Search Unity

Toon Series [growing content; stylized 3D art]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by marincastefan, Apr 6, 2017.

?

What would you like to see added in the Toon Series?

Poll closed May 28, 2020.
  1. Trains, railroads and related

20 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Construction vehicles and tools, construction yard

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. Ships and shipyard

17 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. industrial town or district

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. Space station with rocket platform

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  6. Oil platform, drills and derricks

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  7. Nature props, mountains, cabins,

21 vote(s)
    30.9%
  8. Desert environment, solar panels, tropical vegetation

24 vote(s)
    35.3%
  9. Racing kit + cars (F1 style, monster trucks, rally cars)

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  10. Interior pack (different rooms and sizes, furniture, appliances, etc)

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flawless83

Flawless83

Nice, looking forward to se screenshots, see if i can buy it if i like it next month.

marincastefan likes this.
  2. marincastefan

marincastefan

Here are a few screenshots from the upcoming pack.
    There's a lot more that I haven't included in the images, because it's still a mess in the demo scene and these are the only areas that are assembled logically somewhat.

A few comments:
    The vehicles from the pack now have interiors (and a "mobile" version without interior) with functioning steering wheel and gear lever, opening doors and detachable windows and adjustable seats.
    Also, they now have lights, blinkers and ray effects.
    I guess from now on, all vehicles that I'll include in packs will come in 2 variants, with and without interiors.

The terrain will be composed of geometry pieces, instead of the classic Unity terrain. I'll still include some terrain textures to be used with the terrain system, but this way, the terrain generated can be more impressive visually, with more interesting shapes.

Similar to the vehicles, all buildings will have light effects to simulate interior lighting (where applicable).
    Also, where possible, I've included modular pieces from the buildings that I've created.

screen_1280x720_2020-05-01_17-49-22.png screen_1280x720_2020-05-01_17-49-58.png screen_1280x720_2020-05-01_17-50-17.png screen_1280x720_2020-05-01_17-50-54.png screen_1280x720_2020-05-01_17-54-53.png

CoyoteFringe and First_Citizen like this.
  3. Flawless83

Flawless83

Wow, looks amazing, when do you think it be avaliable in store and what price will it be at?

4. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks!

I think I'll finish it before May 15th, the rest depends on the Asset Store team. Price will be around $35-37.

5. First_Citizen

First_Citizen

Desert Pack looks great.

Will the pack include a couple of characters?

Update to the vehicles for light effects and interiors/opening doors sounds interesting. Will you update Toon Vehicles with the same treatment (at least the exterior light effects) in the future?

6. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks!

Yeah, some characters will be included in the pack, along with some customization options.

I will update Toon Vehicles with the exterior light efects soon, either after the launch of this pack, or after the next one.
    I will make a Toon Vehicles Pro version, which will include interiors, later this year. It will be pricier, but customers who also bought Toon Vehicles will have an option to upgrade.

First_Citizen likes this.
  7. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Is Unity 2019.3 UniversalRenderPipeline supported yet?

8. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Is new pack submitted yet?

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  9. marincastefan

marincastefan

It will be in a few hours, just finishing the youtube trailer.
    And yes, URP will be supported from now on, instead of LWRP.
    Toon Desert will be the first one to support it.

Source_0016_screen_2048x1152_2020-05-21_03-15-56.png.png Source_0018_screen_2048x1152_2020-05-21_04-55-58.png.png Source_0019_screen_2048x1152_2020-05-21_05-10-23.png.png Source_0041_screen_2048x1152_2020-05-21_19-00-54.png.png

CoyoteFringe and pushingpandas like this.
  10. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

I see humans!! Are they included????? :D :D

11. marincastefan

marincastefan

Yes :)

CoyoteFringe likes this.
  12. CoyoteFringe

CoyoteFringe

13. marincastefan

marincastefan

Yeah, animated and all :)

CoyoteFringe and pushingpandas like this.
  14. Flawless83

Flawless83

the people from the pics look good, looked better now then what it did on the first pic of humans u posted long ago, they fit the scene treally well actually.

CoyoteFringe and marincastefan like this.
  15. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks!

16. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

When its out? I wanna buy!!!

CoyoteFringe likes this.
  17. CoyoteFringe

CoyoteFringe

Ooooohh!! :D

18. marincastefan

marincastefan

It's not up to me, but usually it takes about 2 weeks for new packs to be approved.
    So hopefully by mid June :)

19. Flawless83

Flawless83

mid june is fine, think im gonna get it then, but what are plans for next package harbor, military or surburban houses?

