Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tools menu missing. :(

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Witchcore, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witchcore

Witchcore

I am busy learning uscript, which pops up in the tools menu, and the tools menu randomly vanished. Google is not helping, and I reimported uscript. Kind of hard to get anything done when i cannot find some sort of toggle for the tools menu anywhere. :<

2. Witchcore

Witchcore

i cant figure it out :(

vishvajitparmar92 likes this.
  3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There is no tools menu in Unity by default. If an asset created one for itself, that's up to the asset (although creating custom menu categories is discouraged; menu items are supposed to be put under GameObject/Component/Window/etc. as appropriate).

--Eric

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. bschroed

bschroed

I have the same problem, I purchased an asset in the asset store that created an entry under the tools menu. Now the tools menu has disappeared. Removing and re-importing the asset has not brought the menu back. I'm trying to get it back.
    I found the solution. I'm leaving this posting here in case someone else has the same issue. The problem was a script located within the folder structure that added the item to the tools menu had a compile error.

Bill

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    Haxel0rd and MattSpeakman like this.
  5. trintasegundos

trintasegundos

hello there.
    i have the same problem.
    how to fix it please?
    what script gave you that error?

6. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

No tools in my dev either. In fact I got here because I cant run any asset WTFFFFFF is going Uniteaser?
    Tools on, Tools off. And like a fool I paid from all my tools in previous versions. I was using everthang just fine then poof! Excuse my impatience. I have been involved with computers since 1977 and the S*** is all the same. NFT - not fully tested. Ya know what? Its managements faulted. I guyawntee it!

7. weatxyz

weatxyz

Whenever a menu disappears on me it's usually because a script failed to compile.

8. radiantboy

radiantboy

Got the same problem here I cant find most of my assets under tools anymore, did anyone find solution?

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

1. Open Unity
    2. Click new
    3. Click add asset package
    4. select your assets in asset package
    5. Click on create project

and if you want to add assets on ongoing project

1. Open your project
    2. hit "Ctrl + 9"
    3. go to downloaded assets
    4. select you preset pack and click on import."download if the package is not there"

Sadly this is the only solution we have.. import it again

* i suggest download from within the unity application instead of other browsers...

Enjoy and all the best for future projects

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2018
    darklanx likes this.
  10. jmzjob

jmzjob

Just Restart your Project and you are all set!!

11. radiantboy

radiantboy

i somehow fixed this by deleting lots of unused shaders, not sure what happened but it compiled and they all came back. Im not exactly sure that was the solution because i also upgraded unity at the time.

12. metalmaniac377

metalmaniac377

hi I downloaded ProBuilder and to open it I have to open the tools menu and when i looked, none there Screenshot (15).png
    halp

13. Bigboss2019

Bigboss2019

i have the same Problem! I really dont like this System. I try another one.

14. timkpk

timkpk

Try to create a new empty project and import the assets directly from Asset Store. Inside Unity, go to Window > Asset Store, search for 2D Game Kit, download it and click on Import, it's work for me.

15. laissezpharaoh

laissezpharaoh

Okay guys I know im this may be really late for alot of you guys and you probably figured it out already but for anyone else that runs into this problem from now on I want to solve this issue for them. The way I solved this problem is by going to Window> Package Manager>Probuilder>Install. Basically if you didnt add it during your unity install its still there you just have to do that to add it manually. So yeah once you do that the "tools" option will show up on the top menu bar and then you can use Probuilder, good to go.

16. KingKong320

KingKong320

i had the same issue,i resolved it by as follows
    1)First of all find Editor folder in Project tab,and look if the script is present there,i had script there and when i opened that script it was started with if "Unity_5",but as i am using unity 2017,so i commented that condition and tools option is present in top bar,

17. amonka

amonka

how u fix this problem ,,,are u delet the scripts with a compile error?

18. amonka

amonka

how to fix it i import asset and shoukld i find its script that have a compile error and delete it ??from the asset folder?

19. amonka

amonka

do u fix this problem i have the same problem?

20. Goblins4ever

Goblins4ever

I had the same problem. Fix: Delete the Files where you get the error from. (just klick on the errors to find the corrupted/old folders)

sry for bad english
    hope i could help

21. tjeroo

tjeroo

Just going to comment if this will save time from someone else, I encountered this same issue with 2D Game Kit Walkthrough:
    I created a new project, imported the 2D Game Kit tutorial project from the asset store and after Kit Tools-menu didn't exist.
    On the bottom of my editor (v2019.3.05a) after importing project there was a red compiler error message that mentioned Packages/Cinemachine as part of the message (the actual compiler error message was "The type or namespace name 'UI' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine'").
    What I then did was go into Window -> Package manager and find Cinemachine, which I updated to the latest version (from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4). After installing I restarted Unity and reopened my project and now Kit Tools-menu is available.

22. monriatitans

monriatitans

With the updated version, if you load in ProBuilder, you have to go through Package Manager, under Windows, to install it or you won't be able to use it.

But the main reason as to why I want the Tools menu back is because I want to see the dimensions of my game objects. I can't now.

23. Antonio_HD

Antonio_HD

I have a problem. I don’t have the „Kit Tools“ Menu.! What can I do. Please help.....

surgoel and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Antonio_HD

Antonio_HD

For my problem(one Information), I‘m have a Apple Computer(Mac)

25. radiantboy

radiantboy

maybe you are over the shader limit? or other script errors?

