Search Unity

Tooltips?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Tiles, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Tiles

Tiles

In short: How is it meant to implement Tooltips ? Is this even implemented? Or do we need to develop our own solution here?

2. runevision

runevision

The UI system doesn't come with anything built-in for tooltips. You can do it yourself with a few simple scripts and setup:
    • Create a Tooltip script with simply a text string in it, that you put on every control that should have a tooltip.
    • Create a script that checks each frame what's underneath the cursor (using the EventSystem). Query the Tooltip component of that object and if present get the text string value from it.
    • Update the visibility and text of a tooltip object in the UI accordingly (possibly the position too if it should follow the cursor). The UI object should be the last child under the Canvas to ensure it's rendered last.

Xaurrien, rakkarage and GregMeach like this.
  3. Tiles

Tiles

4. Tiles

Tiles

I struggle with some problems here. It works. But it does not work very well.

Even with lateUpdate there is a massive lag behind the mouse position.
    And i search for a way to impement a timer lag before the popup appears.

Means i am at the same situation now as with the old GUI before here. You CAN do everything by yourself. But it's a bad out of the box experience. A experience that every user needs to repeat again now. And the lag behind the mouse position just yells for a inbuild solution that does not lag this horribly behind the mouse position.

May i request a inbuild solution? :)

rakkarage likes this.
  5. Sander1991

Sander1991

I have created a video how to do a tooltip in an inventory system:

Maybe you have to watch the other videos aswell...Check them out.

kenshin and rakkarage like this.
  6. Tiles

Tiles

Your solution looks a bit complicated, sorry. Nevertheless thanks for the video. Surely useful for some :)

It's not that i don't know how to do it. I am just not this happy that i have to do it by myself. Tooltips is a standard behaviour of a UI. And the mouse lag issue is something that may be fixable with a deeper level access than through LateUpdate.

I have two simple scripts at the moment. This one comes at the tooltip object
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. #pragma strict
    3. function LateUpdate () {
    5.     transform.position.x=Input.mousePosition.x;
    6.     transform.position.y=Input.mousePosition.y;
    8. }
    And this one comes at the button.

Code (JavaScript):
    1. var mystring: String="Save the created mesh as Obj file";
    2. var tooltip: GameObject;
    3. var tooltiptextfield:UI.Text;
    5. function pointerenter () {
    6.     tooltip.SetActive(true);
    7.     tooltiptextfield.text=mystring;
    8. }
    10. function pointerexit (){
    11.     tooltip.SetActive(false);
    12. }
    Now drag the objects into the slots. Tooltip is the whole tooltip object. Tooltiptext the attached text component. And add two event triggers to each button. PointerEnter and PointerExit. And then call the corresponding loops with the event triggers.

And finally adjust the text at each button. Gives a individual tooltip at each button.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  7. baustin27

baustin27

8. TroyDavis

TroyDavis

I'm hung up on the Tooltips as well. I have a solution that works rather well, it uses the EventSystems IPointerEnterHandler & IPointerExitHandler to detect when to display the Tooltip. I simply pass a string to the textbox inside my Tooltip Object. It even resizes perfectly now.

My issue is positioning the Tooltip. I tried using the localPosition of the RecTransform but it doesn't work reliably if the object triggering the Tooltip is a child in a list.

Basically I have a container Listing Skill Objects and while Triggering is perfect, positioning is off. I can run my pointer over every skill being dynamically listed and a different description is displayed but I just cant get the tool tip to position over them. I even tried using a Vector 2 and Vector3 using the Input.mousePosition.x and Input.mousePosition.y coords.

9. orb

orb

The Z coordinate is a pretty frickin' huge annoyance too. A tightly packed row of buttons with tooltips can be a problem because of the way depth-sorting works in the uGUI. I'd be fine with implementing them myself, since the actual display and object are easy, but the system needs a "frontmost" attribute.

baustin27 likes this.
  10. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

Working on something to solve this issue. My fingers have just started their work so its very early stages. I hope to have something soon.

