Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tool help devs to upgrade their shaders to URP/HDRP ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quast, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Quast

Quast

Hi.
    I was talking to develop of shaders to upgrade his shaders to URP/HDRP. He start to giving me excuse of time to do that and also maybe get damage with the next update of unity !! So, why unity develop not release a tool to help those people to upgrade their assets instead of rewrite the shader file ?

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Because that's not an insignificant task? Unity's old shader setup was and continues to be kind of a mess and making a smooth transition from that to HLSL isn't exactly simple.

Amon and Ryiah like this.
  3. Quast

Quast

Like this, they will not have the chance to get back and upgrade their shaders, and they really losing customer because of this issue. Maybe most of shaders in unity store not support URP/HDRP. Leaving this mess like that will not solve it self.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

I disagree. For starters, Unity isn't forcing anyone to move to the new render pipelines, and by the time they do discontinue the original pipeline just about everyone will have learned how. Besides think about it for a moment, switching engines means having to rewrite more than just your shaders. No one with any sense will switch just for that alone.

While I never got around to learning the original shader system, and it was never a very easy one to begin with, the new system has been a breeze to pick up and I'm just a programmer. Start learning. You have more than enough time to get up to speed with it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  5. kdgalla

kdgalla

Amon and Joe-Censored like this.
  6. Murgilod

Murgilod

7. neginfinity

neginfinity

I need to catch up with this. What are good starting point for the new pipelines? Getting started with HDRP/LWRP or is there more?

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.shadergraph@6.9/manual/Getting-Started.html

8. kdgalla

kdgalla

I forgot about post processing shaders. Maybe this new "VFX graph" is meant to handle those some day.

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

I dunno, maybe. I used to do them in Amplify because it makes it easier to visualize information flow, but that got broken at some point, so now I use Post Processing Ultimate, which I can only describe as "functional at best."

10. Tzan

Tzan

I'll put that on my tombstone.
    "He was functional at best."

:)

Amon and Joe-Censored like this.
  11. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

There's always some pain points during a transition period. There were some of the same threads crying about Unity destroying their customer base when die hard UnityScript fans found out they were going to have to watch some C# tutorial videos. It turned out fine.

It is always the case when a new feature is introduced that most assets on the store support the legacy feature rather than the new feature. That is just common sense, and not evidence of any actual problem, and it actually will solve itself because that is what has happened in every other case.

When the new UI was introduced in 4.6 all the existing assets on the store were for the legacy UI or for 3rd party UI systems. Oh no, huge problem that will not solve itself! When the new particle system was introduced, all the existing particle system assets available were for the legacy particle system. Oh no, huge problem that will not solve itself!

Ridiculous. Today it is easy to find assets for the current UI system, current particle system, or any feature which replaced a legacy feature that has been allowed to mature a few years. Temporary pain during the transition, and on the other side you see yes it did solve itself.

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

I started with an existing project that needed to be converted to the HDRP. Unity's automatic tools were able to handle about 80% of the assets, but I had to go in and swap a number of them by hand but none of the materials required more than selecting the appropriate HDRP shader (it was almost always just HDRP Lit) and hooking up existing textures.

Once I had achieved that I jumped right into the Shader Graph and VFX tools with the latter being the more difficult one for me as it didn't feel anything like a normal particle system and you approach problems with large quantities of particles rather than small quantities.

Concerning reference and learning materials the only tutorial I watched was the following tutorial from Brackeys. Otherwise I've just relied on the official documentation and a little experimentation.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    neginfinity likes this.