Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3D Top Down - Fantasy Forest

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Fer00m, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hey there!
    I'd like to show off my new 3D environment asset pack I'm making, aimed at any top down game - RTS, MOBA, RPGs and so on. The project is nearly at an end, I only have a couple of assets left to make, a proper demo scene and URP and HDRP support.

Take a look at few screenshots from the test level:

And breakdown of all assets at the moment:

I'm really curious what you think and looking forward to any questions and feedback!

PutridEx, Deleted User, mgear and 6 others like this.
  2. Snyllik

Snyllik

Looks pretty good. How many prefabs (roughly) is it going to have? :)

3. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

I love the look of this, it will fit right in with the game I'm working on at the moment. Do you have a rough idea of when it'll be ready to submit to the asset store?

4. Fer00m

Fer00m

@Snyllik Thanks! Currently there's 171 prefabs, with 4 new models and 3 particle effects coming, so the total would be 178 for the initial version.
    @Munchy2007 It certainly looks like it'd be a good fit! I hope it will be ready for release before the end of October.

Munchy2007 likes this.
  5. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hey everyone!
    I have finished the pack and it is now awaiting review! In the meantime here's a video showcasing the demo scene:

Let me know what you think!

EternalMerodach and Munchy2007 like this.
  6. Fer00m

Fer00m

7. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Purchased :)

I'll leave a review once I've had a chance to use it in my game.

Fer00m likes this.
  8. Fer00m

Fer00m

@Munchy2007
    Thanks, looking forward to see what you think!
    If you have any questions or need technical support, let me know here or via support@triforge.eu!

Munchy2007 likes this.
  9. AyArtGames

AyArtGames

Hi !! i really love your work specially this one looks so great. I have a question, can this asset be used in mobile platformes ?

10. zoltanBorbas

zoltanBorbas

This looks amazing!!! I have been looking for environmental assets that reminds me of Warcraft and this is it! Do you guys plan to release other assets of this top down style of different environments?

11. Fer00m

Fer00m

@zoltanBorbas Thank you, glad you like it! Yes! I have more top down packs like this planned - different environments, RTS buildings etc. Next up is most likely a medieval village environment of sorts.

@AyArtGames Thanks! I guess it depends on the target platform and scene optimization. I don't own anything other than my personal smartphone, so I couldn't really do any proper testing for mobile. The included demo scene most likely isn't suitable for mobile.

Munchy2007 likes this.
  12. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

any chance to show screenshots without Amplify shader ?

13. stegoo

stegoo

I really like this pack. Very excited to dig into it.
    I am trying to run your DemoSceneV2 and unity says 2 scripts are missing from the camera.
    Not sure if that is the problem, but the main issue is with the materials all showing pink in the player view.
    They show fine in scene view.
    Unity 2020.1.10 with HDRP 8.2
    Any suggestions?

14. Fer00m

Fer00m

15. stegoo

stegoo

You are correct. I was not importing the HDRP version.
    Demo scene works great now!
    Thanks for the help.

16. flawedGames

flawedGames

Beautiful video! I just wish my URP scene looked the same. Are there URP or lighting tweaks we need to do? Here is what mine looks like currently, which isn't great... A readme file could be helpful as I'm sure there are other that are excited for the potential but disappointed in the out-of-the-box.

upload_2021-2-5_23-10-52.png

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  17. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hey @flawedGames!

Is this URP 8.2 or 7.3? These are the supported versions. It shouldn't be this bright on these versions.
    In any case - since URP seems to lack many features of Built-in, URP version will not look the same as Built-in or HDRP, you can check the video and screenshots of the URP package.

For starters, when using URP you need edit your graphics settings profile to enable Depth Texture, set the Shadow distance to around 150-200 (by default it's 50, which is ridiculously low) and switch from Two Cascade to Four Cascade shadows.

18. flawedGames

flawedGames

Thanks @Fer00m - the build-in looks good.

I was using URP 7.3.1 to produce that screenshot. Your adjustments helped, but you're correct that the brightness is too high. If you do play with the out-of-box settings and find a magic formula, please let me know (or include a read me and update the package, which I'll download).