20. marincastefan

marincastefan

I already started work on Toon Harbor, I'm still in the shader and concept phase though. I think Toon City People will come first, since that pack would take a lot less time to complete.

21. Flawless83

Flawless83

when do you think we will get suburban houses, thats really needed in my opinion, other than that all looks good, also harbour will be a nice adition to my city

22. marincastefan

marincastefan

I want to say about 2 months, maybe 3, because I want to add interiors to it, and that might be a bit more time consuming. I'll post some polls and if I see more demand for it that Toon Harbor let's say, then I might switch to that first.
    But Toon City People will come first, hopefully in less than a month.

23. Flawless83

Flawless83

Cool and thanx for all the great assets you made they look beatiful, keep it up, love you work.

24. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks for the kind words!
    Motivates me to work harder :)

25. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

HABOR!!!!!!

26. First_Citizen

First_Citizen

2 votes! I need more industrial locations for my train game. :)

27. BlackManatee

BlackManatee

I'm *super* impressed with your Toon City package (just posted a 5-star review, in fact!) -- but I have a few questions about lighting and optimization:

• 1) Lightmapping: I had tried to bake some lightmaps using one of the simpler TC scenes (Update Demo Scene #1 ), but the resulting lightmaps are full of obvious errors. I tried re-importing all of the models with "Generate Lightmap UV's" turned on, but oddly enough, the results were even worse.
    • 2) Batching: I'm puzzled by the apparent lack of a batching setup in the demo scenes. I'm using URP / LWRP to target mobile platforms, so frame rate is a huge concern. Could you please explain how the scenes are optimized? Ordinarily, I might have set most of the high-use prefabs to be "Static," or enabled GPU instancing. But I don't see those enabled in the demo scene. I also might have combined many of the tiny materials into one big material/texture, e.g. 16 of the 64x64 maps could be consolidated into a single 256x256 map.
    • 3) Tiny Objects, Untiled Materials: For things like sidewalks and grass, I would have used larger objects with tiling textures (for roads, for example) rather than putting down tons of tiny objects. I've seen a similar approach with several other city packages, and I'm genuinely puzzled about things like use of 100 small individual cubes rather than a single 10x10 plane with UV tiling.
    I'd like to improve the frame rate if possible, but I don't want to make things worse! If your approach improves frame rates / batching / etc somehow, could you please explain? Thanks!

28. marincastefan

marincastefan

I'm currently searching for a freelancer to help with the custom shaders for the harbor pack. Once that part is done, the pack shouldn't take longer than previously expected. Still about 2-3 months, hopefully sooner.

29. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks for the purchase and the review!

Regarding your questions, I'll have to postpone a definitive answer a bit, when I last studied improving the framerate, I think I was still using Unity 5.x. Demo scenes worked smoothly on lower end devices from a few years back and I didn't bother keeping up to date on the developments.

Lightmapping worked fine then, but something might have changed on my end during an update.
    On batching, I will update Toon City during July, after which the whole pack will use just 2 or 3 textures, similar to the most recent packs in the Toon Series.

I'll probably add a few alternatives models like 12x road piece or 12x12 square terrain piece.

I'll get back to you once I read up on performance tips for URP pipeline. Also, could you provide some numbers regarding framerate and devices used? It would be useful to know how much has changed from the devices I've used for testing a couple of years ago.

And if you have some suggestions on things or fixes for the July update, please let me know.
    As things stand, I'll add a few more assets, some characters, tiled textures and base mesh for custom road building.

30. marincastefan

marincastefan

31. Flawless83

Flawless83

yeah harbor would be nice and suburban houses (lol me and thoose houses), but when you make another city package maybe some stadiums and landmarks. when you made a harbour (and suburban houses) you pretty much have all you need for a whole city and would you consider making a snow asset like you have made a dessert now?

many options you can do also will you make a military pack again, what are you plans now for the next packages, looked at you dessert package, gonna buy it in a few days looks good.

and aout textures, do you plan to convert all the small texture you have into 1 big one for the packages you have? cause if im not mistaken all textures take 1 drawcall so instead of having 20 small if you use all for 20 draw call you get 1 big texture for 1 drawcall.

