Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TopDownShooter-ToolKit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Song_Tan, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for your interest. You can definitely add additional script to support camera rotation. As you can see in the demo, camera orientation doesn't really affect the game play. The control will adjust itself to to work with the camera angle.

2. MathewHI

MathewHI

Nice, thank you very much.

3. mahdijj

mahdijj

hi
    for example i want define 3 hostage in my level, and user must release hostages for finish level.
    what is best way for this?
    thanks

4. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Sorry for the slow respond. I'm travelling these few days therefore don't have internet access all the time.

So how exactly does your player 'release' the hostage. By reaching a certain check point? By destroying a specific target? How best to do this will depend on how you intend the player to do it. You can either setup objective trigger or objective target for the player. Each can considered an action that release the hostage. It's up to you to convey the message that doing so release the hostage. Scripted cut scene for example.

5. mahdijj

mahdijj

can i define a collectible item that be instead of hostage.for example i collect 3 item from it and level be finished if i collect them?

6. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

There's no support of using collectibles as objective. What you can use is trigger. But yes it's pretty much the same principal. You create 3 objective trigger and assign it to the objective tracker. The level will be considered complete when the player activate all 3 objective triggers.

7. mahdijj

mahdijj

speed in mobile is low and game works hardly,how i can smooth speed of game in mobile?(android)

8. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Can you elaborate what do you mean by slow speed? low frame rate? What scene are you using?

I tested the example scene (shooting range) on my mobile (galaxy S4) and it works fine. The frame rate are maintaining averaging at close to 30fps. Please bear in mind some of the example (the arena for instance) are not meant for mobile. It simply have too many unit spawned in game.

I'm fairly sure that the base script runs fine on mobile. However that only determine the performance to some extent. Scene design, graphics, and other factor play a huge role on performance. If you are using your own custom scene/models/effects, please keep that in mind. it's up to you to make sure your own design is performance friendly for mobile.

9. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

Hey Songtan, if youre making granades, please make mines as well!
    placing them on ground and time/contact to explode would be awesome

Also, would be possible to use the "continuous fire" option per weapon, instead of scene?
    I would like use pistols to shoot manually, and rifles continuous

And one more thing, just now im facing an issue, the enemy AI its moving up, even after freezing the Y axis, it happens as well with the demo flying robot, is there any walk around to fix this?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  10. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'll give it some thoughts on the next update.

Make sense, I'll do that.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. AI unit move up and freezes? Can you please clarify?

11. JessieK

JessieK

Hey would it be possible to have a system where we can have multiple shooting types for the AI.

So the way I would see it is we could have shooting point 1 and 2 set to shoot a normal bullet and shooting point 3 set to a big laser attack or something, would just allow for some awesome creativity for boss battles.

12. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Well, what you can try is to bunch several different unit together with each of them doing different thing (fire different weapon). What I mean by bunch is to put all those units under one master unit (by making the master unit a parent). Make sure you disable movement and the collider component on those child units and that should be it. This way the player can't hit the child unit and if the master unit is destroyed, the child unit will be destroyed too.

This is of course untested yet. But it should work as far as I can tell. If you have any problem when trying this, please let me know.

13. JessieK

JessieK

Oh that's a really good idea actually! that would give me a ton of control over things like damage, that's the perfect fix for my issue thank you.

Edit: Just tested it, worked like a charm thank you

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  14. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Good to know!

15. JessieK

JessieK

Also as a random suggestion, would a "dash" ability be something to be considered for the next update?

16. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Not a bad idea actually. I'll do that.

17. JessieK

JessieK

Also sorry to spam this thread, but I am having a small issue with the kit.

I set an enemy move to stun the player when it hits them and deal damage, it hits the player, deals damage but doesn't stun them at all, it pops up on the UI that the player has been hit but does nothing to actually stun them. Any idea why this might be?

18. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I've just tried it. I'm afraid it's a bug. I'll upload a fixed as soon as I can. However it might take some time. Please send me an email if you want the fix in advance.

19. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

Sorry, it fixed by itself somehow?

Thanks for your support.

I also found another bug, when you're reloading a weapon out of ammo, and change it for another weapon, the second weapon will also reload, hope i was clear enought

Cheers!

20. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

You are right. I'll try to get it fixed asap. Please send me an email if you need the fix asap so I can send you an advance copy. Thanks for letting me know.

21. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

It anyone is not aware, I've just uploaded another update that fixed all the issue mentioned in recent post. :)

22. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

Working fantastic, great job!

23. ChaneDev

ChaneDev

24. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Yes, there are built in pooling system. Almost everything that need to be spawned in runtime uses that pooling system. I say almost because I can't remember if there are any exception. The pooling system itself is a standalone component (just a script) that can be used on other project. Hope this answer your question.

