Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Toony Colors Pro+Mobile: Cartoon Shaders pack with lots of features!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jean-Moreno, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

No concrete plans currently, but I am definitely interested in it.
    Some parts of the final system are still unclear (e.g. what happens to surface shaders? will we be able to write shader graphs as shader code?), and I'll have to learn about it a bit more and then do tests, but it's definitely on my mind.
    I would also like to know how shader keywords are handled and if any changes are expected in this system.

I think a first step would be to derive from the Lightweight pipeline and make a Toony Colors pipeline, basically.
    Although it could also be a good way to make TCP2 support deferred rendering, which isn't available in Lightweight, so I don't know... I could also adapt the HD pipeline. It'll all depend on how much work it will require to adapt each pipeline, but from the sound of it it is meant to be easy enough, so I'm opitmistic about it!

That being said, it will require a rewrite from scratch at least for the shaders part, so in the end this might end up being Toony Colors Pro 3! ;)

2. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

hey there, I'm trying to make a double sided PBR shader. I had a double sided Unity shader that I was happy with (in an un toony way) based on this from github (https://gist.github.com/unitycoder/469118783af9d2fd0e2b36becc7dd347) which I think is just the Unity shader with the cull off flags set...

Your PBR shader is looking perfect for what I want, but just not double sided. I have tried the generator, but I cant figure out how to make it load your stock PBR Outline shader in so I can just set the double sided checkbox- whenever I do that the 'generate' button turns into an 'update' button- but I dont want to update I want to generate!

So basically I just want the PBR Outline shader that is your stock one- just double sided (Cull Off)

3. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

The stock Standard PBS shader can't be loaded in the Shader Generator, it is its own thing.

Instead do this:
    - make sure to click on "Create Shader" to create a new shader
    - load the "Standard PBS" template at the top right hand corner
    - enable the Outline feature
    - set Culling to Off
    - optionnally enable "Backface Lighting" if you want correct lighting for the now-visible backfaces

You will also have to enable the options you want to use, such as stylized specular and/or fresnel.
    A generated shader has fixed options and doesn't add those checkboxes in the material (you can however modify the shader with the Shader Generator afterwards, or copy it to make variations with/without some options)

4. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

Thanks @Jean-Moreno !

That is nearly perfect! Just hit one snag though. If I switch the double-sided version from opaque to cutout, only the front faces get cut out- is there any way of fixing this?

TCP2-Cutout-doublesided-issue1.PNG

Thanks again :)

5. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Hmm that's weird... could you send me your shader + texture in an email please? I'd like to take a closer look. Please include the .meta files too.

6. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

@davidosullivan Ok now that I took a look at the files, I understand: this is actually the outline.
    The outline doesn't work with cutout mode, because it just breaks the outline illusion if they are mixed (this is due to how the technique works), so it will just be rendered based on the mesh and ignore the texture transparency.

What you can do here is have a separate material for the cape that doesn't include the outline option (and if you do want an outline on it too, your best bet would be to draw it directly on the texture, although the color might not be exactly the same as the actual outline because of lighting but... it could still work if it's dark enough).

7. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

Thanks Jean, I went with what you suggested and that works fine :)

But now I'm having an issue with getting that generated shader to work from an assetBundle for Android (probably iOS too but I havent gotten to building that yet).

The problem I am having is that the properties that you see in the editor when inspecting the shader dont actually seem to be on the shader thats generated for Android and put in the bundle. I'm really not knowledgeable at all when it comes to shaders so thats just a guess!

I'm using the TCP2 shader I shared with you before on a material for an UMA character (I'm one of the devs for UMA so I know quite a bit about that at least!) What UMA does when it generates is it creates a copy of the material you have defined and atlasses all the textures for all the parts of the character together as textures for that material.

