work the way you want (the player unit only face and shoot towards its own move direction). Based on your sceen shot, what you are using is not modified script that therefore will not work.

40. GPSchnyder

GPSchnyder

Well, I installed the unitypackage you send me and used the Prefab in it... thought that I need to change something in the settings now, but it looks like it doesn't use the right script now? Have installed the package once again, no change...

41. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Probably I've missed something in the previous package. I've resend another one. Please check your email.

42. GPSchnyder

GPSchnyder

Thanks. Will check later in the office

43. GPSchnyder

GPSchnyder

Tried it, works perfectly. Thanks a lot.

One thing I would like to see for this package for further projects is a Two Stick Analog Controller Control, where one stick controls the movement, and the other the direction you shoot to. And perfect would be if both Sticks also work on mobile as virtual touch sticks, but the one that is used for shooting starts firing once touched. Like one stick is wherever you touch on the left half of the screen, the other wherever you touch on the right half. Just add some slots for alternative fire and stuff like that which are triggered by buttons on the controller or Icons in the UI This way you could have one setup for mobile and desktop. And would only need to export to wherever you want.

44. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

For your information, there is support for virtual touch sticks for touch device by default. Check for the TDSTK/Scenes/Mobile. Those are the same demo scene in setup with touch input, ready to go for touch device.

There is however no support for actual controller yet for I don't have and don't use one myself. So I can't really test and and make sure it works correctly even if I've implement it. But I imagine bar from the actual reading of input from the controller, the rest of the code should be pretty similar to the code used for the virtual touch sticks. It shouldn't be too difficult to make it work if you know how to code.

45. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Just a quick a notice that I'll be going away for a few days and I'm not sure if I'll have internet access. So apologies in advance if I'm a bit slow in responding to your post.

46. Mike_011972

Mike_011972

Hello, Just started to play with your kit (3-4 hours so far) and really liking it.
    I'm thinking about making a modern updated version of Bosconian (an old Namco game) using your kit. I'm sure I can recreate the little space stations without any problems but I'm trying to think of a way to make a destructible capital ship using your kit.
    By this I mean I want to be able to work it so that if I destroy the engine parts of the capital ship, it will stop moving.
    I'm fairly sure I can set it up so that I can blow up sections of the ship and if I destroy the main core block, it destroys the entire ship (set it up like I plan to set up the space stations). Is it possible to set it up so that if I destroy the engine parts, it will stop moving?
    Let me explain my setup idea just to be clear...
    Have the main prefab as the main core block (if this is destroyed the whole thing dies).
    Have child prefabs off this for other parts of the ship / space station. These parts may / will have guns / turrets off them. This way, when the child prefab is destroyed, it won't take out the full ship / station, but I would like to set things up so that if I destroy an engine block, it will prevent movement of the object. Do you think that is possible?

My other question is how hard would it be to get the player / enemy models to tilt as they turn (same way as a plane banks as it turns)?

I would also like to see a mini map added and twin stick controls if that would be possible at a later date?

Anyway, really enjoying your kit and it's giving me so many ideas for games.

Thanks,
    Mike.

47. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for using TDSTK and I' glad you like it.

I hope you are ok with coding because what you need will definitely require additional code. Create an engine unit that would stop the ship if it's destroyed is fairly easy I think. You add a simple code to the engine unit that when destroyed, set the move speed of the parent ship/station to zero. Something like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. public Unit parentUnit;
    4. void OnDestroy(){
    5.     if(parentUnit!=null) parentUnit.moveSpeed=0;
    6. }
    Please note that the above code is not verified so it may contain syntax error.

To tile the unit when they are turning tho, that is a bit more tricky. And it depend on how sophisticated you want it to be. You will need to determine which direction the units are turning and adjust the rotation of the mesh object. Also you the tilt magnitude will probably need to consider the unit move speed.

Unfortunately I'm currently got my hands full on other project so I probably won't be doing any major change or addition to the framework for the foreseeable future. So I'm afraid what you are suggesting (mini-map and twin stick support) won't be happening soon.

48. Mike_011972

Mike_011972

Thanks Songtan for the quick reply.
    I'm no coder, but I can normally fumble through and get something work.

49. gamezuv

gamezuv

Hi, can I add a weapon upgrade system like ratchet and clank ?

Also it will be better to add spaces in your title on the asset store. It will be more commonly searched and you will get more page views which will probably lead to more sales. Currently its topdownshooter . I suggest making it Top Down Shooter

50. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I have to say I'm not familiar at all with ratchet and clank. So please keep in mind that I'm answering your question based on what I've read about the upgrade system on the internet.

The way I understand it, there are two upgrade systems for the weapon. One's a leveling system where the weapon stats is improved over time as the weapon accumulate experience and level up when the shots hit a target. While TDSTK has a leveling system like that, it works on the player as a whole, not on individual weapon. Obviously some modification can be done so that it works for the weapon but it wont be something available right out of the box.

The other upgrade system is the one player spend 'raritarium' to unlock various bonus to the weapon. This I think is very much doable with the default perk system of the framework. You can set a specific set of perks that work on a particular weapon and then configure their dependencies in a way such that unlocking a particular perk will make more perks become available. However the default UI is probably not the best solution if you want to build something similar to the one in ratchet and clank. You will be better of with some custom UI.

*Edit: A big thanks to your suggestion of the name change. I'll do just that. :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017