Westland and orb like this.
  11. coombsanity

coombsanity

Any updates on this? We're getting some very odd bugs with 4.6 and wanted to see if there is more formal/supported execution for mouseover tooltips. We have a hacky solution but it has its problems.

12. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

So we don't have a native solution for tooltips. That being said you can create your own as a text component, you can then attach a canvas to them and override the sorting. This will allow you to place the the tooltip on top of everything while using the hierarchy for positioning.

Westland likes this.
  13. Tim_Warballoon

Tim_Warballoon

Thank you, that helps a good amount. Is there any consistent way to then attach said canvas to the mouse cursor? I've been doing somewhat of a similar solution and approximating based on screen width, but I haven't yet been able to find a consistent/proper way to link it to my mouse cursor location from there. Thanks for any help you can give.

coombsanity likes this.
  14. coombsanity

coombsanity

Same question as Tim_Warballoon.

15. Velo222

Velo222

No out of the box tooltip functionality for the new GUI? Ouch. I just started using it, and didn't even think about it until I read this thread.

Guess they forgot about it :rolleyes: Hopefully ways of doing a decent tooltip behavior will begin to surface after people get acquainted with the system. Or better yet, hopefully Unity devs add it into a future version of the GUI soon.

16. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

I'd have to sit down and figure out how to do it.

17. Tiles

Tiles

I personally ended in three little scripts and a somehow wicked object connection to solve the problem. A little timer to give some delay before the tooltip comes up, a script to set the tooltip component to the mouse when it is over a button. And the tooltip text that is attached at the buttons. The call for the tooltip gets called from the event trigger at the buttons then.

You can have a look at this project to see how the stuff is connected and set up in my solution. Just download the project file: http://www.reinerstilesets.de/programme/2014-cuhe/

Would be of course much more elegant when there would be a inbuild solution :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    Ewh and coombsanity like this.
  18. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

Oh there will be a built in solution, just not yet :)

konsnos and shkar-noori like this.
  19. Tiles

Tiles

That's great :)

20. coombsanity

coombsanity

Thanks for the answers! If anything it just makes us feel better - we thought the answer was obvious and we were just not executing it in the right way.

21. TroyDavis

TroyDavis

Any news on this yet I'm still having trouble implementing a Tooltip.

22. Breyer

Breyer

My idea for implementation: create GO with custom class Tooltip with UIBehaviour parent; then check every update if EventSystem.current.currentSelectedGameObject isnt null if isnt null then fire event and send selected GO; then check if view (i reference to MVC/MVVM approach) component derive from Tooltipable (?) interface if yes enable renderer on tooltip and call .RenderTooltip() function from view component. When selected GO become null again simply disable renderer on tooltip GO

Maybe worth a shot? pros: we need only one GO for all tooltip, this will be always on top beacuse we can put this GO as last in Canvas root and structure will be much simpler i think; cons: you have to design your structure under MVC/MVVM approach from beginning or you will have rough time for reorganizing everything...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  23. coombsanity

coombsanity

Was this fixed/addressed with the newest release?

24. drHogan

drHogan

I made a script that seems to work well for the tooltips (if you want i can share it), the only problem I have is to get the data from the object i have the pointer over without selecting it with a click first. Any hint about that?

25. Immanuel-Scholz

Immanuel-Scholz

Code is always welcome :).

Without the code you have, its hard to predict where the problem is, but just out of the blue: You did consider a PhysicRaycaster plus implementing IPointerEnterHandler on one of the objects components?

26. drHogan

drHogan

Hi Immanuel,

when i get home i can post the code for tooltip!

Actually nope, but if you saw my approach to the problem i described in the other post post, i made today
    ( http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/onpointerover-a-sad-tooltip-story.282472/ ), isn't there any quick way to access the object i am entering from there?

I mean, a similar approach (though there is without any flexibility on the dynamic text of the callback) to what one would to from the inspector by adding a pointerenter trigger?

27. coombsanity

coombsanity

Love to see the script!

28. drHogan

drHogan

here we go guys, a promise it's a promise. it probably need some polishing in code and optimization, but works perfectly at the moment

This is the variant for the screenoverlay version of the canvas (thanks to immanuel we also have the component that makes it appear).

