Search Unity

Toon Series [growing content; stylized 3D art]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by marincastefan, Apr 6, 2017.

?

What would you like to see added in the Toon Series?

Poll closed May 28, 2020.
  1. Trains, railroads and related

20 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Construction vehicles and tools, construction yard

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. Ships and shipyard

17 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. industrial town or district

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. Space station with rocket platform

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  6. Oil platform, drills and derricks

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  7. Nature props, mountains, cabins,

21 vote(s)
    30.9%
  8. Desert environment, solar panels, tropical vegetation

24 vote(s)
    35.3%
  9. Racing kit + cars (F1 style, monster trucks, rally cars)

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  10. Interior pack (different rooms and sizes, furniture, appliances, etc)

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hydrotoker

Hydrotoker

Well well well, so it does. Many thanks bud

2. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

any news on the toon people pack?

3. marincastefan

marincastefan

Yes, It's been submitted for some time now, I hope it won't be long until it's approved.
    Here's the trailer, in case you're curious :)

Hydrotoker and First_Citizen like this.
  4. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Oh I missed the trailer! How gorgeous!!!! Awesome Thank yoU!!!!

marincastefan likes this.
  5. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Really great. I missing Police and Fireman :D Will you release a profession people some day?

6. Flawless83

Flawless83

please show us some teaser picture of harbour :)

marincastefan and pushingpandas like this.
  7. marincastefan

marincastefan

Sorry for the delayed reply, the last few days have been a bit hectic.

I haven't assembled many assets yet, I've been focusing on the modular construction kit, for the shipyard part. Trying to include as many variations and pieces as possible.
    Here are some samples of that. Once I have more to show, I'll be sure to post the progress.
    Also, probably next week, I'll set up a discord server too, it might prove to be a better way to communicate. screen_2048x1152_2020-08-22_01-39-00.png screen_2048x1152_2020-08-22_01-34-59.png screen_2048x1152_2020-08-22_01-40-10.png

ATeam_Production and Hydrotoker like this.
  8. marincastefan

marincastefan

9. cassius

cassius

Toon City People looks great, but I'm looking for something with a bit more realism. Not photo-realistic, but not toon either. Any way I can easily texture these with my own skins to achieve that look, or will that break all the customizability of the people?

Also, are these rigged?

10. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks!
    Yes, the characters are rigged, if you're using them as intended, with the humanoid type rig, then almost all animations of that type will be transferrable to them.

Regarding the texturing, it could be done without breaking the properties, but I suspect that would only be possible in Blender 3D, since the UV's would have to be reworked in the source application. Right now the models use a planar UV projection which doesn't suit the classic texturing style.
    I, for one, wouldn't attempt to do it, it looks like a lot of hours worth of work.

11. cassius

cassius

Thanks for the help!

12. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

marincastefan earlier this year you said you will include professions (firefighter, police officer) to the character pack. Will they follow in a second pack? I really need professions and it would fit perfect to your city assets since their are many profession vehicles included.

13. marincastefan

marincastefan

Some of the professions will come in a stand-alone pack, but most of them will come in content updates for the existing packs.
    For instance, Toon City has ambulances, firetrucks and police cars, so the characters will be a couple of generic ones, along with policeman, firefighter and doctor. (This update will come right after the launch of Toon Harbor)
    The same with Toon Planes, which will get the pilots and stewardesses, and so on.
    There will probably be other stand-alone character packs too in the future, depending on how well this first one will do commercially.

14. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

ah great! thank you!!!

15. Flawless83

Flawless83

exited about toon harbour, the modular thing sem awesome, can make alot of diferent buildings then.
    When do you expect release?

16. marincastefan

marincastefan

Hopefully by the end of September.

17. Hydrotoker

Hydrotoker

Hi, got a estimate on the price for harbour? Also any interest in starting a discord server?

