Search Unity

To start making 3D FPS Exploration (Tomb Raider-style) game today, which starter pack use

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by alex1st1, Sep 20, 2021.

1. alex1st1

alex1st1

Back in 2018 I've seen this great kit:
    3D Game Kit
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/tutorials/3d-game-kit-115747

Later 3D Game Kit disappered from Unity Hub Learn tab - replaced by this:
    Creator Kit: FPS
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/tutorials/creator-kit-fps-149310

And now in Unity Hub you see this:
    FPS microgame
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/fps-microgame-156015

Do you know:
    1) Why?
    maybe the first was very complex for beginners (a lot of scripting components) and the last is a simplest one based on BOLT?

2) What to start with TODAY - and WHY?
    maybe 3D Game Kit is the best of the best ever just 'cause it is very flexible?

3) If I want to start making 3D FPS Exploration (Tomb Raider-style) game today, which starter pack would you recommend and WHY?

Please when answering tell me whether you tried those packs or just heard about

It would be great to hear opinions \ rumors from UNITY TEAM actually

2. alex1st1

alex1st1

Is everyone starting from scratch? ;)

3. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

That would be the best option, what you want to do might be a bit ambitious for a beginner.

4. alex1st1

alex1st1

Why?
    For Instance in 3D Game Kit you have ready to use meshes and scripts which you need to tailor to your needs, e.g. replace rock meshes with ones you like, paint a new level and play.

While starting from scratch looks like reinventing the wheel.

My question actually is as follows: do those Unity kits evolve in time (I mean latest is how it should be done in 2021 and 3D kit is old obsolete 2018 toy) or I just take which I like more and play around.

As we know, old good assets and projects get compile errors when opened in modern Unity versions... ;)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  5. LootHunter

LootHunter

3D Game Kit is a fine place to start. But be prepared that it has some glitches and a clunky structure overall. You will probably have to do a lot of tuning and code rewriting if you want to make a game that is not just Explorer with replaced models.

6. alex1st1

alex1st1

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

I don't start from scratch but I don't start with the kit as a base for my project either. Instead I determine the assets in the kit that would benefit my project and extract them and their dependencies from the kit. That way I don't have to live with all of the design decisions introduced by the kit.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  8. LootHunter

LootHunter

I haven't tried "microgame" but as for FPS Kit, it's the same as for 3D Game Kit. You can use it as a base for an FPS game just fine but still have to code. Making games without coding is a myth.

9. alex1st1

alex1st1

That's OK, I'm a programmer ;) But still reinventing the wheel looks boring ;)

Joe-Censored likes this.