Here's a short video of the script at work. The heroes faces are pseudorandomly generated, so the tooltip needs to gather the correct info each time different.

http://goo.gl/1GBg27

Tooltip is an item composed by a panel and a child text element.

This is where i create the tooltip
    Code (CSharp):
    2. //(in the init method of the tavern)
    4.       foreach(RectTransform elem in children){
    5.             //            Debug.Log(elem.tag);
    6.             if(elem.name=="HeroPanel"){
    7.                 heroPanel = elem.GetComponent<RectTransform>();
    8.                 heroPanelGUI = elem.GetComponent<HeroPanelGUI>();
    9.             }
    10.             if(elem.tag=="heroPortrait"){
    11.                 portraits.Add(elem.GetComponent<Image>());
    12.                 EventTrigger trig = elem.gameObject.GetComponent<EventTrigger>();
    13. //                AddEventTrigger(trig,OnPointerEnter,EventTriggerType.PointerEnter);
    14.                 AddPointerEnterTrigger(trig,OnPointerEnter,EventTriggerType.PointerEnter);
    15.                 AddEventTrigger(trig,OnPointerExit,EventTriggerType.PointerExit);
    16.                 AddEventTrigger(trig,OnPointerClick,EventTriggerType.PointerClick);
    17.             }else if(elem.tag=="tooltip"){
    18.                 ttp = elem.GetComponent<ToolTip>();
    19.             }
    20.         }
    22. //this is where Immanuel saved me
    23. private void AddPointerEnterTrigger(EventTrigger evTrig, UnityAction<BaseEventData> action, EventTriggerType triggerType){
    24.         // Create a nee TriggerEvent and add a listener
    25.         EventTrigger.TriggerEvent trigger = new EventTrigger.TriggerEvent();
    26.         AddEventTrigger(evTrig,d => OnPointerEnter(d, evTrig.gameObject),EventTriggerType.PointerEnter);
    27.         //        trigger.AddListener((eventData) => action(eventData)); // you can capture and pass the event data to the listener
    28.         // Create and initialise EventTrigger.Entry using the created TriggerEvent
    29.         EventTrigger.Entry entry = new EventTrigger.Entry() { callback = trigger, eventID = triggerType };
    30.         // Add the EventTrigger.Entry to delegates list on the EventTrigger
    31.         evTrig.delegates.Add(entry);
    32.     }
    34.     private void OnPointerEnter(BaseEventData dataObject, GameObject hovered){
    35.         if(hovered != null && hovered.GetComponent<HeroPortraitGUI>() != null){
    36.             ttp.SetTooltip(hovered.GetComponent<HeroPortraitGUI>().heroName);
    37.         }
    38.     }
    This is in the script attached to the tooltip object
    Code (CSharp):
    3. //text of the tooltip
    4.     Text text;
    6.     //if the tooltip is inside a UI element
    7.     bool inside;
    9.     bool xShifted = false;
    10.     bool yShifted = false;
    12.     int textLength;
    14.     float width;
    15.     float height;
    17.     int screenWidth;
    18.     int screenHeight;
    20.     float canvasWidth;
    21.     float canvasHeight;
    23.     float yShift;
    24.     float xShift;
    26.     int canvasMode;
    28. public void SetTooltip(string ttext){
    29.         //ScreenSpaceOverlay Tooltip
    30.         if(GUIMode==RenderMode.ScreenSpaceOverlay){
    31.             //set the text and fit the tooltip panel to the text size
    32.             text.text=ttext;
    34.             this.transform.GetComponent<RectTransform>().sizeDelta = new Vector2(text.preferredWidth+60f,text.preferredHeight+20f);
    35.             width = this.transform.GetComponent<RectTransform>().sizeDelta[0];
    36.             height = this.transform.GetComponent<RectTransform>().sizeDelta[1];
    38.             Vector3 newPos = Input.mousePosition-new Vector3(xShift,yShift,0f);
    39.             //check and solve problems for the tooltip that goes out of the screen on the horizontal axis
    40.             float val;
    41.             val=(newPos.x-(width/2));
    42.             if(val<=0){
    43.                 newPos.x+=(-val);
    44.             }
    45.             val=(newPos.x+(width/2));
    46.             if(val>screenWidth){
    47.                 newPos.x-=(val-screenWidth);
    48.             }
    49.             //check and solve problems for the tooltip that goes out of the screen on the vertical axis
    50.             val=(screenHeight-newPos.y-(height/2));
    51.             if( val<=0 && !yShifted){
    52.                 yShift=(-yShift+25f);
    53.                 newPos.y+=yShift*2;
    54.                 yShifted=true;
    55.             }
    56.             this.transform.position=newPos;
    57.             this.gameObject.SetActive(true);
    59.             inside=true;
    60.         //WorldSpace Tooltip
    61.         }
    62. }
    64. public void HideTooltip(){
    65.         //ScreenSpaceOverlay Tooltip
    66.         if(GUIMode==RenderMode.ScreenSpaceOverlay){
    67.             xShift = 40f;yShift = -30f;
    68.             xShifted=yShifted=false;
    69.             this.transform.position=Input.mousePosition-new Vector3(xShift,yShift,0f);
    70.             this.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    71.             inside=false;
    72.         }
    73. }
    75. void FixedUpdate () {
    76.         if(inside){
    77.             //ScreenSpaceOverlay Tooltip
    78.             if(GUIMode==RenderMode.ScreenSpaceOverlay){
    79.                 Vector3 newPos = Input.mousePosition-new Vector3(xShift,yShift,0f);
    80.                 //check and solve problems for the tooltip that goes out of the screen on the horizontal axis
    81.                 float val;
    82.                 val=(newPos.x-(width/2));
    83.                 if( val<=0){
    84.                     newPos.x+=(-val);
    85.                 }
    86.                 val=(newPos.x+(width/2));
    87.                 if(val>screenWidth){
    88.                     newPos.x-=(val-screenWidth);
    89.                 }
    90.                 //check and solve problems for the tooltip that goes out of the screen on the vertical axis
    91.                 val=(screenHeight-newPos.y-(height/2));
    92.                 if(val<=0){
    93.                     if(!yShifted){
    94.                         yShift=(-yShift+25f);
    95.                         newPos.y+=yShift*2;
    96.                         yShifted=true;
    97.                     }
    98.                 }
    99.                 this.transform.position=newPos;
    100.         }
    101. }
    hope it helps guys, if you have question feel free to ask!

