Search Unity

Toon Series [growing content; stylized 3D art]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by marincastefan, Apr 6, 2017.

?

What would you like to see added in the Toon Series?

Poll closed May 28, 2020.
  1. Trains, railroads and related

20 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Construction vehicles and tools, construction yard

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. Ships and shipyard

17 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. industrial town or district

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. Space station with rocket platform

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  6. Oil platform, drills and derricks

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  7. Nature props, mountains, cabins,

21 vote(s)
    30.9%
  8. Desert environment, solar panels, tropical vegetation

24 vote(s)
    35.3%
  9. Racing kit + cars (F1 style, monster trucks, rally cars)

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  10. Interior pack (different rooms and sizes, furniture, appliances, etc)

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. marincastefan

marincastefan

Hi, Toon Nature is almost done, I'm just wrapping up the demo scene as we speak, so just the promo assets left to do. I'll probably submit the pack for approval this week. I'll have some screenshots at the end of this post. (WIP textures, so be gentle :D )

I can't say for sure when it will be released, that depends on the Asset Store team as well, but I'm pretty confident it will be available in a week or two.

A monument/landmark pack would be a cool idea, I'll think of a way to make it happen. Either as add-ons to existing packs, or as a stand-alone.

For the whole Toon Series, the approach is to minimize texture size and use the gradient-style texturing. If there's a situation where I can't apply that process, then I will supply larger and more detailed textures, but so far I've been able to do things that way. Also, with Toon Nature, I've started to combine all textures into one atlas, so the whole pack will use just a couple of materials.

There will be some 3d model mountains. I haven't added snow to the pack, maybe in a future update if it sells well. I'm still brainstorming regarding the desert environment, as I want to turn that into a stand-alone pack.

The EXPLORER pack would probably work with the Toon Series, but you'd have to know your way around modding shaders, in order to make everything blend together nicely. Personally, I wouldn't mix the two together, especially now that Toon Nature is about to be released, which will provide some much needed rock and vegetation variation to the series.

One of the next packs will be Toon People, which will further differentiate the character styles between the Toon and EXPLORER series, so another reason not to mix the two.
    screen_1280x720_2020-02-12_16-36-39.png screen_1280x720_2020-02-12_16-37-57.png screen_1280x720_2020-02-12_16-39-09.png screen_1280x720_2020-02-12_16-39-44.png screen_1280x720_2020-02-12_16-40-01.png

pushingpandas and First_Citizen like this.
  2. Flawless83

Flawless83

But with textures i ment terain textures so you can use for mountain gras beach and all that, and to do a stand alone pack of dessert would be cool, i just wait til toon nature is released then.

marincastefan likes this.
  3. First_Citizen

First_Citizen

Looking forward to Toon Nature! Looks great based on the preview images. :)

Toon People is in the works?! That would be awesome (I am using a toon people pack which I like, but have tons of issues with the shaders and lighting between the asset packs).

One other thing I would love to see...modular Toon City buildings! What I mean is take the buildings from Toon City and break them apart so you have a ground floor/entrance, individual floors, some transition floors (for example the inset blue floors on skyscraper 1a), and a couple of top floor variations. It would be awesome to be able to make 100 floor skyscrapers or 6 story brownstones for more variation in my projects. This could be a future new pack or an update to Toon City?

4. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hello do you have a example or wip of the toon people? Please include jobs like police, fireman, and other job people fitting to your awesome city and factory asset.

5. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks!

Toon People is not yet in development, I'm still in the research phase at the moment. I'm still deciding on the rigging/skinning process and if and how to tackle animations.

Modular buildings has been on my mind for quite some time and I'll have to make a pack sooner rather than later. I'd like that pack to have swap-able interiors too, and to make it as a template for all future packs going forward. That would be quite an undertaking though, and I don't want to commit to a deadline just yet :)

6. marincastefan

marincastefan

I haven't started development yet on Toon People, still in the research phase, but as soon as I have something, I'll post here.
    Policeman, fireman, all the jobs you would expect would be included. :)

7. GunFister

GunFister

Hello! I'm working with Toon City (AWESOME, by the way!) and I'm trying to make some one-off building textures & materials to add variety to my layout. Unfortunately I'm struggling with the PSD files - when I open any of the texture files, every layer appears solid white (no color what so ever). I'm afraid I'm not a technically adept artist, so I'm at a loss as to what could be the issue. I've tried opening the files in several different art programs (Gimp, etc.) and the result is the same - each layer is solid white. Note - the image files work perfectly in Unity, but I'm at a loss as to making additional textures and materials. Any help would be awesome!