25. JessieK

JessieK

Hey if I could make a few suggestions for the kit that I've found personally might make some cool additions:

Some sort of dash ability allowing the player to zoom again quickly to avoid far

Direction guard - Right now all you can do is make the player undamageable, it'd be cool to be able to create like a forecefield in front of the player that is moved around with where the player is aiming to stop damage, attacks from the back for example would still hurt.

Mines and grenades - An idea for just an ability, the ability to lay a weapon on the ground that damages the AI if they cross it and a weapon you can throw that has a timer before it deals it's AOE damage to act like a grenades

26. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

These are all great ideas! I would love to see if I can get them into the toolkit. :)

Unfortunately I'm quite busy lately so I don't really have time to explore the possibility. I'll definitely note it down for the next eventual update. Thanks a bunch for the suggestion.

27. Bitmore

Bitmore

The UI is very slow on mobile(Samsung Galaxy Note3),event the MobileShootingRange scene. But works fine on PC. Any idea how to fix this?

28. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Well, what I found out after some testing is that the blur effect when you open the pause menu or perk menu does severely hamper the framerate. The simplest way around this would be just disable the blur effect. You can do this by adding yield break; at the end of line116 in CameraControl.cs.

29. BlurTimeTeam

BlurTimeTeam

Hi. I have problem. When i win in the level, menu show to me continue, restart, menu....But after lost the level and lose game, again show to me continue.
    Please help for fix it. I want menu after win show continue, after lose only show restart and menu. Thank you...

30. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

I try to use my xbox controller for movement.
    Input setup changes do not work.
    Where is the target for it?

31. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'm afraid the default input code is only tested for mouse and keyboard. You might have to do a bit or your own configuration to get controller to work properly. All the input detection code are in Update() of UIMainControl.cs. You will have to first set things up in Edit>ProjectSetting>Input to make sure the controller input can be detected, then map the corresponding input to the code. Hope this help and please let me know if you have any more specific question about this.

32. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

This helping, me. I want only to know where can i setup the controls. Thank you!

33. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

No problem. You are very welcome!

34. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Does this support multiple player characters? Say something like Mech Commander?

35. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'm afraid not, it's a top-down-shooter, not a rts. You just control a single unit directly. You can't issue order to other unit.

36. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello Song,

I just purchased this asset. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet but watched the overview video and have gone through all posts. First off I must say that you have done one heck of an awesome job with this and I can't wait until I get some spare time to have a play around with it.

I saw the posts about the ramps (or vertical type movement) and I also think this would be awesome especially if combined with some tricksy camera moves. However, I wondered if you have thought of multi-level scenes (all horizontal) with elevators to get between levels (like a hi-rise building). This might be easier to achieve and would add some dynamic gameplay. It could also open up possibilities for things like collapsing floor parts, pits of death, and trapdoors etc. Don't know if it's in the TK but another idea could be something that is like water and slows the player movement.

Anyway, keep up the great work.

37. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thank you for your purchase and thank you for your compliment. I hope you enjoy it. :)

Regarding your suggestion, I'm not too sure about adding vertical moment. Even it that is done, it will be the limiting kind. Like you wont be able to shoot something that is not in your level even if it's visible. However I like the multi-level idea and I think it can be done via a trigger that teleport player. Trigger that applies certain effect while player is in it (referring to the water) sounds like a good idea too. I will give it some thought when I get to work on the next update. Many thanks for your suggestion.

38. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

In case anyone is interested in some player (Tank) audio you can use the script from the Unity 2015 Tanks (Multiplayer) Tutorial with this asset really easily (just look at the audio setup tutorial first). I wasted a few hours trying to get code from other projects to work but this script made the job super easy.

39. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Just a couple of other suggestions (although I will probably try and work some of them out myself)...
    1. Mini Map
    2. Some way to detach the Turret itself and control that whilst the body stays in place - maybe some kind of spot in the game where you park the player, detach Turret object, and then use Turret object to get into tight areas that the body won't fit into (thin doorways perhaps).
    3. Some kind of Pickup where the item is like a follower object that can also shoot enemies (albeit with minimal damage to enemies and minimal health, perhaps a lifetime limit). Alternatively the thing could just circle around the player (think R-Type type of power-up).
    4. It would be nice to see something where you can pick up and carry items and then drop them off somewhere else to meet level requirements - like Desert/Jungle Strike where you pick up fuel canisters/weapons or have to save troops and drop them back to your base.