So I have a material defined that uses the TCP shader I generated, and UMA is trying to assign the generated textures it has made to '_MainTex', '_BumpMap', '_MetallicGlossMap''

This all works fine in the editor (when loading the shader from the project) but when I try to load the shader from the assetBundle UMA tells me that (for example) 'Material Channel 0 refers to material property '_MainTex' but no such property exists' (in that message 'Material Channel 0 refers to the channel that is set up on a thing called an 'UMA Material' rather than anything like the shader property ID so its not to do with whether its Material Channel 0 or Material Channel 2 etc)

But this only seems to happen if I use my generated shader. If I use the TCP2 Standard PBS shader things work even if I load that from an assetBundle.

In both cases the assetBundle containing the shader also automatically includes 'TCP2_PBS_ShadowMeta', 'TCP2_Standard PBS Outline', 'TCP2_Outline_SM2', 'TCP2_Outline' which both my shader and TCP2's own PBS shader are apparently dependent on.

So what I am wondering is, do generated shaders get different property names dependent on the platform maybe?

(Sorry for the long explanation, but it will be difficult for me to send you an example where you can test all this to see what I mean!)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  8. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

Weirder still, when I look at the material on the SkinnedMeshRenderer in debug mode after the UMA has generated, the properties its complaining about appear to be there...
    TCPShader-AssetBundleIssue-debugView.PNG

9. GeekJam

GeekJam

Hey, i'm running into an issue with the Water WindWaker shader specifically on Mac builds, it looks fine in the editor.

I think it has something todo with the _CameraDepthTexture? I posted this question in the general Unity forums but thought I'd post here too. Screenshots are attached below.

Ty!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using Unity version 5.6.5p1

In the editor on my Mac (early 2012) the shader used that draws water has _CameraDepthTexture set to Deferred Depth

However, in a OSX Universal Build, the same shader will have _CameraDepthTexture set to the same as the render target, which happens to be TempBuffer7

I believe this is causing an issue I'm seeing with the shader in the build, and not in the editor.

Any reason why _CameraDepthTexture will be different between editor and build? Is there a way to ensure that Deferred Depth is referenced in a build?

In build - notice no edge detection and general strange foam params
    ShaderInBuild.png

In the Editor, things look great
    ShaderInEditor.png

10. GeekJam

GeekJam

Resolved! I disabled Auto Generate Graphics API for Mac, and removed Metal (my device is pre metal) to just include OpenGL Core. Shader works in build!

Jean-Moreno likes this.
  11. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Hmm, no, the shader properties should be the same on all platforms (unless Unity does things behind the scenes but I doubt it and in that case it would be weird that it doesn't work for this shader only).
    Maybe the shader didn't compile on that platform for some reason, and since it didn't compile Unity doesn't know its properties? So it says that it can find them... Unless you verified that the shader works fine outside of the whole asset bundle thing?
    I would try the same process with the simplest possible generated shader (just open the Shader Generator, create a new shader with the default template, and don't enable any option). This file should be self-contained and won't rely on any other file, so it can be a good way to see if it has to do with dependencies (such as outlines).

I don't have experience with Asset Bundles so unfortunately I don't have any other clue. If you can set up a repro project for me to check out, then I can try to debug it further and inspect the data when it breaks, but that's about it.

12. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

I've had reports of issues with features using the depth-buffer on iOS but haven't found the exact cause so far. It looks like Metal could be the culprit, and it's nice to know that there's a workaround! Thanks!

13. pencilking2002

pencilking2002

Hi Jean. Recently I've been studying techniques that the developers over at Arc System Works used to create the Guilty Gear series. There is a long GDC talk about what kind of techniques they used in order to achieve their astonishing cel shading. Perhaps you've seen it?

My question is can any of their techniques be accomplished with Toony colors yet? For example: They use painted vertex colors to influence the normals in a mesh, the result (if successfully done) allows greater control over how a mesh gets lit. I think these are called generated normals? To be more precise, Let's say I had a model of a head and wanted the bottom of nose to always stay in shadow. I would paint the red channel to be 0 on all the vertices under the nose and then instruct my shader to basically use that as an occlusion map in the shader. I hope I've explained my question in a way that's understandable. For reference I included a link to the video above.

14. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

I did, it's a great talk! The result is very impressive, and even more so in Dragon Ball FighterZ!
    Actually I think you are mixing up the vertex normals editing and the vertex color threshold control, which are two different techniques described in the talk.

Vertex normal editing is just that: modifying them so that the shadowed part always looks good, like in a manga or anime. You can do that already, there's nothing special going on in the shader, it's only relative to the mesh.

Vertex color threshold is a little more complex: the "threshold" will define at which angle between the light vector and the vertex normal should the mesh be lit (this is the equivalent of "wrapped lighting" in realistic shaders) - this is already available in TCP2, it's the "Ramp Threshold" value.
    Currently you can't control it with vertex colors though so you just have one value per material, but I'm actually working on a new system to allow for that kind of flexible control. Note that this could also be controlled with a texture.

Other techniques from the talk:
    - axis-aligned UVs for inner black lines: this is dependent on the mesh and should work with TCP2
    - control outline width from vertex color: there's an option for that in the Shader Generator
    - tint color texture for the shadowed area: there's an option for that too

That flexible system I mentioned is a work in progress and I still have to figure how to add that elegantly in the Shader Generator UI, but let me know if you want me to make a special template with the threshold controlled by vertex colors - it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  15. pencilking2002

pencilking2002

Thanks for your structured response and for correcting my explanation! I'd love to try out the vertex color threshold if you've got it handy. If its too much work though, a ballpark estimate of when you will release it will do too :D

16. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Hard to give an estimate, I'm juggling between multiple projects currently! But I can try to make that template for you this week... please send me an email so that I don't forget and I can send you the template there!

17. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Will you be supporting the SRP? We would love to purchase this for our studio but it is useless to us unless it supports the new SRP going forward :(

18. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Yes, this is planned, here are the different parts that I have in mind:
    • I'm working on getting an experimental template to be used with the Shader Generator that would work with the Lightweight Pipeline, with limited features available at first (I'm hoping to get that in the coming week)
    • I'm thinking about making an entirely custom SRP just for Toony Colors Pro, so that it could be optimized and add more options related to non-realistic rendering (e.g. define the ramp shading settings per-light instead of per-material). This one would come later, I'll wait for at least 2018.1 to be fully released and probably for the Lightweight Pipeline to be fully released as well (out of the "preview" mode), because it will most likely be based off it.
    • I need to see if and how Shader Graph could be leveraged (probably need to be tied to that aforementioned custom SRP) for people who want more flexibility than the Shader Generator (which will be more flexible too in the future, I'm working on that, see my previous answers in this thread)
    • I need to evaluate if having shaders that work with HD Pipeline could be relevant (kind of like the current "Standard PBS" shaders from TCP2, although they could also be done in Lightweight), as it really is focused on realistic graphics so there might be a lot of unnecessary things bloating the code and performances for a stylized style (also it probably means harder maintenance given the complexity of its shaders)

19. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Awesome! I have been digging about in shadergraph so if you have any questions be sure to ask. Making toony colors pro 2 work as a custom master node for lightweight should not be too much work, considering all the code required to do so is available now in their example repositories on git. So I should think editing the shaders via the shadergraph should be viable :)

20. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

@Daemonhahn I've started work on the Lightweight SRP template for the Shader Generator and I have it in a working state on my end; would you be willing to test it out? That'd help me a lot!
    Please send me an email if you're on board and I'll send you the template.

21. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I would love to, but I am doing a test project this weekend for a new job so I won't be able to test until Monday onwards. Ill hit you up an email tomorrow about this as would love to :)

22. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Well today I made it work with the latest lightweight version (1.1.5) and added outline support, so I went ahead and released the experimental template in the latest TCP2 update (v2.3.5).
    Feel free to update TCP2 to test it!

23. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Awesome, I will do when I have time either tonight or tomorrow :) We purchased the asset just now ;)

24. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

@ Jean-Moreno I will be trying out the update tonight :) Ill be sure to message on here + email my feedback!
    If we have any questions related to support should we email you? Although its not really support, I was just hoping to get some explanations on which areas of the shaders we should edit to add in some changes that we might have, is this the kind of thing it is okay to email support about?

25. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Yep, email is preferred, and you can ask about anything! Depending on my workload, I'll be able to either directly help you or guide you in the right direction towards your goal!

26. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

@Jean-Moreno
    Thanks for the quick fix, I am at work but will download the update and let you know if theres any more problems. Im actually reasonably capable at writing shaders and am very interested in uplifting some of toony colors pro 2 functionality into nodes for shadergraph etc, if theres anything I can do to potentially help with this let me know!

27. thegreyman1

thegreyman1

Wondering if there's any way to add noise/ width variation to the outlines? I'm looking to get a more freehand pencil look to my material.

28. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

You can currently do that using the Shader Generator with the "Vertex Color Width" option for the Outline feature. It will allow you to define a vertex color channel that will modulate the outline width. You can even effectively hide the outline for parts where the geometry can be problematic (e.g. eyes) by setting the vertex color to 0 on these areas.
    Nothing procedural though, you will have to edit the vertex colors yourself!

29. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

i am very happy with this assets, but its possible to add internal outline, not only borders?

30. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

It depends on what you mean by internal:
    • by default, the "Outline" option will also show outline across the model itself, not just behind it, depending on its geometry (e.g. the nose of a character)
    • you can also use the Shader Generator with the "Rim Outline" feature: instead of adding a rim light, it will add a multiplied rim color to the material that can be used to simulate some kind of internal outline (see screenshot here)
    If you meant something else, would you have any reference to show me?

31. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

@Jean-Moreno any further work being done on the SRP version of this shader package?

Currently stuck using the very basic features of the initial release you put out about a month ago, problem is those features are so basic it is actually better for me to write my own shader currently.

Will you be adding the rest of the features? If not I would like to know ahead of time so I can plan time to develop some toon shaders for my project myself etc

32. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Not yet, I just got back from vacation and I have other priorities right now.
    Also I don't want to invest too much time into the Lightweight Pipeline as it still is in preview and as such could change a lot until release, the risk being that I'd redo a lot of work.
    What features were you interested in particularly? Maybe I can help you port these to Lightweight.

33. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

Here

34. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

@r3ndesigner So this is a different, geometry shader-based technique to draw outlines and from what I understood on the thread related to this video, it isn't possible with Unity because of a missing shader feature (the video example was made using the CPU).
    That said, currently there are no plans to add a different outline technique; the only other one I can recommend is the post-processing one from the old versions of Unity, that I ported to Post Processing Stack 2 here on GitHub.

35. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

thanks Jean. ^^

36. ismian

ismian

Hi jean,

Id like to ask you a question about your asset. I'm aiming to create a look similar to Borderlands 2. Most of the effect comes from the hand drawn textures, but it does requiere a Toon Shader like yours. Im fully aware that Toony Colors can create a similar look and even a better one, but my question comes couse Im doubtful about the environment. Do I have to manually select your shader fror every single mesh I add to the scene? Or how is it handle?

37. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

They are classic Unity shaders, which means that they follow Unity's workflow:
    • a Shader has to be assigned to a Material
    • a Material can be assigned to Renderers
      • typically a Mesh Renderer for static objects, or a Skinned Mesh Renderer for animated ones, and they are the components that also take a Mesh as input
    The easiest way to get started is to create a material, and set its shader to "Toony Colors Pro 2/Desktop" (or "Toony Colors Pro 2/Standard PBS" for the physically-based version).

If you are asking if you want a specific shader to be automatically assigned to a material when you create a new one, I don't think that this is possible currently, but it shouldn't be that long considering that you will likely have to tweak the material values afterwards (e.g. add texture(s) to them).

38. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

terrain.png Hey Jean did you think its easy to adapt your shader to terrains?
    i am trying to add the outline feature to my terrain shader, but the strokes just apear when i am near.
    And if i remenber your shader corrects this.

39. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

You can use the Shader Generator with the Terrain template to generate compatible shaders (there will be 3 generated files total). Terrain shaders are their own special thing in Unity, so that's why if you assign a regular shader it will break at some point.

40. millefoliumink

millefoliumink

I have a totally static environment I'm making for mobile, is it possible to use this shader with Baked lightmap? Realtime GI is just way too problematic, I want received and projected shadows and bake those suckers, no realtime lighting at all.

All the other toon shaders I have tested don't allow any baked lightmapping.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  41. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

It should work in the sense that baked lighting would apply to the models, but to get any stylized/toon visuals you will need dynamic lights.
    The lightmaps are baked by Unity internally, and there is no way to alter the lighting model used for that, so it will always be realistic. But you could combine baked lighting with dynamic lights to get a hybrid effect.

If you want the baked lighting to be stylized/toon, then TCP2 won't allow you to do that, and I do believe that you will need to use some external software to bake stylized lightmaps for use in Unity.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    millefoliumink likes this.
  42. millefoliumink

millefoliumink

Thanks for the reply, it's working perfectly!

43. InGameGames

InGameGames

Is there any reason this wouldn't work with decently specced VR? 1070ti and up running a Vive or Rift?

44. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Not sure what you are referring to by "this" (lightmaps or just TCP2?), but if you can get Unity's Standard shader to work fine in VR, so should TCP2 as it's less complex than Unity's Standard.
    If you get any issue or visual artifact, please let me know though!

45. InGameGames

InGameGames

Sorry, I should've clarified. I'm looking to pick up a toon shader to apply to another unity asset, Space Combat Kit that I'm experimenting with in VR: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/space-combat-kit-108097

I'm looking to get that kit looking more like this:

I'd like to achieve a look similar to Macross or Gundam. I did an intro course for 3D animation with Maya at my local university mid-year so I should be able to create my own (basic/simple) models and textures to experiment with as I work on getting better at 3D modelling and familiarized with Unity. I was hoping this kit could achieve a look similar to the you-tube video I linked, at least for the spaceships, space junk and asteroids in the scenes I'm building.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  46. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

From what I can see you can use any shader you want for the materials of the Space Combat Kit, so in that sense it is compatible.
    To get an idea of the kind of visuals you'll get with TCP2, you can always try first with Toony Colors Free, and then upgrade to TCP2 to get all the features. You can take a look at the documentation to see what more you can get with TCP2 compared to the free version.

47. InGameGames

InGameGames

Forgive me for my inexperience but am I using this right? It looks like I need to grab that texture and then create a Toon Ramp to use with it to get these shaders working correctly? Is that just a darker version of the texture or is it something more complicated?

upload_2018-8-29_3-22-38.png
    upload_2018-8-29_3-21-43.png

upload_2018-8-29_3-22-5.png

I pulled the ship model and texture straight from the Unity Space Shooter tutorial.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  48. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

You just need to assign a ramp texture for the "toon ramp" slot, there are a few included with Toony Colors Free.
    Look at this part of the TCP2 documentation to see how they work.
    You can also take a look at the demo scene to see how the materials are set up.

49. pencilking2002

pencilking2002

What's up @Jean-Moreno ! I've been dealing with a weird build-only issue (those are fun) with Unity 2018.2.4f1. I've narrowed the problem down to toony colors outlines. Basically what happens is that outlines do not show on the mesh and instead show up somewhere very close to the camera, almost like they are drawn in the wrong coordinate space or something. I've attached 3 screenshots.
    1) This one is in the editor. Works fine
    2) This one is in a build (this is the problematic one. happens in mac and pc)
    3) Screenshot of my shader EditorScreenshot.png BuildScreenshot.png ShaderScreenshot.png

50. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

I couldn't reproduce your issue with Unity 2018.2.4 on a Windows build and I don't have any clue about this issu so far.
    Could you email me a quick repro project?