18. marincastefan

marincastefan

Hi,

Yes, it will be around the $40-$50 mark, depending on the content & features that I manage to add in it.
    Also, yes, I just started a discord server. At the moment it's bretty bare, but I will add more channels to it soon.

https://discord.gg/nwQpAet

19. First_Citizen

First_Citizen

Harbor price sounds awesome. Reallyreallyreally liking the modular aspect based on the images you posted!

Also, in general, does anyone on this thread have a link to a great tutorial for adding Mecanim animations for a programmer type person? I like the toon people pack but past attempts at hooking up animations have ended in frustration.

20. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks!
    I just wished I started building the packs in a more modular fashion sooner, now I have more work on updating the existing packs.

I am still a couple of days away from returning to work, but I'll make a quick video tutorial on how I use external animations. But the gist of it, the mecanim animations should each come with a controller, which can be dragged in the animator component of the character prefab.
    If you want more complex animators with multiple animations and blend trees, then it's a bit more complicated to create the controller than I can explain here, but a video tutorial should be able to help.

First_Citizen likes this.
  21. Flawless83

Flawless83

hows the harbour package going, any release date yet? and are u making your other packages more modular or you gonna make new ones like a whole new city pack and others?

22. marincastefan

marincastefan

Development on Toon Harbor is going well, more than half of the assets are done. Without taking into account the demo scene building, I would say 2-3 weeks until it's done. I'll post some screenshots soon.

As a rule for new packs, they will be modular as much as possible (except special structures and assets that are unique). Plus some interior options and some characters to go along.
    As for the existing packs, I will update them with characters starting later this year. Regarding the modularity, it's such a huge task, especially when considering the hundreds of buildings just in Toon City alone, that I'm considering to make a PRO version for it.
    So the result would be an updated Toon City which contains characters and some interiors maybe, then as an upgrade, Toon City PRO, which would be fully modular, plus interiors, more assets, more characters, more of everything.
    Not the final decision on this though.

23. rewagames

rewagames

Hey @marincastefan
    I am trying to use toon city and vehicle pack 1 on android. Trying to setup URP with some basic effects. is it even possible to use these assets with URP ? coz my game just became unplayable after doing it. To slow.

24. marincastefan

marincastefan

A URP update for Toon City will roll out early next week. At the moment, it's compatible with the LWRP (URP precursor) and it behaved just as fast, if not better than in the standard pipeline.
    I will do some tests before submitting the pack, but judging from other packs in the Toon Series, the URP update improves performance, not the other way around.

For the Complete Vehicle Packs, I won't be supporting URP, in fact I will probably deprecate them starting next year. But it should be easy to update them manually.

From what I read about URP, if the settings are done right, the performance has to increase over the standard pipeline. If I discover something different during the update process, I'll let you know.

25. Flawless83

Flawless83

Understand the upgrade will be alot of work a new version modular with new buildings to build would be awesome then you have 2 versions but whatever you do will you add a few surburban houses to toon city. And if you have 2 packs for toon city then people can choose to go modular or go with finished buildings.

26. unity_qfV-6Crgov8BQw

unity_qfV-6Crgov8BQw

hello i was wondering if your toon city people were riggable

27. marincastefan

marincastefan

Hello,

The characters are rigged already, set up for Mecanim.

28. Konyak

Konyak

Except for the sun, there is no shadow cast by any other light source is visible on objects that use the Toon shader.
    What am I spoiling?

29. marincastefan

marincastefan

The Toon Shader only supports (from what I can tell) casting shadows from directional lights.
    I'm working on an improved version of the Toon Shader that would ideally be launched along with the next pack in the coming weeks, which should also support the multiple shadow sources hopefully.

30. Konyak

Konyak

Thanks for the quick response!

31. Flawless83

Flawless83

How are harbour doing? Any release date yet.

32. marincastefan

marincastefan

No hard release date yet, but I'm getting closer to finishing with the asset creation. I would hazard to say about 10 days, but there will probably be some delay, because I want to update all other assets as soon as possible, in anticipation of the winter sale this year.