Thanks for the beautiful asset and I look forward to playing with it more using Built-In.

19. Fer00m

Fer00m

@flawedGames
    Thanks for letting me know, I will continue tweaking the scene to bring it more in line with Built-in appearance and update the URP package as soon as I have some more time! (currently I'm busy working on big update for Winter Forest pack)

20. flawedGames

flawedGames

Any more Top Down assets planned for the future?

21. Fer00m

Fer00m

Yes, I have plans for several more, but right now I don't have any details to share. I'd really like to turn this into a series.

Munchy2007 likes this.
  22. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hey everyone!
    I'm pushing an update to the URP version of the pack that brings the visuals a bit closer to what Built-in version looks like! Here's comparison:

Of course it's not 1:1 the same and that's probably not possible. Lights and postprocessing seems to behave a bit differently in URP in some cases - the same values across both can produce different results. Also built-in version uses ambient occlussion and Enlighten realtime global illumination which URP lacks.

There are also several graphical settings that need configuration to achieve the same look as in the screenshots after importing the assets into your project:
    • Make sure that the color space is set to Linear
    • Set Anisotropic Filtering to Forced On
    • Turn on the Depth Textures in URP setting file (this is needed for particle effects to work)
    • Set the shadow distance from default 50 to around 100 and switch from two cascade to four cascade shadows.
    • Additionally, you can increase the shadow resolution from default 2048 to 4096
    The update should be available in the coming days!

Munchy2007 likes this.
  23. DeanTheodorakis

DeanTheodorakis

I have to say, that art is dang beautiful!

24. waverz

waverz

Hi Fer00m
    Kindly check the image link (https://ibb.co/HrCfr8g) I am trying to understand what is the dark green area for? this is my first time with HDRP but I really don't know what is it?! I tried to duplicate the terrain but it only shows on the original one.
    Also the trees in the inspector are pink!
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  25. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hi @waverz
    From the screenshot it looks like the area affected by reflection probes. You can copy, move and bake the probes to your other terrains, so the terrain won't be as reflective like they are without reflection probes.

As for the trees being pink in inspector - that's not the fault of the assets, but rather a bug in Unity HDRP/URP. Selecting all the meshes or prefabs in the project window, right-clicking and selecting reimport may fix it, but I don't guarantee this.

26. waverz

waverz

Thanks Mate, the reflection probe works fine just increased the size of the container box, I think I missed that thing when I tried.. don't know but at least it works.

so for the pink trees reimporting selected prefabs also works :)

Thanks again

27. matzomat

matzomat

Great asset! I really like the stile. I'm using it for a mobile project and I'm having performance issues with the trees it seems when creating a full forest. How can I prevent them from moving? I'd like to try that.

Edit: Thought movement was causing issues with physics but it didn't. Still the trees cause a hefty drop on frames on older tablets.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  28. Fer00m

Fer00m

@matzomat
    The trees are animated via shader-generated noise and vertex offset and don't use any physics. Keep in mind that I mention in the store description that the assets are not aimed for mobile devices. With that being said, though I imagine it's not impossible to get some good results with it.

If you use URP, maybe you could switch tree's materials to URP standard material, since it allows you to disable backface culling (which is what you usually want for foliage). This will however also affect the visuals and remove the top-bottom color gradient from the trees.

Maybe I could make a variant with no vertex offset at all when I have the time. If you have Amplify Shader Editor then you could also easily edit it out.

matzomat likes this.
  29. mgear

mgear

looks amazing!

are you planning to release some characters, mobs, items with matching style? (would be instant buy : )

30. Fer00m

Fer00m

@mgear
    Thanks!
    Right now I'm planning to expand with more environment packs, but eventually I'd love to do dedicated RTS buildings packs and units (player controlled units, creeps/monsters, neutrals etc.) - but that's still quite a bit further in the future.

GilbertoBitt and mgear like this.
  31. taylank

taylank

Does this asset work on URP 12? Has anyone tested it?

32. Lifee00

Lifee00

Looks very nice friend, I wonder do you make all these with blender etc.?