32. marincastefan

marincastefan

Right now I'm in the final stages of character modeling for Toon City People, (some Mixamo animations from Asset Store). I still need to add another body type for women.

Next up will be Toon Harbor, then Toon Town (or Toon Suburbs, still undecided on the title).
    After that, I'll probably roll out some content updates for existing packs, which will include many of the suggestions from this thread, including atlased textures.

For the end of the year, I have some ideas, like a Toon Farm pack, Toon Military, Toon City Pro maybe.
    After that, it might be too early to say, but I'd go either in the future or the past with the environments.

First_Citizen and VermilionGames like this.
  33. Flawless83

Flawless83

hi, how are your work going are you done with the toon people and started a new toon asset?

34. marincastefan

marincastefan

Hi!
    I'm almost done with the Toon People pack, just a couple of days for testing and promo assets.
    For Toon Harbor I have some outside help with the shaders and they're turning out very nicely. So in a way, work has already started on Toon Harbor.

First_Citizen and VermilionGames like this.
  35. Flawless83

Flawless83

that sounds great, do you have any idea how long toon harbour will take to make?

36. marincastefan

marincastefan

It should be about a month and a half, but I also have my wedding planned for early next month, which will probably push things a bit later.

37. Flawless83

Flawless83

Congratulasion on getting married, and sounds nice for the toon harbour, probably come out in september then.

38. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks! :)

Yeah, early September looks pretty realistic.

39. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Toon City Pro? Whats the difference? Maybe Interiors????!!!!!!

40. marincastefan

marincastefan

Interiors for sure, more characters (toon city will get only a couple in the next update).
    And modular buildings too :)

41. Hydrotoker

Hydrotoker

Hi, is there any way to make the track piece's more seamless?

42. marincastefan

marincastefan

Yes, the easiest way is to change the material on the track pieces from Toon Lit Outline, to Toon Lit.
    There is some extra geometry on the track pieces that isn't really needed, which causes those artifacts to appear. I will take care of it in the next update, but until then, the solution above works well enough.

43. marincastefan

marincastefan

Here's a short video with some characters from the upcoming Toon City People.
    The pack is ready, just the waiting time till it's approved by the Asset Store Team.

Besides the numerous customization options, I've managed to add some cool features, like fatness shape keys, easily controlled by a script, and some item swapping scripts, to generate prefab variations easier.

44. Flawless83

Flawless83

Nice. What will it cost and how many characters are there? Are they animated? Hows the work on harbour going?

45. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks!
    $23
    No animations included, just an idle animation and some poses that were used in the screenshots and trailer.
    I might add some in an update if there's enough demand, but with Mixamo available, I doubt it.
    There are a total of 12 female bases and 11 male bases, each one with various clothing colors and skin tones, along with a collection of faces, accessories and props.

I've recently started on the Harbor assets, things are moving along nicely. Once I assemble some assets together, I'll post some screenshots here.

46. Hydrotoker

Hydrotoker

Many thanks sir, they are still visible but nowhere near as jarring. Any chance of some more track piece's? I'm happy with the one's you've included but maybe if the special piece's were mirrored, which I don't think I can do in the unity editor unless I'm missing something. Anyways great work, keep it up. :)

47. marincastefan

marincastefan

No problem.
    Sure, I'll add the mirroring track pieces to the list of things that will be added in the content update.

Hydrotoker likes this.
  48. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi ! Considering purchase; i was wondering if the 'outline' effect and AO was baked into the texture and if there was a way to see it more 'flat'; can you share an example with bare/unlit texture ? thanks !

49. marincastefan

marincastefan

Hi!
    Not sure what package you are considering for purchase, but I'll attach some screenshots.
    The outline effect is coming from the shader (in URP is coming from a renderer property), so that's easily replaceable. The AO is just a post processing effect, the models themselves are using just some gradient textures.

For comparison:

Toon Outline shader + Lighting (1 directional light) + Post Processing
    screen_1280x720_2020-08-04_15-33-16.png

Mobile Diffuse shader + Lighting (1 directional light)
    screen_1280x720_2020-08-04_15-35-39.png

Mobile Diffuse shader, NO Lighting
    screen_1280x720_2020-08-04_15-47-58.png

50. Flawless83

Flawless83

try to set scale of X or Z to -1 it then gets reversed, see if that works.

Edit: I did some testing and it do work, so can atleast use it as proto testing til it gets added to package

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Hydrotoker and marincastefan like this.