Search Unity

Top-Down platform game

Discussion in '2D' started by FrioneL, Oct 28, 2014.

1. FrioneL

FrioneL

Hi there!

I am a new Unity user. I'm just starting to use the tool and doing some tutorials, watching videos, reading documentation... to sum up, having lots of unity :p

I always wanted to create a top-down 2d platform game, like Alundra from psx:

I wanted to start this project with Unity as an excuse to learn the engine. The thing is, I came across with some ideas of how this could be done, but any of them looks easy to do and I am sure, with Unity, has to be some tricks to do with Z order and layers to have this jumping mechanics in an easy way.

I need some help here. How would you abord this kind of game? Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks to all!

2. CalaveraX

CalaveraX

Hi!

First of all, i strongly recomend that you get your hand on some tilemap editor assets, or you are going to get crazy when trying to build diferent scenarios.

Second you have in the inspector the options for the "Ordering Layer" and "Order in Layer" to achieve the sprites ordering in Z,

you can watch this tutorial for the character controller, its for a platformer game, but it can be addapted pretty quickly

Cheers!

3. FrioneL

FrioneL

Thanks for answering.

I know about the order layers. The thing is i cant come across with an easy solution to implement this platform mechanics in a top down game.

I need some help about it. I think it shouldnt have to be so dificult with unity.

4. isdinegnorra

isdinegnorra

hi everyone , somebody help me about JUMPING in top down game . please..

5. Cornysam

Cornysam

6. GazingUp

GazingUp

Here's a thread I started on Game Design.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/2d-3-4-perspective-platforming-action-rpg-adventure.722189/

I have observed Alundra a lot actually, and learned how they do it.

https://gph.is/g/ZYAwKW1

This is what I had a couple days ago. It is a bit better now. I am able to jump from platform to platform even better.

The keys are :

- sorting order
    - Colliders within shadow gameobject
    - Tile colliders for fall tiles
    - Tile colliders for jumpable tiles

The code is literally the easiest part though. You simply change the Y of the player character up for some time, and then bring player back down without altering the shadow's position. It's best you learn how to do this as this is a good exercise to learn programming too.

7. orchard800

orchard800

You need to change the transparency sorting order from z to y in project settings. That will place sprites higher on Y to appear behind lower sprite.