Search Unity

To be prepared working with Timeline, what do i need?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by junimaro, Sep 5, 2017.

1. junimaro

junimaro

Hi, guys. I am very new for unity, and some how i have to creat a couple of cut scenes using timeline(2017). And it seems i am facing serious troble because I am new in unity.

I have all three cutscenes, they are A, B, and C, and they are all saved as indiviual scene files.

The problem I have is that all the characters and cameras seems having some kind of misterious connection thru files. its like, when I have some changes for scene A, the scene B and scene C also have changes for the same object.

The way i worked is that I completed the scene A first, then made a copy of it, and modified the duplicated file as scene B. Then I realized such way will keep the connection between the assets, no matter if they are in the different scene files. They still share the changes.

Well, It drives me crazy, make me doing the same works forever.
    Even I started to make a fresh new scene, at some point I still need to copy some keys for like, position values or etc. Then I have to face unexpected changes again....

Someone knows what i missed or did wrong?

PS : Sorry i am not native english speaker, really hope you understood what i tried to tell you.

2. gekidoslayer

gekidoslayer

Unity Technologies

the part you are missing is that Timeline works with an asset in your project. When you duplicated your scene, this doesn't duplicate the actual Timeline asset, so you have 3 scenes pointing at a single Timeline, so when you change something in one scene, the others will change.

Look at the object with the timeline on it - you'll see a PlayableDirector component that is pointing to an asset. You need to duplicate the 'asset' when you duplicate the scene. Just clone the asset and drag it into the PlayableDirector component on each of the copied scenes.

https://docs.unity3d.com/2017.1/Documentation/Manual/TimelinePlayableDirector.html

JumpingGuy likes this.
  3. junimaro

junimaro

Thanks, I actually start having understanding how to play with timeline.
    I had struggled on this days, tried many invesgating myself, found out afew hints, and I now making cutscens without any problem.

julienb likes this.
  4. JumpingGuy

JumpingGuy

Great tip. However, the layers in the timeline are empty with no associations to the specific objects when I do this. In other words, there are no bindings that are copied over when I use the "Duplicate" for a Timeline.

Any tips? (Unity 2017.1.04p Personal)

Loving the new timeline and Cinemachine BTW. Pretty amazing.