Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Too Long Animations List in Inspector

Discussion in 'Animation' started by ptm_oo, May 10, 2020.

1. ptm_oo

ptm_oo

Hi, Is there other way to edit animation clips in Inspector other than drop down list?
    Now, when I have 250+ clips, then I have to tediously and slowly wait for the list to scroll down and reveal that one animation I'm looking for? Any ideas? Thanks

anim_list.jpg

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

I can think of a few (S***ty) workarounds:
    • Pressing a letter key might jump you through the list to the first entry starting with that letter.
    • Make a separate Animator Controller to just put in the clips you want to edit. Or make a script that implements IAnimationClipSource so you can just throw them all in an array instead of needing to make lots of states and stuff.
    • It would probably be possible to do some editor scripting using reflection to access the animation window so you can make a better interface for it, but that would take a bunch of effort.

ptm_oo likes this.
  3. ptm_oo

ptm_oo

Thanks for the ideas!
    1/ unfortunetly won't work
    2/ that's interesting idea, thanks I'll explore this
    3/ oh no, but it would be perfect

4. faltek

faltek

Can resonate with this issue. It is brutal to find your callback function. Should have forward search matching.

5. pioj

pioj

Wat about having a nice tool with a tree-like controls, like the new Input System has?

6. WorldTravelerMatthieu

WorldTravelerMatthieu

Is there any asset that can help improve this inspector ? I have the same problem working on a pixel Art game and with all direction you have few hundreds animations to look into ... Even just a scroll option would help a bit :p

7. ululbulul

ululbulul

I managed to create a custom editor window with buttons to select animation clips.
    For my project, all I needed was:
    1 get currently selected AnimatorController
    2 get the path of folder where controller is
    3 get all AnimationClips from that folder
    4 display all in window

Below are my code snippets for inspiration

(1 - 3)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static AnimationClip[] GetAllMotionsForController()
    2.                 {
    3.                         AnimatorController controller = GetCurrentController();
    4.                         GetControllerInfo(controller, out string controllerPath, out string controllerFolder, out string controllerName);
    5.                         return GetAllInstances<AnimationClip>(controllerFolder);
    6.                 }
    (1)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static AnimatorController GetCurrentController()
    2.                 {
    3.                         AnimatorController controller = null;
    4.                         EditorWindow[] tools = Resources.FindObjectsOfTypeAll<EditorWindow>();
    5.                         int i;
    6.                         int count = tools.Length;
    7.                         for (i = 0; i < count; i++)
    8.                         {
    9.                                 var toolType = tools[i].GetType();
    10.                                 var controllerProperty = toolType.GetProperty("animatorController", BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.Instance);
    11.                                 if (controllerProperty != null)
    12.                                 {
    13.                                         controller = controllerProperty.GetValue(tools[i], null) as AnimatorController;
    14.                                         return controller;
    15.                                 }
    16.                         }
    17.                         return null;
    18.                 }
    (2)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static void GetControllerInfo(AnimatorController controller,
    2.                         out string controllerPath, out string controllerFolder, out string controllerName)
    3.                 {
    4.                         controllerPath = AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(controller);
    5.                         controllerFolder = controllerPath.Substring(0, controllerPath.LastIndexOf('/'));
    6.                         int controllerFullNameStart = controllerPath.LastIndexOf('/') + 1;
    7.                         int controllerFullNameEnd = controllerPath.LastIndexOf('.');
    8.                         string controllerFullName = controllerPath.Substring(controllerFullNameStart, controllerFullNameEnd - controllerFullNameStart);
    9.                         controllerName = controllerFullName.Split("__")[0];
    10.                 }
    (3)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static T[] GetAllInstances<T>(string parentFolder) where T : UnityEngine.Object
    2.                 {
    3.                         string[] guids = AssetDatabase.FindAssets("t:" + typeof(T).Name, new[] { parentFolder });
    4.                         T[] a = new T[guids.Length];
    5.                         for (int i = 0; i < guids.Length; i++)
    6.                         {
    7.                                 string path = AssetDatabase.GUIDToAssetPath(guids[i]);
    8.                                 a[i] = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath<T>(path);
    9.                         }
    10.                         return a;
    11.                 }
    (4)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. AnimationWindow animWin = EditorWindow.GetWindow<AnimationWindow>(false, "Animation", false);
    2.                         AnimationClip[] motions = GlobalMethod.GetAllMotionsForController();
    3.                         int count = motions.Length;
    4.                         int i;
    5.                         for (i = 0; i < count; i++)
    6.                         {
    7.                                 if (PEGui.Button(motions[i].name, PELayout.V0, m_displayWidth, 18f))
    8.                                         animWin.animationClip = motions[i];
    9.                         }

8. paulygons

paulygons

Thanks Kybernetik. "Make a separate Animator Controller to just put in the clips you want to edit." Better than nothing! The current method of scrolling through a huge list is not suitable for numerous animations. Shame that ululbulul's solution seems complicated and hard, as predicted.

9. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

Actually there's another option now: if you can upgrade to Unity 2023 they finally got around to making context menus searchable and scrollable. I haven't specifically checked this menu, but it seems like a global revamp of all menus so it should automatically apply here too.