baustin27 and coombsanity like this.
  29. drHogan

drHogan

I am also slowly adding some features, like the fact that it doesn't go out from the scene (still the vertical flipping is a bit weird, will fix it) even the pointer goes close to the edge, and it resizes according to the text (one line only so far), but it was also a good exercise to learn about the new uGUI (and again, Immanuel saved me ;) )

coombsanity likes this.
  30. coombsanity

coombsanity

Awesome! Thanks drHogan - were gonna try this on Monday and see what happens. Thanks so much for sharing! We've been pulling our hair out.

drHogan likes this.
  31. Velo222

Velo222

Any update yet on tooltips for the new uGUI?

Is it being worked on currently? Will tooltips be ready before the actual Unity 5.0 full release, or do you think it will be ready before then?

Would just like to know the state of it and if it's being worked on at all. Hopefully it didn't get forgotten, tooltips will be pretty important for a game like mine :)

32. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

not being worked on currently. Not forgotten though just lots of other things to do.

33. Velo222

Velo222

Okay, thanks phil for letting me know. I appreciate the update.

34. Democide

Democide

Since I needed tooltips to test something really quick I went to see if there was an implementation in the new uGUI system and stumbled over this thread. Unfortunately none of the custom solutions suited me though, so I quickly built my own, very rough version. It consists of two scripts and a view that is the tooltip.