BTW - it's a damn shame you lost several of your Toon Military files. When I first heard you were doing a Military asset pack, the first thing that came to mind was that you look at PolygonBlacksmith Toon Soldiers, etc. and coordinate your assets to his characters.

8. marincastefan

marincastefan

Glad you like the assets!
    The PSD files are Photoshop native, so probably that's why they don't work in Gimp. But if you know your way in Gimp, you'll probably be able to learn the process for Photoshop in a few minutes. There's a 7 day trial option if you don't want to pay for a subscription.

For future updates I'll consider solutions to these issues, maybe adding more than one format for textures.

And yeah, the loss of the files still hurts a bit...
    But, when it will finally launch, it will probably have it's own toon soldiers included.
    I thought about the issue and I think I'm going to take a leaf out of Synty Studios's book, which is to have some characters included in each package.

So after Toon Nature launches, all future packs from the Toon Series will probably have characters included.
    For the existing packages, I'll add some characters in content updates. (low frequency updates, because characters take quite a bit of time).

Cheers!

9. Flawless83

Flawless83

please give us some more pictures of the toon nature when u submit it to store and do you have an idea when u will submit it, also roads for diferent packages have you consider add som roads that are 45 and 22.5 degress or add som fancy roads like you have in the race package, so it get some more variations?

10. marincastefan

marincastefan

Here are some screenshots :)

The pack is ready, the Asset Store team is out of office till tomorrow so it will probably take a few more days till it's live.

Source_0005_screen_2048x1152_2020-02-17_19-06-55.png.png Source_0012_screen_2048x1152_2020-02-17_20-46-55.png.png Source_0013_screen_2048x1152_2020-02-17_21-14-24.png.png Source_0018_screen_2048x1152_2020-02-17_22-57-39.png.png Source_0019_screen_2048x1152_2020-02-18_00-00-49.png.png

First_Citizen and Acissathar like this.
  11. Flawless83

Flawless83

that looks great, have u added textures to use for mountais, and what price will it be at?

and about the roads in my previous post is that some u consider at all or not at this point or not at all.

12. marincastefan

marincastefan

The mountains use the same texture as all the other models in the scene.
    If you use a painting tool when building the scene, then you can add more detail to it than had originally, but otherwise, the main purpose is to provide some quick background options.
    The price will be $36.

I've searched for previous post from you about roads and only found those regarding the track in Toon Racer, which have been updated since.
    Would you mind writing again what the issue is?
    Thanks!

13. Flawless83

Flawless83

not an issue that need fixing but a sugestion, cause with curent roads all the road network gets really squared so if you consider making more roads turn with 45 and 22.5 degre angle and just not 90 degree, or maybe make some of the roads in toon city like some you have in toon racer, with some more turns and shapes, would really help the city look better, and bridges have you planned some for that.

and the skybox you have in the picture in toon nature is that part of the pack, it looks good, the whole package looks nice aswell?

14. marincastefan

marincastefan

Ah, I missed that.

It's funny because I've just received a review for Toon City that was unhappy because the roads were not regular enough :))
    I think in the next update I might be able to squeeze a few variations of roads, like those you mentioned.

The skybox in Toon Nature is a procedural one and included in the package, yes.
    The clouds are geometry and also included.

15. Flawless83

Flawless83

I think i now what the rewiever means and how to ad a fix for it, some roads when you built big you cant find a piece that fits without overlaping roads when u try to combine 2 diferent roads you built cause they to long, only happens very few places but a fix to it i think would be if each road type had a road that was 1 float long, that way u can always extend the road by 1 float up to how many u need to make it fit without overlapping.

Would be great if it was compatible with easy roads thou cause then you could use models for the city center, and whenever you needed a different shape you just used easy roads, but that would require a texture thats not like the ones you have now and would also need to fit seemlesly so probably some work to make the textures, textures in easy roads look like, i post an example picture. Cause you can add to easy roads new prefabs so from a cross section or just a road you have in asset you can make them prefabs and start build out from them with the shape you want in easy roads, but there arnt textures for it in easy roads, so ofc it wont fit seemlesly.

Thats just an example texture but each road would need an extra texture like this just in your toon style, would be some work but if you in the future would consider it, let us now, would be great, and gonna get your toon nature next month, looks awesome, like all the others do, just need toon nature and planes to collect them all.

keep up the good work.

Attached Files:

16. marincastefan

marincastefan

Interesting

I think I'll pick up easy roads and experiment a little, maybe I can come up with something for a future update.

17. Flawless83

Flawless83

now that you released toon nature, what is the new package you gonna be working on? im really excited what other things you can get out in the toon series, hoping for harbour anad the military pack.

