Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question To create a new game, could I create assets/characters in GIMP and import them to a project?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RichAllen2023, Jun 12, 2021.

1. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Above.

I have an idea to try and make a simple Space Invaders style retro scrolling shooter, I can create simple Alien characters in GIMP and possibly use them as Assets in the game? Or do I create shapes in Unity to use as the characters?

2. Vryken

Vryken

RichAllen2023 likes this.
  3. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Here's a character I made in GIMP, saved as PNG files, how do I add them as playable characters? Daft question but I'm a total noob.

Attached Files:

4. Vryken

Vryken

There's three ways to import assets into Unity:
    1. Inside Unity, right-click the Assets folder in the Project Window, select "Import New Asset", and then select your files.

2. Outside Unity, select your files, then drag them into Unity and drop them into the Assets folder in the Project Window.

3. Outside Unity, copy/cut your files, navigate to your project's Assets folder on disk, and paste them there.

RichAllen2023 likes this.
  5. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

So I put the stick figures into the Assets folder, how now do I use them as playable characters?

6. Vryken

Vryken

Well, "a playable character" is an overarching task to complete, and what "a playable character" is varies from game to game.
    You need to break it down in to multiple smaller tasks:
    • Show the player character in the scene.
    • Make the player character move.
    • Make the player character jump.
    • Have the camera follow the player character.
    • Animate the player character's movements.
    • Etc.
    There's lots of different ways to implement it.

Try checking out the Roll-a-Ball tutorial and some other tutorials to get a general idea of how to write your own scripts and such to accomplish your tasks.

scottymclue likes this.
  7. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Thanks, I'll have a look at that, I have a busy day tomorrow.

8. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

So I have some assets including a character I want to use, do I need to put a camera on him and write movement script?

9. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I believe the suggestion was to get the Roll-a-Ball tutorial working first. It's the project I started with a few years ago when I started at Unity! Did you get it working? It does basically what you are asking. You could probably replace the images with your own.

scottymclue likes this.
  10. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

I tried to print out the Roll a Ball tutorial last night but I ran out of paper in my Printer, fortunately I bought a big load of paper on Amazon last week, so I'll print some stuff out.

scottymclue likes this.
  11. scottymclue

scottymclue

Sounds like a jolly grand idea Rich!

12. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You don't need to "print it out", you download the project and open it in Unity. Are you able to run the project? If you want to read the code, you double click on a script file and it will open it in your editor for reading. Reading it page after page will likely only be confusing. Also, you don't want to print out the binary files, that would take pages of unreadable text.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  13. I blame Unity. Unity web engineers or project managers or whoever decided this, in their infinite wisdom, disabled the copy function on code in the learn section. Can you imagine? Now, there is a workaround, if you hit the print function the code on the print preview can be copied. You just need to make sure you don't print the page out but cancel. I reported this many times.

14. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Sorry, I thought he was downloading (and printing) a zipped project file.

15. I honestly, don't know, I was just reminded to this. I hope he doesn't download code and print it out. :D

16. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

No, I'm printing a text tutorial for the roll a ball project.

JeffDUnity3D likes this.
  17. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

18. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

19. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

This may help, you can open My Assets from within the Editor

Assets.png

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

What for? You can download and save the different pages of the tutorial by right clicking on the page and use the "save as" menu, select "Page web, complete". Then you can open all the pages in your browser, even if you are off line. :)

21. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Yeah but even if I save the pages I still print them out to work on and follow the tutorial in Unity itself, I'm a man, I don't do multi-tasking! :D

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Neither do I, I Alt-Tab from Unity to the browser and back. :)