TooltipTrigger
    This script is put on all the objects you want to trigger the tooltip. It contains the text that should be shown as a public variable. Everything else is handled by the TooltipView.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.EventSystems;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. namespace Sharkbomb.View {
    6.     public class TooltipTrigger : MonoBehaviour, IPointerEnterHandler, IPointerExitHandler, ISelectHandler, IDeselectHandler {
    8.         public string text;
    10.         public void OnPointerEnter(PointerEventData eventData)
    11.         {
    12.             StartHover(new Vector3(eventData.position.x, eventData.position.y - 18f, 0f));
    13.         }
    14.         public void OnSelect(BaseEventData eventData)
    15.         {
    16.             StartHover(transform.position);
    17.         }
    18.         public void OnPointerExit(PointerEventData eventData)
    19.         {
    20.             StopHover();
    21.         }
    22.         public void OnDeselect(BaseEventData eventData)
    23.         {
    24.             StopHover();
    25.         }
    27.         void StartHover(Vector3 position) {
    28.             TooltipView.Instance.ShowTooltip(text, position);
    29.         }
    30.         void StopHover() {
    31.             TooltipView.Instance.HideTooltip();
    32.         }
    34.     }
    35. }
    TooltipView
    This script is put on a separate uGUI object that is the actual visible tooltip. It's a singleton so the many TooltipTriggers can access it quickly and easily.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. namespace Sharkbomb.View {
    5.     public class TooltipView : MonoBehaviour {
    7.         public bool IsActive {
    8.             get {
    9.                 return gameObject.activeSelf;
    10.             }
    11.         }
    12.         //public CanvasGroup tooltip;
    13.         public UnityEngine.UI.Text tooltipText;
    15.         void Awake() {
    16.             instance = this;
    17.             HideTooltip();
    18.         }
    20.         public void ShowTooltip(string text, Vector3 pos) {
    21.             if (tooltipText.text != text)
    22.                 tooltipText.text = text;
    24.             transform.position = pos;
    26.             gameObject.SetActive(true);
    27.         }
    29.         public void HideTooltip() {
    30.             gameObject.SetActive(false);
    31.         }
    33.         // Standard Singleton Access
    34.         private static TooltipView instance;
    35.         public static TooltipView Instance
    36.         {
    37.             get
    38.             {
    39.                 if (instance == null)
    40.                     instance = GameObject.FindObjectOfType<TooltipView>();
    41.                 return instance;
    42.             }
    43.         }
    44.     }
    45. }
    As said, it's a very simple script. There's a bunch of things it doesn't do. Among them:

- It doesn't wait a second before showing the tooltip.
    - It currently places the tooltip over the object when selecting it via keyboard
    - The tooltip can leave the boundaries of the screen and become (partially) invisible

SimonDarksideJ likes this.
  35. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  36. Democide

Democide

37. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Thanks Martin, will update the credits.
    The project is under a BSD license which is pretty similar to CC. Basically free to all to use modify and whatever.

If you have anymore, feel free to fork the project and submit more.

*Note, it got renamed to BoundTooltip as there was another Tooltip control already in the project :D
    I also added an Editor Menu option to create it automatically for you

38. Democide

Democide

Fair enough, not sure why you called it Bound, but that's not really important. I also noticed you added a check to make sure tooltip is assigned ;)

39. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

The other tooltip control that came off the "Useful Scripts" thread is just one script you can attach to anything. This script required two separate components, one for the tooltip and one as an activator. So it seemed to make sense to call it bound because the tooltip has a dependency, that was all :D

I noticed in your vid that your Tooltip GO was also offset (to avoid it being hit), I need to update the editor menu to do that. Either that or add an offset property (or did I do that already, I forget :S)

40. Ewh

Ewh

Man, you rock! I modified a little bit your tooltip solution and it worked perfectly. The modification was for the tooltip running outside the screen when too close to the bottom. It also taught me a little about the Event Trigger system.