18. marincastefan

marincastefan

For the past few days I've been experimenting with characters for the series and I hope to land on a style soon (nothing to show yet though).
    After that, I'll start the next package. The next one will be either harbour or desert, those are the most voted options in the poll.
    As for what the future holds for the series, I'm excited too. I've recently finished a monster of a freelance project and now I can focus 100% of my efforts on this endeavor, so expect a new pack every month or two :)

19. First_Citizen

First_Citizen

At least 12 times this week I have searched for Toon Nature on the asset store...looking forward to Unity releasing it for sale that much. :)

Also can't wait to see what you come up with for the characters.

20. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks for the support! It's really awesome :))

The official name will be Toon Nature Assets, since I found out only when trying to submit that the name was already taken. Rookie mistake, but I learned my lesson.

21. Flawless83

Flawless83

read that u were doing some content update for old packages, what are the updates involving? for toon city some more suburban houses would be really nice to have.

22. marincastefan

marincastefan

The most probable additions will be some characters to each package. For Toon City (being my favorite pack to add content to), I'll probably add more buildings in addition to the characters.

I'll update the poll at the beginning of the thread with new options and judge by the results, but I think a suburban pack could be a separate pack altogether.

23. Flawless83

Flawless83

yeah a surburban pack could be a standalone one but make it happen :) i would buy it

24. marincastefan

marincastefan

screen_2048x1152_2020-03-07_14-47-35.png I've been playing around with characters and ways to customize them and I think I'm getting close to a final system.
    These particular examples will be integrated in the upcoming Toon Desert pack.

The customization options will consist of inter-changing:
    - heads
    - hairstyles
    - other head related accessories (glasses, helmets, jewelry, etc)
    - bodies
    - body accessories (watches, backpacks, etc)

There will also be skin tone variations.

I'm still on the fence if animations will be included.

Feedback is appreciated :)
    screen_2048x1152_2020-03-07_15-13-53.png

First_Citizen and Acissathar like this.
  25. Flawless83

Flawless83

they seem a litle to cartoonish for me, dont now how they fit your other asset style. looks like a comic book. if im gonna use character i prob just go with toon people, they looks like they will fit. i dont mean to be rude but i didnt like them much.

the toon desert have you started it, any screenshot, what will it include, any surburban houses on the horizon yet?

when is toon nature up in asset store, checked your page alot with all your assets but its not up yet?

26. marincastefan

marincastefan

Not rude at all, don't worry :)
    The characters will be included pretty well in the pricing of the assets, so if you plan on using only the environment without the characters, the price will still be copetitive.

As soon as I have something to show for Toon Desert, I'll post some screenshots here.

Toon Nature does seem to take a while to get approved, maybe the asset store team had a lot of submissions waiting for them after the break.

27. Flawless83

Flawless83

cant you make a standalone pack for the characters, would be easier for customers to choose what they want and not want?

also a few suburban houses so you can make a nice neighbourhood on the country would be nice, i think thats kinda the thing thats missing to make it really good. hard to make a nice neighbourhood at the moment.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  28. marincastefan

marincastefan

At least one standalone pack of characters will come this year, but every environment pack will have characters too from now on.
    And a suburban pack will be one of the next few packs.

29. First_Citizen

First_Citizen

I like the characters & they look good on the motorcycles, but like the other poster, Flawless, mentioned I am unsure how they fit with the other Toon series assets. Maybe one or two sample images of the characters in the Toon city demo scenes?

I had tried using Toon People & Teens, had so much trouble getting the shaders/lighting working well between the two styles I gave up. Ended up a WIN as I discovered Polygon Blacksmiths Toony Tiny Citizens, the style on those fit perfectly with the first game I am making (very cartoony themed).

If you do not include animations will the characters be fully mecanim ready? Maybe not to the finger level, at least the basics.

What is your timeline for a harbor or trains pack (or a combined harbor/rail industrial megapack!)? Would that one come after the desert pack?

30. marincastefan

marincastefan

That's a great idea, when testing out the models I placed them in most of the packs to see how they integrate, but I didn't think of posting some screenshots...
    I'll post some soon.

Yeah, Polygon Blacksmith has some cool stuff on the publisher page.

Yeah, that's why I'm not sure if animations are necessary, since the characters will be using mecanim/humanoid. Maybe some walk/idle animations for promo materials.

