Search Unity

Top Down 2D movement script adaption

Discussion in '2D' started by Jonnoiscooler, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Jonnoiscooler

Jonnoiscooler

Hey

I'v been working on top down 2D RTS and found a great youtube tutorial for 3D RTS detailing movement selection and movement.

The selection script I adapted fine, but the movement script has me stumped and don't have a lot of idea on how to adapt it to an x-y plane, rather then x-z. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the video:

Here's the script he's written in the tutorial:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private void UpdateMove()
    2.     {
    3.         if (movetoDest != Vector3.zero && transform.position != movetoDest)
    4.         {
    5.             Vector2 direction = (movetoDest - transform.position).normalized;
    6.             transform.GetComponent<Rigidbody>().velocity = direction * speed;
    8.             if (Vector2.Distance(transform.position, movetoDest) < stopDistanceOffset)
    9.                 movetoDest = Vector2.zero;
    10.         }
    11.         else
    12.             transform.GetComponent<Rigidbody>().velocity = Vector2.zero;
    13.     }
    14. }
    and here:

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void UpdateMove()
    2.     {
    3.         if (movetoDest != Vector3.zero && transform.position != movetoDest)
    4.         {
    5.             Vector3 direction = (movetoDest - transform.position).normalized;
    6.             transform.GetComponent<Rigidbody>().velocity = direction * speed;
    8.             if (Vector3.Distance(transform.position, movetoDest) < stopDistanceOffset)
    9.                 movetoDest = Vector3.zero;
    10.         }
    11.         else
    12.             transform.GetComponent<Rigidbody>().velocity = Vector3.zero;
    13.     }
    14. }

Keep in mind some of this code may appear different due to my adaption of it

Please let me know if this is too vague and how I can help you help me! this is my first post so I'm not to sure on some of the etiquette around here :p

2. Catfang007

Catfang007

You need to set:
    direction.z = 0;
    after line 5 in your second code snippet to work in the x-y plane.

In the first snippet, 2D and 3D vectors are being mixed. I'm guessing you are only seeing the "else" statement being hit in the debugger?