Search Unity

To Mecanim or not to Mecanim American Football sim

Discussion in 'Animation' started by mremus, Jan 20, 2015.

1. mremus

mremus

Noob questions
    I am developing an American football simulation using some of the "canned" (3D model, rigged, animated) football player packages that are out in the Unity asset store and on sites like Turbosquid. I anticipate my plays and player actions will be fairly scripted. Coudl someone give me some suggestions as whether to use Mecanim to facilitate getting a given play with accompanying player and referee actions setup and coordinated or go the legacy route with heavy scripting.

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

Mecanim provides a lot of advantages over legacy for interacting with the environment. If your canned animations support root motion, definitely go with Mecanim. American football is all about footwork, so you want to make the footwork as accurate as possible. Mecanim target matching will help a lot, too. If you have Unity Pro, you can also make use of inverse kinematics (IK) to make the players' hands grab the ball accurately, or use Final IK for even more IK options.

3. mremus

mremus

Thank you TonyLi for your response. I do have Unity Pro and will look into using the IK solutions you suggested as well as make use of Mecanim