Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Too much files for Project Templates

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by WillNode, Apr 18, 2018.

1. WillNode

WillNode

I recently installed 2018.1b13 from b7 and at some point I felt the installation is much slower.

Turns out I'm right.

Using WinDirStat, here I highlight the difference between b13 (left) and b7 (right):

Screenshot (312).png

From b13 (the left one), there's additional ~500 MB from ProjectTemplates. Turns out that additional size comes from Library files that included along with templates (in b7 these folders do not exist).

Screenshot (314).png

I don't really mind for additional 500 MB, but heck, it contains too much files (16000+ items!), enough to increase the installation time roughly from 5 (in b7) to 13 minutes.

Can we get rid of those? Yeah, maybe it's faster to embed Library so the editor just have to copy it all and no need to call importers, but I'd rather disagree as CPU is 10000x faster than disk.

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The addition of the library folders to the template packages has been reverted for RC1, so installation times will be back to normal.

3. WillNode

WillNode

Oh thanks. Nice to hear that :)

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Awesome! Im not going to bother asking when RC1 is coming as its always being asked, but its thursday and heres hoping its today!!!!

WillNode likes this.