26. JeffBship

JeffBship

Where did you find "new"? Under the File drop down there is "New Scene" and "New Project", neither of which lead to "add asset package".

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

You are aware that the post you quoted is very old and probably out dated.

28. JeffBship

JeffBship

I quoted the old post on purpose to show that the problem has existed for over a year and has not been fixed. Especially since it's the first step of the first beginner class, it seems like there should be ongoing discussion about it.

The problem is current. No solution (that I can find) has been posted. Do you know how to find "Kit Tools" in the 2d Game Kit? https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/2d...481eedbc2a00206944f0#5c7f8528edbc2a002053b759

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

What problem? There's never been a Tools menu in Unity, as @Eric5h5 mentioned in his post #3.

30. JeffBship

JeffBship

The first step of the beginner tutorial: https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/2d...465c7ec01&projectId=5c51481eedbc2a00206944f0#

Step one is "click Kit Tools" and it shows a screenshot of the Kit Tools button on the top row. This button does not exist.

Here is the top row in the current version of Unity, downloaded yesterday. Version number can be seen in the image.

And here is the first step of the tutorial, showing Unity's screenshot of where they want you to click:

The screenshot of the tutorial shows that there should be a "Kit Tools" button. Perhaps the tutorial was written for an older version. The button is not there in the current version.

Some suggest installing the 2d Game Kit though the asset store, but that does not provide the Kit Tools.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  31. Deleted User

Deleted User

This "Kit Tools" menu belongs to the 2D Game Kit tutorial, not to the editor, you need to report it in the right forums: https://forum.unity.com/threads/2d-game-kit-official-thread.517249/

The 2D Game Kit in the Assets Store is probably not up to date and you'll have to install the proper version of Unity to download it from Unity Hub.

If the proper version of Unity is not installed, the Hub will just stop importing the project but the package is stored into "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Unity Technologies\Project". You'll be able to import it in the version of Unity you are using, as long as it is a 2019.2 one. It is best that you use the recommended version of Unity; I couldn't read the message that mentions it because I wasn't watching my screen and it didn't last long enough. You'll have to be patient, it's a really big project.

I just did that and Kit Tools is in the menu.

Sans-titre-1.jpg

32. JeffBship

JeffBship

Exactly...

Thanks! I'll look for the version in your screenshot.

Sadly, several versions ago is what their link at https://store.unity.com/download-nuo leads to, which is what I was following assuming they'd have the latest version on the download button. But after your mention of that I've found their download archive page which does have the version in your screenshot.

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  33. JeffBship

JeffBship

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

35. JeffBship

JeffBship

LoL... you have to have the Hub installed before you can download the Hub? Thanks for that link.

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at Unity. Just goes to show how important it is to thoroughly document everything and update the documentation as rigorously as testing your code, and how often it is neglected even in professional software companies.

And success!

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

No, the green buttons on the archive page are for donwloading the editors through the Hub. When you click on them, they open the Hub and download the chosen editor.

37. bombardierul69

bombardierul69

hey, I also have a problem with the tool menu that doesn't exist anymore, but from your comments, I don't figure out where exactly I can open the tool, in my case, ProBuilder upload_2020-2-13_15-13-38.png

38. bombardierul69

bombardierul69

i think i found out,sorry
    thx u very much, u saved me a lot of time

39. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Fix your code errors first, else unity cant compile the packages and show you the menu.

40. Gamooze

Gamooze

41. Gamooze

Gamooze

HELP ITS GONE ON THE > side !

42. CONQUESTX20

CONQUESTX20

The packages I imported into unity haven't loaded, so I can't use cinemachine or pro builder.

Not to mention the error log doesn't have any text in it?

Can someone please explain to me what's going on?

Attached Files:

43. Tubestorm

Tubestorm

What I did. Despite having compiler errors was.
    1. Install fine Cinemachine 2.5.0
    2. Download pro builder 4.2.3
    3. Save my scene
    4. Close that sh*t
    5. Reopen the project
    6. and it worked.
    kind of annoying AF. But that’s what I did.
    (No idea what cinemachine has to do with probuilder, but it worked so I’m not complaining)

44. ankurJKD

ankurJKD

Thanks a lot for the help. Now it is working fine :)

45. Riley_san

Riley_san

M sharing how I solve this problem or more else find out.
    I was looking for ProBuilder in asset store then after installing the ProBuilder package that TOOLS menu appear.
    Install ProBuilder
    Steps :
    Windows > package maneger > Unity registery > scroll down and install ProBuilder
    After installing Tools menu will appear on the bar.

Neilatunity2023 likes this.
  46. Lexudau

Lexudau

I was having the same issue with several other assets. I solved some unrelated compiling errors in my code and the missing assets were loaded right away.

47. Jaskirat132

Jaskirat132

bro like i saw a youtuber do it but it is not working in my end plz help

48. rodneya63

rodneya63

That worked for me

49. raider6453

raider6453

I found that having scripts that are not even related to your Inventory Manager can cause it to not load and make a [Tools] tab. If you save your project and scene and exit out of unity then reopen it will prompt you to open your project into safemode, fix/resolve your scripts and or whatever error your console shows, then your manager will show up with a [Tools] tab. Hope this helps!!! Worked for me, im using "2020.3.1f1".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.