NOTE: Regarding Teleporters... standard ones would be good but my initial idea is like you drive along, park on a square region, and that lifts you up to a higher level (building type level) like an elevator platform - this would be more visually impressive to the end user. Alternatively have the whole level you are on move downwards (exact same result visually/game-wise but may be easier to implement) so that the new higher/lower level you go to still sits at 0,0,0 coords. I would not be interested in shooting enemies on a level below or above me because (depending on game design) I would not anticipate that the camera would be so far zoomed out.

40. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for the suggestion.

1. I'll look into the possibility
    2. That is highly specific and I suspect wont be useful to most user. What I would do instead (if I'm to do this) is change active player prefab instead. So player can swap prefabA for prefabB whenever they are at a swap point.
    3. I'll explain in the past why there's no follower unit. It's a huge undertaking and it's tricky to get right because it needs more sophisticated AI than the average hostile unit. So it's not very high up in my list for the next update if I'm honest.
    4. Interesting idea, I'll think about it.

Regarding Elevator, it's cool but tricky to do. Moving the whole level is almost out of the question. With so many game-object in a scene, how can you possibly know which object is to be moved, which is not? So that would require manual specification from user, which will end up being a very tedious process. Not to mention there will be item spawned during runtime. On the other hand (elevate the player unit), almost all of the framework are built with the assumption of the whole game will take place on a flat surface in mine. Adding vertical component is probably going break a lot of stuff. I'll think about it, but I won't count on me doing it anytime soon.

41. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hey Song,

No worries, just throwing ideas out there :). I am still very new to the TK at this stage but it basically has everything I could want to use as it is anyway. It's actually kind of enjoyable to get into something where I am not constantly forced to write my own code, extend classes, or override stuff - so I am having fun just getting my own assets in there and seeing how to set things up. About the only thing I got stuck on was sorting my own Turret Weapon asset but I spotted something in one of the scripts that had to do with the weapon IDs so I now know what to look for to solve that little problem. This is also my first 3D Unity project so I can call on 30+ years of CG and 3D Animation experience on assets that are for myself for a change which is nice.

42. johny256

johny256

please add complete gui menu..load save player and level..unlock level.buy menu system

43. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'm sorry but main menu and player progress management is simply not the point of the toolkit.

The aim of this toolkit (in fact all of my toolkits) is to allow rapid prototyping and designing of various mechanic of the genre. It's to provide framework non-coder and beginner to design their own unique top-down shooter game. I never intend the user to use the toolkit default asset or even UI layout. Therefore I don't see the point of making a main menu since I don't think anyone is going to use a stock menu.

The same goes for save/load/unlock level. Every game has a different structure and progression system in term of level, which require different implementation. It's just not worth it, or useful consider the amount of work it could involve..

I hope you understand.

44. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello, I am just in the process of sorting my own weapon. I have managed to get it working (sort of) but I have a couple of questions...

1. On the Unit Player script in the Weapon List section is that something I need to touch or is it auto-populated?
    2. What is the Weapon ID and also what is the Ability ID on the Weapon script?

I have a general idea of what they are but wondered what the process of using them is in relation to creating a new weapon.

WeaponorAbilityId.jpg

45. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

1. You don't need to edit anything directly in Inspector. In fact, I don't recommend it unless you have looked at the code and know exactly what you are doing. Fyi WeaponList is auto-populated during runtime based on whatever weapon you have assigned to the unit in UnitEditor.
    2. Each item (weapon, ability, collectible) has a unique ID assigned to them for identification. AbilityID on weapon are the ID used to identify which ability has been assigned to the weapon.

Hope this answer your questions.

46. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Cool thanks for the clarification on that. I have probably been digging around a bit too much and making the process more complicated than it needs to be.

47. Sr-Liermann

Sr-Liermann

Hello!
    How are you?
    I bought this kit today, however I have not found how to put more than one weapon or "cannon" in the same tank.

My tank models are sci fi, has two cannons, two missile launcher.

Is there a way to put two weapons in the same tank?

And some example with sound is moving tank.

Wow I see know that it dont have script to Animator and Animations While Move.
    It sound like a disaster for me.:(

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  48. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Sr-Liermann likes this.
  49. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello Song,

I am working on a mobile shooter. Instead of a Load Out GUI for the game I was hoping to have a couple of buttons for Previous/Next weapon (similar to using the ScrollWeapon in Desktop version). Is this functionality something that could be implemented as standard? I have been trying to sort it out myself by extending the TDSTouchInput and UnitPlayer classes but am not having any luck so far.

50. Sr-Liermann

Sr-Liermann

Thankyou for your help.

This kit is good, have alot of advanced things but missing some basic features, i will still waiting for author Support more 2 Days then I will do a review.