Search Unity

Today, suddenly, SteamVR controllers vanish and Vive trackers become the controllers????

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by CloudyVR, Oct 5, 2018.

1. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I was working on my game just two days ago and using Vive trackers just fine. Today I start working on same project and I cant see my controllers as soon as my Vive trackers are turned on. Poof they disappear and my hip and weapon trackers becomes my character's hands!!!!?????
    • I have tried repairing in different orders, controllers disappear.
    • I have tried re-installing SteamVR, controllers disappear.
    • I have tried installing SteamVR (Beta), controllers disappear.
    • I have tried rebooting PC reopen Unity project, controllers disappear.
    • I have opened other previous projects that used to work, controllers disappear.

This is incredible, and just continues to add to the mountain of unexpected down time caused by other previously SteamVR tracker issues,
    it's like every month or so something new in SteamVR/Unity just goes haywire costing days, weeks to recover.

Has SteamVR been updated in the last two day??? Or am I experiencing a system wide change in my Unity environment?? I am using 1538437695

i honestly have no idea what just happened. I have been cruising along for a long while using trackers and controllers until today, now it's all just broken...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  2. LivingValkyrie

LivingValkyrie

steamVr has indeed updated, we just updated our dev pcs today to it. then we found the same issue you are having. to make it worse if you update the steamVR unity package they COMPLETELY overhauled their input system to use a new "actions" system. the old SteamVr_Controller class is completely gone. my teams project is completely broken now until we can get migrated to the new system.

valve could have atleast marked the old controller stuff as deprecated so that we could use it while we migrate. i even copied over the old classes from a previous repo commit but still had a lot of issues because of all the changes they made.

CloudyVR likes this.
  3. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I see what you mean, I just updated the SteamVR asset and now SteamVR_TrackedObject class is no longer defined. This was essential to parts of my game.

And wreaks VRTK too.

So what does this mean for all existing Unity/SteamVR projects, they're scrapped now??? Everything needs to be rewritten from the bottom up?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  4. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Ok,
    I was just informed by programmer joe:

"This should be fixed in the latest beta:
    https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791435040972/announcements/detail/1692682595726560078"

Specifically:
    I noticed that after he replied, the update was queued in Steam.
    So after installing it and reverting back to the previous SteamVR asset in Unity I "think" it's working now.

I'll report back if it is flawed still. But if you also have same issue and this update solves it, please leave a comment!

5. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Well it just happened again, so I guess SteamVR is still royally screwed.

Again, does this mean all current projects need to be updated to latest SteamVR asset in order to recover from this devastating update? Or is there another way?

6. LivingValkyrie

LivingValkyrie

I've come up with my own solution for assigning the controllers. Basically I just listen for input from all the devices and assign a reference to the device IDs when I get input. Left then right. Then just reference those static IDs whenever I need to check input.

I did discover that my hands were disappearing due to 1 of my teammates placing a trigger kill volume in the wrong position, so they were being destroyed as soon as they spawned.

Hope my solution for assigning controllers helps you. I can't post the code unfortunately because it's under nda. I could write up psuedocode tho if you want

7. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I am wondering if what you mention can help solve my issue regarding VRTK?

My main issue right now is that before starting gameplay I can see all controllers and trackers just fine, but (sometimes) after the game starts, then the controllers disappear and trackers become the controllers (requiring restarting SteamVR).

VRTK even highlights grabbable objects when the trackers hover over them. And I see the tracker mesh in game too, just as I would normally see a controller's mesh. So something is mistaking the trackers for controllers.

So the only way to fix it is to restart SteamVR, and hope it resets, then turn all trackers and controllers back on. then build game, play, repeat.

I must have restarted SteamVR more than 50 times in the last few hours tonight alone. And development has slowed to an agonizing craw.

If there is any workaround to the latest super flawed Steam update then please help me figure it out!

8. LivingValkyrie

LivingValkyrie

I'm not using vrtk, so I'm not sure, but it may. I'll give it a look when I get back in the office tomorrow morning. I'm sure it won't be too hard of a fix. From what I'm seeing the update to steamvr makes the trackers and controllers all get randomly assigned IDs - where before they were based on the order you turned them on.

To start with I would say add a print out to your console of the IDs for each of your tracker game objects and then if you are manually able to set them in the inspector move them around so that they are set right. It's a pain but if it atleast helps you move forward til I can look further into it then it's better than nothing

9. LivingValkyrie

LivingValkyrie

Hey, really sorry I got caught up and totally forgot to test this for you. I just seen that steamvr updated with a fix on the controller assignment tho, so hopefully that fixes the issue. If it doesn't then let me know and I'll try to look into using my solution with vrtk