Tiles likes this.
  41. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Nothing against writing extra code; but for things like tooltips, the expectation was that they would be released pretty quickly. The best way to avoid bugs is to have less code to write; and a tooltip as internal function, reduce the percentage of potential risk :)

On a side note, the new UI system is nice, the hope is that it will function similarly to Visual Studio (auto align, group align, even spacing, even sizing of controls and so on). I just gazed the old system, and the new one feel more "modern"

42. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Code (csharp):
    2.     public class ToolTip : MonoBehaviour, IPointerEnterHandler, IPointerExitHandler {
    4.         [Tooltip ("UI components to show or hide.")]
    5.         [SerializeField]
    6.         protected GameObject toolTipComponent;
    8.         [Tooltip ("If true toolTipComponent will be moved to mouse position.")]
    9.         [SerializeField]
    10.         protected bool moveTipToMousePosition;
    12.         protected Vector2 lastPosition;
    14.         const float ToolTipDelay = 1.25f;
    16.         const float MouseMoveLeeway = 10.0f;
    18.         public void OnPointerEnter(PointerEventData eventData)
    19.         {
    20.             StopAllCoroutines ();
    21.             StartCoroutine (CheckForHover ());
    22.         }
    24.         public void OnPointerExit(PointerEventData eventData)
    25.         {
    26.             StopAllCoroutines ();
    27.             Hide();
    28.         }
    30.         public void Show () {
    31.             if (moveTipToMousePosition) {
    32.                 MoveToolTipToMousePosition ();
    33.             }
    34.             toolTipComponent.SetActive (true);
    35.             StartCoroutine (CheckForCancel());
    36.         }
    38.         public void Hide () {
    39.             toolTipComponent.SetActive (false);
    40.         }
    42.         protected void MoveToolTipToMousePosition() {
    43.             // Note this works for screen overlay only
    44.             toolTipComponent.transform.position = new Vector2((int)Input.mousePosition.x, (int) Input.mousePosition.y);
    45.         }
    47.         protected IEnumerator CheckForHover () {
    48.             float timeStill = 0.0f;
    49.             lastPosition = Input.mousePosition;
    50.             yield return true;
    51.             while (timeStill < ToolTipDelay) {
    52.                 if (Vector2.Distance(lastPosition, Input.mousePosition) > MouseMoveLeeway) {
    53.                     timeStill = 0;
    54.                 } else {
    55.                     timeStill += Time.deltaTime;
    56.                 }
    57.                 lastPosition = Input.mousePosition;
    58.                 yield return true;
    59.             }
    60.             Show ();
    61.         }
    63.         protected IEnumerator CheckForCancel () {
    64.             lastPosition = Input.mousePosition;
    65.             yield return true;
    66.             while (Vector2.Distance(lastPosition, Input.mousePosition) < MouseMoveLeeway) {
    67.                 yield return true;
    68.             }
    69.             Hide ();
    70.         }
    71.     }
    Just happened to need a quick tooltip so I whipped this up. I didn't go through everything here, its almost certainly not as advanced as the projects for download, but it has a delay which is what I needed :)

It should be pointed to a tool tip which probably looks like this:

ToolTipBase (active = false)
    - VisualComponent (use a left top positioning so the tip appears at mouse pointer).

43. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Some interesting points in there @JohnnyA might borrow a few and update the existing ToolTip implementations in the UIExtensions project.
    Only thing I'd change (apart from positioning / activation) would be to not use "StopAllCoroutines". In larger projects this can cause issues, especially if there are other managers using coroutines in a scene.
    Good stuff, never considering having the delay option and this implementation seems fairly robust

44. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@SimonDarksideJ use whatever you want I was writing for speed (of getting it done... according to my git checkins it took me less than 11 minutes :) ) not robustness so I'm sure lots can be improved. StopAllCoroutines was pure laziness.

SimonDarksideJ likes this.
  45. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Now 1.25 years later... still on the back burner? It really does seem like quite a curious omission.

Korindian likes this.
  46. Korindian

Korindian

@phil-Unity Hi, as the above poster was asking, any news about a built-in solution for tooltips?

47. Mightyy

Mightyy

This would save a bunch of hassle and would be very useful especially for PC games, may have to just write something myself then.

JoeStrout likes this.
  48. Korindian

Korindian

@phil-Unity Hi Phil, checking in again after 3 months. Will this ever be included as part of the UI framework in the future? I saw your post in this thread a year ago:

so I'm assuming it will be?