Search Unity

Top Down Game with Houses?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by dylanhutching, Aug 28, 2019.

1. dylanhutching

dylanhutching

So I've been starting to make games with unity over the past few weeks, but usually some things are hard to find, aren't possible, or i simply lack the knowledge of scripts to do.

In this case I'm making a top down multiplayer looter shooter. I want it to be a deathmatch amongst 4 players, with lootable buildings. Right now i'm just trying to get the game to work in single player before i even think about multiplayer.

At this moment I've made a moving character that rotates to face the mouse, as well as a tiled map full of buildings (see attachment) The map isn't done yet, and i need to figure out how to use pixel perfect camera but right now i'm just worrying about how I'll get the rooves to disappear as you walk inside(and later i want this to only affect the player inside the house) but I'm just not sure how to go about this from a scripting pov.

Any advice is bound to be helpful and well appreciated :)
    Thanks in advance.
    Dylan

Attached Files:

• map.png
      map.png
      File size:
      37.1 KB
      Views:
  2. dylanhutching

dylanhutching

should i just make a couple assets and get rid of the complex shapes to save time?

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

Use simple objects/shapes (primitives). Will be easier to you to work with. To make roof disappear, look into collision OnEnter or similar. Then look, how to show/hide objects.

dylanhutching likes this.
  4. dylanhutching

dylanhutching

Thanks, just made some new assets, and i think i get how the collisions will work, but the only thing i'm still confused about is the multiplayer. I've tried making a multiplayer pong before but i ran into more issues than i can count. Are there any decent resources for multiplayer and unity?

5. Antypodish

Antypodish

There is plenty resources on the net. But if you beginner in programming and game dev. I would suggest, you rather focus for now with single player. You will have tons of challenges on its own.

If you try making multiplier now, chances are you will stuck, since you don't understand many aspect yet. Once you stuck, you will feel lack of progression. And risking giving up.

So again, keep for now small and simple. Make single player work fun and playable first.
    Learn aspects of game dev in Unity.

JeffDUnity3D likes this.
  6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'd suggest not making a multiplayer game as your first game in Unity. Since no one ever listens to that advice... :p take a look at some solutions in the below thread, and discussion in the Connected Games forum. The networking system in the current documentation was deprecated a year ago, so don't use that. Its replacement is in an alpha state with almost no documentation. So your best bet is choosing from a 3rd party solution.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/wha...of-available-network-solutions-assets.609088/

As for the house question, trigger colliders and either disabling the roof or make the roof semi-transparent probably with the alpha value on the shader's color which allows for transparency, or something along those lines.

Antypodish likes this.