I'm doing the Desert pack first because it's a bit simpler for me right now. For the Harbor pack I want to develop a couple of shaders for water and other substances. And some URP experimenting, because it seems Unity is pushing hard for it for the future.
    Regarding trains, Toon Industries has a railroad building kit and quite a few trains ;)

CoyoteFringe likes this.
  31. marincastefan

marincastefan

And here are some screenshots. :)
    Maybe I'm biased, but it looks like they blend quite nicely together. (Though, being my own work that I judge, of course I'm going to say it blends nicely, lol)
    screen_1920x1080_2020-03-08_21-01-07.png screen_1920x1080_2020-03-08_20-40-29.png screen_1920x1080_2020-03-08_20-44-18.png

If, for whatever reason, there are some assets that just don't work with the characters, I'll either edit the assets in question, or provide an alternate version of it.

First_Citizen likes this.
  32. First_Citizen

First_Citizen

Yeah the characters do blend well. It is much easier to see that when they are in a screen shot with the buildings and other assets.

33. First_Citizen

First_Citizen

I have Toon Industries. For my second project (which is an early prototype I only spend a couple hours a week on until my first game is finished :) ) I have been using Train Controller/Ultimate Collection. The tracks generated by that asset are US standard gauge and are maybe 5% narrower than the ones in Toon Industry (tried lining the TC tracks up with the grade crossing in Toon Industry and it was off by a bit). Turbo Squid has many US gauge models available that work with the train controller.

Would love to see some of those (US) types of engines and rolling stock in Toon Series style since I am using the city and industry structures for the towns.

34. Flawless83

Flawless83

but you seem to be a litle slow, On your old packages,i did rreported so

35. marincastefan

marincastefan

I didn't plan on the rail system to be used with other standardized assets, but in hindsight I should have.

I'll see if I can tweak the sizes in the next update without too much hassle, but that update will probably only come out in the summer, or later.

36. marincastefan

marincastefan

I didn't quite understand that. Sorry, English isn't my native language. :)

37. Flawless83

Flawless83

the excavator in toon indusyties have their pivot point wrongly placed so when a driving script is added they drive the wrong way, i cant figure out to fix it, wa reported long ago

38. marincastefan

marincastefan

I've checked the excavators and all the components have their rotations set to 0 (where required) and pivot points at logical positions.
    If you're referring to the backwards orientations, that's the way they're used on construction sites. They're less used for driving on the street, hence the orientation.

39. marincastefan

marincastefan

pushingpandas and CoyoteFringe like this.
  40. Flawless83

Flawless83

cool i check it out in a few days, looks awesome.

How will that water shader work for mobile?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  41. marincastefan

marincastefan

I haven't tested it yet, but shouldn't pose any problems.

CoyoteFringe likes this.
  42. Flawless83

Flawless83

what are you working on now? i was thinking of what if you made a standalone pack that was modular buildings, reason for standalone is because adding modular to your other package will maybe not make them as easy to use as they are now. Like if u added modular to toon city would totaly change the pack as its now, and it is a good pack as it is now.

So i was thinking if you would consider making a standalone package that was modular buildings(call it Toon Modular or something) that would fit with all your other styles. It would add a lot more options for people that want that or for the ones that just wanna place prefabs can stick to other packages that are not modular.

Would give alot more options for people, just wanted to share the idea.

43. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hello, any news on the people pack? I really need them :D

44. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

I think I would not include animation. It just make the release time later and most of us need special animation anyways due the types of games.

45. marincastefan

marincastefan

Right now I'm working on completing the Toon Desert pack, which should be ready in about 2-3 weeks.
    Next up should be Toon Harbor and Toon Suburbs, where I can start implementing the modular structure and interior content, along with characters. Maybe a Toon Farm pack, if I see demand for it.
    Then, Toon City Pro (working title) should be next, so maybe in the second half of the year.
    Pretty much all you said above should be included, along with interiors, characters and a lot of extra content that would bring a toon city closer to a real one, more branded shops and restaurants, suspended rail system or subways.
    This should make the pack more expensive than the rest of the series, but I'm thinking of making an upgrade option for those who have already purchased the regular Toon City.

Also, what do you think about using Discord for this type of discussions? If you use it with other asset store publishers, let me know how's the experience.

CoyoteFringe likes this.
  46. marincastefan

marincastefan

I don't want to give a solid deadline for the toon people pack, but something like a month or two. At this point it also depends on how crazy things get in my city, right now I'm working on my home laptop because self isolation is almost mandatory, which slows my productivity a lot.

47. Flawless83

Flawless83

i guess a discord would be great, can ask questions and chat live aswell so i think that could be cool for the ones wanna use it or the ones who dont just use forum

48. drahen

drahen

Please please an upgrade version for those who already purchased :)

49. Flawless83

Flawless83

yeah upgraded version would be good for the ones already have toon city, but how is the dessert pack going, any pictures?

50. marincastefan

marincastefan

Toon Desert is going very well, I'm building the demo scenes right now, after which, promo assets and submission.
    I'll post some screenshots tomorrow :)