Search Unity

Too Many Game Objects are Causing Low FPS

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by rowlettgames, Sep 10, 2019.

1. rowlettgames

rowlettgames

I've recently started working on a game and as I have been putting more game objects in to my world, I have noticed it has started to accumulate more and more lag. At first I had 81 1x1 planes all arranged in a square, those planes also had a total of ~100 trees on top of them. Each tree had a total of 19 game objects making it up. So in the beginning there was a total of 1,981 game objects. During that time my game ran with around 60 FPS. That is when I decided to take that square and make it even bigger by duplicating all of the objects 9 times. This means that there are 17,829 game objects that are in my game right now, excluding the player and the one rotating cube in my loading screen. Now I am getting 14 - 16 FPS in my game. Does anyone know how to fix this?

2. rowlettgames

rowlettgames

Okay, so I found a way to sort of fix this. In my game I had ~17,827 game objects that were all unconnected. To fix this, I simply just made the whole thing into a prefab. Although, now my FPS is around only giving me 40 - 50 frames which is still not as much as it used to give me. If anyone could help me to find out what I should do next, I would be very grateful...

3. mouurusai

mouurusai

Did you tried to use a static batching?

4. Leohd

Leohd

Objects that are cloned many times in the scenes must have their Mesh Renderer properties set to minimal. Turn off light probe, reflection probe, etc.

5. cubrman

cubrman

Right now I'm having FPS problems with regular GameObjects that have NOTHING on them AND they are TURNED OFF! I have no clue what is happening...

6. DevDunk

DevDunk

Make a new post and provide all the details you can

7. cubrman

cubrman

As usually that was my fault) Used FindObjectOfType in a giant scene)

DevDunk likes this.
  8. LavarBal

LavarBal

When I clone too many 1 pixel squares it causes lag. Literally 2D object > Sprite > Square plus a rigidbody2d and boxcollider2d. Nothing more..

9. DevDunk

DevDunk

That's not weird. If you have too many objects, it will lag

10. John_Leorid

John_Leorid

I made a video about that topic - the solution is: not having too many objects active at the same time, by using custom LOD / streaming.

StarSilver22 and pm007 like this.