Search Unity

Top DOG Game Development Contest

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jul 27, 2007.

1. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

All 3 of us are moderators on this forum. We should all set a better example. I don't think you're teaching anything by calling someone else a "fanboy". Bringing up Huxley is just a sophomoric cop out and is absolutely irrelevant. I felt like you were just picking on someone less than half your age and you should know better than that. I also edited Bill's post because it was slightly inflamatory and I wanted to just end it right there. If you feel the need to keep this argument going with me then do it in a PM.

2. taumel

taumel

Honestly i don't need you to tell me how i should behave. If you feel after protecting your friend that's okay but please don't alter or delete posts. If you think that my arguments aren't relevant for you that's your opinion, i think they fit pretty well.

3. hsparra

hsparra

Can't we all just be friends? :D

4. Bampf

Bampf

The moderator's job on the forum is to tell people how to behave.
    You are escalating again by accusing the moderator of "protecting your friend". The moderator explained exactly what he objected to in your earlier post. You could have made a good argument for why that was excessive, but instead you accused the moderator of bias. That doesn't really help your case.

You just need to find a more neutral and respectful way to disagree.

5. taumel

taumel

>>>
    Can't we all just be friends? :D
    <<<

I suspect we are only allowed to, if we PM... ;O)

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Everyone please chill out or this thread will get locked down. Thanks.

<group hug>

7. Jessy

Jessy

The whole last page of the thread already makes no sense because of post deletion. Just start a new thread. This topic deserves better.

8. Samantha

Samantha

A small update:

We've already received two official entry registrations, more than a month before the registration deadline! Keep sending your registrations to contest@unity3d.com!

I think we're all interested to see what everyone is working on. Feel free to use this thread to post screenshots or work-in-progress web players!

9. drJones

drJones

nice! i imagine you'll get a bunch right at the deadline - if i do enter myself i'll probably be registering around then too - i've never completed a game before so i don't have the slightest idea if i can squeeze one out in time or not - but i'm trying ; )

10. Sync1B

Sync1B

Geez, I was just poking a little fun. My apologies. Thats awesome Sam. Cant wait to see screens.

Bill

11. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

All the recent chatter about the prizes seemed well timed as what you folks didn't know at the time was that we were already working on a mild update to the finalist prize offerings. Notably we're working with the folks behind the Independant Games Festival (hi Matt Wegner :) ) to help sponsor all Top DOG finalists as entries in the IGF's Best Web Game category!

Check the contest page (scroll to the prize listings):
    http://unity3d.com/contest/

And the IGF news item from yesterday (Aug. 6th):
    http://www.igf.com

For those that don't know the IGF is a great games festival/competition that runs along with GDC each year. This prize should most definitely net the authors some extra publicity and promotion among their peers and the industry. :)

So bring on the entries!

Edit: we've been spreading the word about this contest too...

Are you the Top DOG on GameDev.net
    Are you the Top DOG on DevMaster.net

12. taumel

taumel

>>>
    Which is exactly our plan. I don't know that we've seen anything that compells us to change things mid-course and I agree that prize reduction after announcing is not the way to go. For now it stands as is because we feel that all finalists will receive valuable rewards for their efforts, then the winner gets some nice extra juice for being the Top DOG.

Thanks for the feedback folks and good luck to all that enter!
    <<<

I wonder if that happened before or after posting that and i'm not surprised why Quakecon prices were organised like this http://www.quakecon.org/

13. Bampf

Bampf

And I'm not surprised you brought up your point yet again after the discussion had moved on.

You made your point already. Some of us (including me) agreed with you to varying degrees. But changing the contest rules after they've been announced is never done, so I don't know what you hope to accomplish by grumbling some more about it.

(It's also a bit unfair to compare the division of a huge prize pot like QuakeCon's to Top Dog's. I could point out that none of the prizes QC gave out was less than $1250. I'm sure the 9th place winner would have wanted a different subdivision, but at some point you have to stop while the amounts are still meaningful. Where that is is a judgement call.)

There is little chance the terms of the Top Dog contest will change. You've done what you can to influence the prize structure of the next contest. That's all you can do for now. So declare victory and move on.

[EDIT: Actually there is a reasonable way for the prizes to change, if OTEE were to add more money to the pot. I suspect this isn't going to happen. Though they did just add a new non-cash prize for all the contestants apparently.]

14. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

As I said above, the notion of sponsoring finalists in the IGF competition has been in the works for a little bit now. In case you somehow missed it in my post above:

We needed to coordinate the announcement with the IGF and thus couldn't announce until this week.

15. bronxbomber92

bronxbomber92

Great addition Tom!

I've got a question. If one works in a team, do they both get a license to Unity Pro (of course, if they win)?

16. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

The contest page says that the winner (as in winning entry) gets one copy of Unity Pro 2.0. So if you're working on a team then you'll have to sort out how to split things up. :)

17. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Contest is TOP DOG.
    I'm yellow labrador, since I'm the only dog in this community, Can I just have the $$$ and the license in return here's a little screenie. "World Capitals".

Ray

Attached Files:

18. drJones

drJones

and i'm doctor jones, first name indiana - yes i was named after the dog.
    does that count for second?

; )

PS sweet looking pic is that part of your entry?

19. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

I prefer to howl and run in packs my friends. Been dingo since 1974. Booyah!

20. kaaJ

kaaJ

Hey OTEE, do we get a confirmation email after registering?

Btw I'm entering with a puzzle/action game, the snowboardgame is delayed untill I can integrate it into the new terrain system...

Grtz,
    kaaJ

21. Omar Rojo

Omar Rojo

im no dog but entering anyways :D

.ORG

22. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

I was also wondering about the confirmation e-mail that was supposed to come. Anyway I sent the registration e-mail, hopefully it didn't get bounced.

Jeff

23. kaaJ

kaaJ

Why is it so quiet in the showcase forum these past weeks... Is everybody protecting their original ideas? :)

I hope there will be a bunch of screenshots posted on this thread after the registration deadline!

Grtz,
    kaaJ

24. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

We haven't even started developing. :) (Ack)

Feel free to lead by example.

-Jon

25. kaaJ

kaaJ

Hmmm. I'll give it a shot as soon as the artwork is not hurting everybody's eyes! :wink:

kaaJ

26. drJones

drJones

not here but i started from scratch have never made a complete game before (managers, full gui etc.) so all the time i could put into it thus far has been scripting learning. in other words it looks like crap atm ; )

FYI i'm doing a variation on a stacking game.

27. Samantha

Samantha

Apologies, I am behind with getting replies out to the contest entrants. That is first thing on my to-do list today. Sorry for the delay!

28. kaaJ

kaaJ

hehe, no problem Sam! I was just worried that my pdf didn't pass the spam filter :)

.kaaJ