33. First_Citizen

First_Citizen

Maybe some Harbor teaser images (work in progress even) for those of us that already purchased most of the other packs? To help us be more patient while you get ready for the Winter Sale! :)

34. marincastefan

marincastefan

Some screenshots coming up on Monday ;)

35. marincastefan

marincastefan

It's a mess in the scene still, but here are some screenshots.
    screen_1920x1080_2020-10-20_04-22-14.png screen_1920x1080_2020-10-20_04-22-46.png screen_1920x1080_2020-10-20_04-24-57.png screen_1920x1080_2020-10-20_04-25-51.png screen_1920x1080_2020-10-20_04-27-53.png

First_Citizen likes this.
  36. First_Citizen

First_Citizen

Looks pretty cool, thanks for sharing! Like the industrial look. Is that a new water shader?

37. marincastefan

marincastefan

It's the same water shader from the Toon Nature pack. I will try some different options before launch, maybe I can come up with something better looking.

38. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

Hello, what physic engine you recomend for toon racing pack?

39. marincastefan

marincastefan

40. rewagames

rewagames

Any update on this ?

41. marincastefan

marincastefan

The update is waiting approval. It usualy takes around two business days before it's accepted.
    However, if you're pressed for time, you can contact me at sics.production@gmail.com with your invoice number and I can send you an updated version of the pack.

In testing, I saw the following:

2018.4 LTS, SRP as a base version.

2019.3, URP: 10 fps increase on average, regardless of the build platform.

2020.1, SRP & URP 15-20 fps increase on average, regardless of the platform. In some smaller scenes, there was over 100 fps increase.

42. phraxjams

phraxjams

Hi,

I used Plane + Environment + People asset and made this Awesome Game

Thanks for great assets - 5 stars!

Attached Files:

DrOcto likes this.
  43. Flawless83

Flawless83

hows everything going, all ready for winter sale, will harbour be out this month?

44. marincastefan

marincastefan

Everything's going well, thanks. Most packs have been updated to be compatible with URP, some of them are already out (Toon City & Toon Racing).
    I also switched to some custom toon shaders that look identical in URP as well as SRP
    The other pack updates should be out during next week.
    And Toon Harbor should be out this month, yes.

DrOcto likes this.
  45. BorjaFAC90

BorjaFAC90

Hi! I was thinking on buying the toon vehicles pack, since I just want the cars inside my already built racing game. Is it supporting URP already? Or will it be? And if not, what would be the process to make the shaders/materials work? (I think you said it should be easy :p)

Thanks!

46. marincastefan

marincastefan

The process is actually easy for version 1.3, but the latest version (1.4) of the package (which should be live any minute/day now) doesn't require anything, just to open the installer from the pack's main folder.
    This replaces the SRP shaders with URP shaders and no other actions (like upgrading materials or renderer setting) are required.

In case you buy it before version 1.4 comes out, reach via email at:
    sics.production@gmail.com
    along with the invoice and I'll send over the new version.

47. rohitpradeep

rohitpradeep

Hi...
    I love your asset's style... had already bought the city people earlier, and am considering buying the toon vehicles pack.
    However, I did not see any two-wheelers in the images of the asset.
    Would you consider updating this pack with some bikes, scooters, cycles etc ? It would really help me and other possible buyers knowing that you have plans on updating with new contents...
    Look forward to your reply...
    Cheers

48. marincastefan

marincastefan

HI!
    Thanks for being a customer :)
    There will be content updates for Toon Vehicles (interiors and a couple more vehicles), but probably no bikes for the foreseeable future.
    I think there is enough content on two wheels to warrant another pack alltogether.

49. rohitpradeep

rohitpradeep

Thanks for the reply. :)
    interiors for vehicles would be amazing.. .also does the vehicles currently have doors that can be opened ?

50. marincastefan

marincastefan

At the moment no. Only Toon Desert has vehicles with interiors. Those vehicles are a good example of what the interiors will look like.

rohitpradeep likes this.