Search Unity

Too Many New Users

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by QFSW, May 9, 2015.

1. QFSW

QFSW

Hi all

After some testing of my game in the editor, I checked the analytics later that day and had a sudden spike in new users which was much to high as I haven't distributed the game publicly yet, and according to the segment they were all from an editor

Anyone know whats going on?

Thanks in advance

2. QFSW

QFSW

I think a possibility may be that every time I play from the editor it registers a new user, if this is the case, does anyone know the cause or fix? If not, anyone know whats going on?

3. QFSW

QFSW

Ah, I think I may have found the problem, I was testing while the target was set to web player, is this what is causing all the new users?

4. elie-noune

elie-noune

Hey @QFSW!

Thanks for your question. Could you pm me your project id so I can take a closer look?

5. sixmindan

sixmindan

What was the issue here? I think I'm seeing similar in my project.

6. QFSW

QFSW

When I looked at my dashboard I had 50 new users from the last time I checked (which I knew was impossible)
    I was playing in the editor with the target set as web player
    When I switched it to standalone or android it stopped adding new users to each run
    @sixmindan , do you have the target set to webplayer?

Also @elie.noune , sorry for not PMing you, either it didn't used to show up that you were from Unity or I just didn't see it so I was being cautious, would you still like the project ID even though I think I've resolved it

7. sixmindan

sixmindan

@QFSW target set to either Android or iOS depending on the dev (team of 6 working on the game)

8. QFSW

QFSW

Hmm, I don't know then, sorry
    I haven't had any issues with Android and haven't tried iOS

9. frosted

frosted

I have 6 new users. They're all from player on the same machine. I definitely had some bad code firing the analytics startup and stuff when I was first plugging things in. But it does seem strange that the new user count is so high.

If multiple start sessions are fired from the same machine/session, are these potentially counted as concurrent users?

What is the criteria for a unique user?

10. angeloferro

angeloferro

Hey @frosted,

We think it might have to do with caching. We generate our own userId that is saved in a cache folder - so if the folder is deleted, the SDK will think it's a new user. The cache folder is named "Unity" and is inside a persistent data path, which you can get by calling this.

Please check if the folder is being deleted, and let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
    -Angelo

11. Salazar

Salazar

Hello @angeloferro,

So if we delete local data from device(to reset player.prefs) it counts a new user?
    Is there a way to prevent this. Some filter like Test Device ID..
    Best solution is analitics off when still developing i think..

Regards,

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  12. mpinol

mpinol

Hi @Salazar,

Yes, if you delete all of the local data then they will count as a new user. However, if you remove everything except the Archived Events folder, varying locations across platforms, then they will not be counted as a new user.

It is really common for users to have two projects, one for developing and another for release. This way they can collect useful data while developing without worrying about affecting their release data.

Salazar likes this.